3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – August 2011 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/239669-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-august-2011-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

SuperChick 08-31-2011 04:27 AM

Morning! A quick one this morning – on OP day yesterday, including a meal out at a restaurant where there was no drama… I ordered good options and didn’t overeat… seems so strange for it to be so straightforward!

Weigh-in: +0.6lb (no doubt from the additional salt / oil in the restaurant food, no big deal)
Credits: bike to work, read Arc, quick weights session before work, weigh-in, checked-in, trying to keep up the PMA!

I may have to check back later for personals as I have a meeting all morning… hope you’re all well :wave:

BillBlueEyes 08-31-2011 05:29 AM

Wecome Michi702

:welcome: Michi702 :welcome:

And, even though you've been around for nine months, :wel3fc:

How did you find out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find your way to this Beck thread on 3 Fat Chicks?

BillBlueEyes 08-31-2011 05:49 AM

Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was a high tension day as we averted three different potential disasters in the renovation. CREDIT moi for being alert, clear, and gentle; all got back on track with both happy contractors and happy owners. And I didn't try to eat my way through any of it.

onebyone - Sounds like productive art work time. For those two ceramic objects won't you have to get started in your new studio?

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Like the phrase, "Goldilocks problem" - I have that all the time with books.

Beverlyjoy – Yay for stretches - wish I did those more.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Love the notion of a sock monkey that needs to get to Alaska - kinda like a Curious George plot, LOL.

Pam (pamatga) – Me too on peanut butter with bananas - my favorite lunch! Enjoy that corn on the cob while it's still in season.

SuperChick - "Surf before work" sounds like priorities in order. Kudos for thinking ahead about your restaurant meal and following through with a "no drama" evening.

Tazzy - 90 ounces is a bunch of water - Kudos for persistence. Ouch for chocolate chips - I can't start on those little devils.

Michi702 - Kudos for recognizing that your job is a source of stress - it's easier to avoid eating over stress when you acknowledge where it's coming from. It's easier to move into a better job from working than it is from not working - employers have a bias toward the employed that makes it hard to break back into the working world. Keep it up working on eating while seated; it was a big shock to me that I was nibbling while standing a lot. Glad you've joined us over here.

Readers -
Quote:

chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 4 Give Yourself Credit
what to do . . .
To give yourself credit, do the following:

1. Notice every positive eating behavior you engage in - and every time you refrain from eating something you are not supposed to have.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 68.

Tazzy 08-31-2011 11:28 AM

Hi Everyone,

A better start to today for me, down 1.4 on the scale! :carrot: I kept the water to a reasonable amount yesterday of only 54 oz at my desk. Also had Zumba last night, credit for that and it was a nice temperature in the gym so that helped.

I'm most excited today that I can add my tracker to my signature. I'll be back later for the personals.

update now have to figure out how to the tracker to show and not just the suns!

onebyone 08-31-2011 12:08 PM

responding to tension

Hi coaches

Well, rats.
I weighed in *credit and saw +1.6 this morning = 279.1
It IS under 280 and it IS farther away from 275 and it IS a response to making soup yesterday from a bouillon base--that stuff is notoriously salty.

My mood this morning has made my mindset rebellious. There are more triggers than the weight gain on the scale, which, lets face it, for me happens every other day. I can admit here that I feel some anxiety as DH got paid today and I have no control over where the $ goes and how much or what I can spend on things I need. It's all tense to me today (I don't always feel like this) and I don't like it. I have eaten over the feelings. I ate all the eggs I boiled (5 sigh) instead of saving half for later. I ate an extra toast. And I just finished off a small can of treenuts. They've been hanging around the cupboard for some time and since there are no other snacky things here, it was the only thing I could find to satiate that "need to gnaw".

So, weightgain, offplan eating, eating too much, unwilling to stop... I'm not feeling very good right now. I guess it's time to go read my books and to regroup. I think I'll go make some tea and try to calm down. That's what the 4 Day Win plan says is a key to weightloss--a calm state of mind. I'm already calmer having written this. So, thanks.

Have a good Wednesday.

Michi702 08-31-2011 01:59 PM

Thanks to everyone who gave me such a warm welcome!

BillBlueEyes - I followed Lovely from Alternachicks from that forum to here; I like to have a very active support group where I can get and give feed back at least daily and I noticed how fast past this area of 3FC was :) I looked into Beck because I needed something more than just calorie counting. I had experienced moderate success on it before and still like following my 1800 calories a day plan, but mentally I just wasn't where I needed to be. I love that Dr. Beck focuses on attitudes and helps me create a positive change through her program. It's nice to ease my way in by doing just 1 thing a day too!

Today I'm on day 4 - giving myself credit - and I already have a bunch of credits. Is it possible to give yourself TOO many? :) The two that I am most proud of are (1) I'm writing down the 42 steps as I do them in my diet notebook to serve as a reminder of what I need to do everyday; (2) I went into the kitchen, discovered brownies, went for a small sliver of brownie and realized after one bite I was eating standing up. I grabbed a napkin and sat down to finish my second bite. I'm glad I didn't fall into the trap of 'I'll eat sitting down next time' and instead corrected the behavior.

