Old 06-27-2014, 02:10 PM   #1  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Angry Atkins New Breakfast Sandwiches

Received an email today from Atkins Nutritionals. Out of curiousity, I opened the email (I usually just delete without opening).

They're advertising 4 new breakfast sandwiches. Bacon with egg & cheese, Canadian bacon with egg & cheese, sausage with egg & cheese and sausage with egg. First thing that caught my eye was, they are advertising these are for all phases of Atkins (yes, this includes Induction). The description of each sandwich begins with "custom english muffin". I knew it would only get more questionable from here. The ingredients state, "contains WHEAT, eggs, MILK & SOY". The way Dr. Atkins wrote his plan, these ingredients are not acceptable on Induction.

Last year it was the plain & peanut M&M candies and chocolate covered almonds that are "acceptable for all phases". Containing nuts, milk & soy.
The frozen meals (again, "acceptable for all phases") that include Meatloaf (made with oats), Italian style PASTA bake (yes, Pasta made with wheat), & Swedish Meatballs (containing soy, milk & eggs) If we wait long enough is "acceptable for all phases" pizza far behind??

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 353/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Jersey - WOW! Well at this point what would the difference be?? Nothing! Wheat is wheat!

That's so frustrating b/c it creates so much confusion for Atkins dieters. I admit I got suckered by the bars --- once lol, the scale immediatly showed me how wrong they were!
Ali06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali06 View Post
Jersey - WOW! Well at this point what would the difference be?? Nothing! Wheat is wheat!

That's so frustrating b/c it creates so much confusion for Atkins dieters. I admit I got suckered by the bars --- once lol, the scale immediatly showed me how wrong they were!
Ali, I'm not going to tell you I've never eaten an Atkins bar because I have. I will tell you I never ate an Atkins bar while on Induction ( and I did an extended Induction of 6 months give or take).
Dr. Atkins referred to them as convenience foods. This is a good description because that is exactly what they are....convenient. They were created to be used in emergency situations when other low carb foods were not available (such as when traveling). He cautioned while yes, these products may make doing Atkins easier, be sure to read labels and ingredients carefully, don't overdo these products and most importantly, to always follow the rules of Induction.
The new books that have been written since Dr. Atkins passing permit these items during Induction and the remaining 3 phases of Atkins. As you mentioned, this can be confusing for those doing Atkins. But, as you also mentioned, the scale will quickly show the results.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Gotta admit, that whole Italian syle PASTA bake Atkins Nutritionals is advertising as being "acceptable for all phases" really irks me So....I investigated a bit further....and....umm yeah.....no surprise.

The Italian Style PASTA Bake (a frozen Atkins entree), is advertised as "only 7 net carbs". If you are unfamiliar with net carbs, net carbs are total carbs minus dietary fiber. The ingredients, which Atkins Nutritionals acknowledges contain WHEAT & MILK (last time I looked at the Induction acceptable foods list (including the one in the "New" book), did not include these items). The PASTA is made from ENRICHED SEMOLINA FLOUR. I put the information listed on the packaging into a hidden carb calculator and guess what.....uh huh, not "only 7 net carbs" but rather 13.85 carbs

When it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. But, if it looks like a duck & it quacks like a duck....its a duck! Or in this situation, should I say, its a dud!!
Old 07-02-2014, 11:47 AM   #5  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I think the people that run the diet now are trying to make it more look more appealing to attract new dieters and make more money off the products they make.

I've had the shakes on the rare occasion during induction as a treat, but I always counted the actual carbs and not what they put on the front of the package. I don't trust the whole sugar alcohol thing.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:24 PM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieM View Post
I think the people that run the diet now are trying to make it more look more appealing to attract new dieters and make more money off the products they make.

I've had the shakes on the rare occasion during induction as a treat, but I always counted the actual carbs and not what they put on the front of the package. I don't trust the whole sugar alcohol thing.
It definitely has become more about profit than anything else! If you've ever looked at any of those "Atkins products", they are outrageously priced!! Really sad.

I agree, if you are going to partake in any of these Atkins items, you need to count actual carbs. What is printed on the packaging can not & should not be trusted.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #7  

The amount of pasta in the frozen meal is so small you almost can't find it. If these products keep a person on track instead of giving up, I can't find them all bad.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:42 PM   #8  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
The amount of pasta in the frozen meal is so small you almost can't find it. If these products keep a person on track instead of giving up, I can't find them all bad.
If someone chooses to eat these processed meals to "keep them on track", they need to count the carbs accordingly and not rely on what the packaging states. Just sayin'

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 07-06-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:24 AM   #9  
Enjoying the journey

S/C/G: 225/192/170

Height: 5-5.5

@StephanieM - so glad to see you post!!! You are one of the reasons I joined this forum over a year ago!! I was a stalker until the day you wrote wondering if there was anyone reading the thread!! Posting here has helped me stay on plan and/or get accountable and get back on plan...depending on the day!! How is your journey going? I'm still floating around 10 pounds from my goal and I am the only one standing in my way! Best wishes for an on-plan day!!
Lulu NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:38 PM   #10  
Ventura County, CA

S/C/G: 196.4/190.0/165

Height: 5'7"

Ok, I'm feeling totally guilty now cuz I bought those breakfast sandwiches to try. Sometimes I have busy mornings and can't rustle up an egg fast enough before I have to leave. I just wanted some grab and go things on-hand for when I am running late. Looking at the label, there is a lot of fiber in them to bring it to 4 net carbs. The tell-tale sign will be if I'm hungry in just a couple of hours. When I have eggs/bacon, I'm good for at least 4-5 hours.

(only bought 1 box of 2 to try) - don't kill me...lol.
Pam
pamhoff805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:07 AM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamhoff805 View Post
Ok, I'm feeling totally guilty now cuz I bought those breakfast sandwiches to try. Sometimes I have busy mornings and can't rustle up an egg fast enough before I have to leave. I just wanted some grab and go things on-hand for when I am running late. Looking at the label, there is a lot of fiber in them to bring it to 4 net carbs. The tell-tale sign will be if I'm hungry in just a couple of hours. When I have eggs/bacon, I'm good for at least 4-5 hours.

(only bought 1 box of 2 to try) - don't kill me...lol.
Pam
Don't worry Pam, lol.

For busy mornings, I always kept a bowl of hard boiled eggs and a bag of string cheese in the fridge. Grab & go.

Since the Atkins breakfast sandwiches contain wheat, they really shouldn't be eaten until the pre-maintenance phase of Atkins....although they are labeled "for all phases".
Old 07-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #12  

Hi Everyone...

New member here.....I actually found this post searching for the new Atkins breakfast sandwiches......

Just to let you know, if you have not seen these in person, the muffin is half the size as a regular English.......it's the same with the pasta dinner...I literally counted the small pasta.....6......which I discarded anyway (the sausage bits and cheese was amazing by itself).

Back to breakfast.....I plan on having 2 sandwiches (1 box) but remove the muffin....when these are on sale, it's great to take the egg, cheese and bacon off and eat it by itself.....

Breakfast is the meal of choice for me..better than lunch and dinner...so I like to do breakfast good! I work 3 morning shifts, so I only need 3 days of 'on the run' breakfasts..... Usually, McDonalds has the 2 for $3 EggMc Muffin,etc... discard the bread, and cheese (since it's processed) and you have a great breakfast on the cheap, however, they just changed it to a Sausage McGriddle...can't pay $3 for 2 sausages! lol...Does anybody else do the 2 for $3 technique?

Anyway, just thought you should know that the 'real' English muffin is soo small....

- Mark

Last edited by maansman; 07-07-2014 at 06:51 PM.
maansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:14 PM   #13  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by maansman View Post
Hi Everyone...

New member here.....I actually found this post searching for the new Atkins breakfast sandwiches......

Just to let you know, if you have not seen these in person, the muffin is half the size as a regular English.......it's the same with the pasta dinner...I literally counted the small pasta.....6......which I discarded anyway (the sausage bits and cheese was amazing by itself).

Back to breakfast.....I plan on having 2 sandwiches (1 box) but remove the muffin....when these are on sale, it's great to take the egg, cheese and bacon off and eat it by itself.....

Breakfast is the meal of choice for me..better than lunch and dinner...so I like to do breakfast good! I work 3 morning shifts, so I only need 3 days of 'on the run' breakfasts..... Usually, McDonalds has the 2 for $3 EggMc Muffin,etc... discard the bread, and cheese (since it's processed) and you have a great breakfast on the cheap, however, they just changed it to a Sausage McGriddle...can't pay $3 for 2 sausages! lol...Does anybody else do the 2 for $3 technique?

Anyway, just thought you should know that the 'real' English muffin is soo small....

- Mark
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info.

I've got to be honest, for me personally, even on sale, those Atkins breakfast sandwiches are expensive. Especially if I were going to dump the soo small English muffin and eat only the egg, bacon & cheese. You can buy a dozen eggs, a pound of bacon and real chesse (not the processed "cheese food") On the weekend, boil up a dozen eggs, cook the bacon and keep in the fridge. On your way out the door, grab a couple of eggs, a few strips of bacon & some cheese This ends up being less expensive than buying those processed sandwiches. I buy string cheese because its individually wrapped and easy to grab on the go.

As for sausage, you really need to read labels. Lots of brands are full of fillers and sugar.

Avoiding processed foods and sugar is not only very important on this way of life but, for your overall health.

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 07-07-2014 at 08:15 PM.