As an update to yesterday: I made it through one of my last long shifts at work (I had my supervisor change my schedule because the stress was too much) and then went out to eat with my college room mate. I had a healthy meal picked out from Friendly's but they were all out of salad so I had to switch it up at the last minute. I still got veggies as a side instead of fries and I picked one of the healthier sandwiches on the menu (credit!). I was annoyed because I didn't like that I couldn't follow my original plan, but when I reviewed my day I realized I had burned so many calories at work I could safely eat my whole meal plus one scoop of ice cream and still be under my target calories for the day. I did just that :D

I look forward to sharing with you all again later. Everyone keep up the good work!

pamatga 08-31-2011 04:45 PM

Michi702 Well aren't you a cute little kitty...cat!! Sounds like you are already throwing yourself into things. Great Job and Credit for that!!

tazzy You are on fire! :woohoo:

gardenerjoy I too hate sappy solutions. Life is often gritty and that is one reason why I like Dr. Beck's style. Hers is not a "Goldilock's solution".

onebyone I am not going to mince words here, gf, I could easily see how the fact that DH has got an iron grip on the $$ is what caused your binge. Whether he is a reasonable person or not, you do need to express your feelings towards him about how you feel about not getting your needs met or you will be on this merry-go-round of "rebellion" which is just another word for self-sabotaging your efforts to become healthy and sane.

One of the most difficult things that I have had to learn to do was to assert myself and stand up for what I need as a person, especially in an intimate relationship. It takes a lot of patience, self-knowledge, compromise and maturity but it can and must be done. Actually, I have also had to "teach" my DH to do the same with me since he is the "silent" type about his own needs. I have also "taught" him to give out cues that I can "read" so that if he feels awkward saying "I need such and such..." he can speak in a code I "understand" and then I know what he needs/"wants".

Have you considered bartering for what you need? Offer to paint a picture for someone in exchange for art supplies? I don't know if your present circumstances allow you to take on a part time job or not so you could also purchase the items you might need to further your art career but that was another idea that came to mind. How about any of your friends or relatives?

The main thing that I would strongly encourage to do is don't eat over this! It is just plain not worth it! There is a better way and that is something that you will need to figure out how to do. I understand the temptation because that is probably what you have always done but you never get out of this yo-yo pattern of going up and down the weight lose ladder until you stop reacting to life's thorny problems by eating food you don't need and probably don't want.

Will it be easy? No, not the first, second or third time but by the time you have done it a few times, there will come an ease with it. If you haven't ever asserted yourself with him, it can be downright scary but you might be surprised at his reaction. He might not be as inflexible as you think. If he is, well, then you can decide what to do about that at that point. First, give the man a chance and see what he says. Just remember, respect comes first among equals.

Stats for Day 22 (8/30):

Note: BLC reduced my daily caloric range down to 1400-1800 calories today. Fortunately, I caught it "in time" when I was logging my evening meal.

**1768 calories 31 g fiber 3480 mg sodium
**Designated "Day Of Rest" so just continued to work in my closet, light housework(laundry/loaded dishwasher, made meals), did some hand sewing and watched semi-finals of AGT!
**F/V:lots of fruits today! 1 whole apple, 8 oz lite cranberry juice, 1 whole med banana, 1/2 c red grapes, 1/2 c fresh pineapple. No vegetables today unless you count the tomato sauce (which tomatoes are actually a fruit, so there you are!) I had with the spinach, carrot and tomato fettucine (the box says: 1 servings of vegetables in a 2 oz serving). I will not buy it again--taste felt "processed" and kind of "fake".(frankenfood??? :fr:)
**Sugar: None
**Water: does chewing multiple glasses of ice cubes count? Otherwise, lots of Coke Zero Cherry, my new favorite!
**Sleep: 8 blessed hours. TYJ!
**Post-yes
**Planned: No
**Log: Yes

Dumb me, I noticed that part of this "Challenge" was reporting some of these other elements that I wasn't so I have added a couple. I still do not pre-plan my meals the day before. I know that Dr. Beck stresses that as well. I'm not being difficult about it but I have found that too many times I am looking at this pre-planned menu and I am going, I don't want to eat that now, I want to eat this instead. My kitchen is "clean" so I can't "go wild" in there. There are no treenuts lurking in the pantry or Kit Kats above the microwave (he eats them too fast for me to get my hands on them--again respect, they are his!) I know some of you here pre-plan your next day's meals. Isn't that rather stifling?

Well, folks, I am going to confess this since it was probably more obvious to you than it was to me (isn't that the way life is though?). BLC went and reduced my recommended daily caloric range since I dropped down to where I am no longer in the "heavy weight" category (no pun intended).

Could you really say I was eating a reduced-calorie food plan before when you see :rolleyes: some of my daily stats. NO!! :nono: You are all just too kind. I did not hear even a whisper of "psst, ....." Such love! :angel: Back at ya :grouphug:

So, now, I am really going to need those response cards!! I am going to do my very best to stay under 1800 calories per day. Since we all know how much I eat out, now the real work begins. As I was telling my DH last night, I have "listened" and read how all of you have worked so diligently to tip toe around the land mines when it comes to eating out and truly staying on a more restricted food plan and now, it is my turn. I want to do all of you proud so I am "sucking it up" :frypan: and putting my hand to the plow. :club: :stars:

Tazzy 08-31-2011 05:20 PM

Back again today. I'm on Day 27 of the book, Master the Seven Question Technique, and just glanced through the chapter. I think I'll take a couple of days to go through this one to give it the time and effort that it deserves.

Michi702 Welcome to the group. It is a very welcoming, supportive and friendly group of people with lots of knowledge on the program.

pamatga Credit for changing categories on your BL Challenge. I have to admit I'm one of those people who plan the next day's food, except on the weekends. It's for a couple of reasons, first I bring my breakfast, lunch and 2 snacks to work with me and second, my 2 stepsons are at our house every other day. As much as I can convince my DH to eat Raisin Bran for dinner some nights the two boys would look at me like I had two heads! I'm also too cheap to buy lunch out everyday and would never know what to get. There is a grocery store only 3 blocks from work so if I don't plan things it's easy to go there and still make relatively healthy choices.

onebyone Sorry to hear you are having a yucky day. Credit for getting your book, re-grouping and finding a calm state of mind. I can relate to your situation, in our house I'm the one who looks after the finances and my DH doesn't always keep track of how much money is in the bank account. He will occassionally buy things that are not necessary and then wonder why I get upset about it. My first response is to head straight for the kitchen pantry and eat something "just to show him". Not sure exactly what my eating is going to show him but I think it makes me feel better because I can control that (and I do have some control issues). I need to find a better strategy to cope with at those times.

gardenerjoy Credit for planning to weigh everyday in September, hard to believe that tomorrow already! I read a book recently you might find interesting, it was called "A Waist is a Terrible Thing to Mind" by Karen Schalf Linamen. Had some interesting persceptive to it and some things I was not so sure of.

BBE Yep those chocolate chips are one thing I should keep out of my kitchen! Credit for happy contractors and happy owners!

Hi To Lexxiss, Beverleyjoy, Alana (in Canada) and Superchick

And I quote I received today from a friend:

The Dalai Lama was asked what surprised him most, he said “Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.

Beverlyjoy 08-31-2011 05:24 PM

Hi folks... today I am struggling. This often happens after a trip where I've had to work really hard to stay on my program. It's like a 'let down'.. It's something I must work on. I'll keep trying!!!!

Hope you are having a great day.

Welcome Michi207!

Lexxiss 08-31-2011 09:19 PM

Hi Coaches!

A successful Beck day, so far, although my most challenging time of day is here. Food was not planned...we traveled and jumped right into painting. Green smoothie for lunch, and dinner out with mom. We had been at the restaurant last week so I planned ahead and ordered what I had picked off the internet menu. I knew there were some delicious entrees which would be downright insane to even consider….chile rellenos, etc. Exercise was painting and scraping. I had a good weigh in this morning.I am happy when I can maintain my losses. Sometimes I don’t know what to expect when I step on a different scale…*credit* for continuing to weigh daily.

BillBlueEyes, now that was a very happy day! *credit* for not eating your way through any of it!

gardenerjoy, I always say, "take what you need and leave the rest". That might apply to your book.

SuperChick, yay! for avoiding restaurant drama!

onebyone, I'm glad you felt calmer after coming here and hope you found some Beck skills you were willing to use to help you get back on track

michi702, I don't think you can give yourself too much credit! I loved those first days as I was learning to eat while sitting. Great that you're already correcting your behavior instead of waiting until next time.

Pam(atga), I saw a Georgia license plate today and said to myself, "I have a friend in Georgia." Sending you supportive thoughts as you reduce your calories. Me thinks it will feel great to move up a notch with WL. BTW your post today cracked me up! Took me a minute to translate TYJ

Tazzy, love that quote. Do the quotes come from a specific site? You are to the part of the book that I took very slowly...lots of info. Congrats on the scale moving down.

Beverlyjoy, hang in there...don't let one day get you down. I understand the let down, it happens to me, too.

gardenerjoy 08-31-2011 11:37 PM

I'm having some really useful insights working through A Course in Weight Loss by Marianne Williamson. Today was about understanding Not-Thin Me so she can deliver her message and go away. Her message seems to be something about what it means to me to be a grown up.

I met my exercise goals for August. Credit moi! And I need that credit. Dr. Beck is right that it's too easy to think everything is going wrong and that I might as well give up. In fact, exercise went quite well in August -- I overshot my goals and did it with a day to spare. That's a success I can build again.

BillBlueEyes 09-01-2011 05:20 AM

Discussion continues on the September 2011 Thread

Please join us as this discussion continues on

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/239669-beck-diet-life-solution-september-2011-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach