Old 07-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #31  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Tiff's post got me to remembering a delicious salad I had at a pub in Lancaster, PA. It was romaine hearts that were lightly grilled, topped with grilled chicken, roasted red peppers, chunks of avacado, crispy bacon pieces and creamy parmesan-peppercorn dressing. It was delish!
I also wanted to mention in addition to reading Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (2002 & prior versions), you may want to check out Good Calories,Bad Calories....Why We Get Fat....and...Wheat Belly. All are excellent and will give you a better understanding of the low carb lifestyle.
Finding what works for you is key. Never give up, you can accomplish your goals!!
All the best to you!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #32  
Born to lose!

S/C/G: 160/150/125

Height: 5 foot 1 inch

I was aware that maybe I could eat fruits and grains - years ago when I lost weight, I ate those things. I wasn't trying any particular diet, just eating healthy. I hope I can tolerate them later on!

I have seen the mixed greens you described. I do like romaine, I have eaten that before, it's just that I'm on a fixed income and it seemed that a head of iceberg over time would be cheaper, and cheaper than buying mixed greens. But I guess I can try it eventually. What is the carb count on mixed greens? 1.5 per two cups right?

I know we're all different. And I hope that Atkins works for me, because it's not for everyone, but it seems to work for many. I'm spacing out two salads tonight with what I have in the fridge: two cups iceberg, 1/4 red bell pepper, 1/4 button mushrooms, and 1/4 onions. That brings my veggie carbs to about 17. And I'll just skimp on the cheese today.
jamie26301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #33  
Born to lose!

Jersygyrl - I have Why We Get Fat, but I went straight to the chapter on what to eat. And I have The New Atkins for the New You, which I've read the chapters in it on how low-carb diets work. Is New Atkins not on par with Dr. Atkins 2002 book?

By the way, the meal you had in PA sounds good! I've never tried grilling lettuce, but I think I will!
Old 07-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #34  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie26301 View Post
Jersygyrl - I have Why We Get Fat, but I went straight to the chapter on what to eat. And I have The New Atkins for the New You, which I've read the chapters in it on how low-carb diets work. Is New Atkins not on par with Dr. Atkins 2002 book?

By the way, the meal you had in PA sounds good! I've never tried grilling lettuce, but I think I will!
Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (2002 & prior) was written by Dr. Atkins himself.....The New Atkins for the New You, was not. Sadly, it hasn't remained true to the way Dr. Atkins himself wrote it. Thats why if anyone asks, I always recommend Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution
I've never grilled lettuce either.....or.....even thought of it....but, it really was quite tasty.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #35  
Born to lose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (2002 & prior) was written by Dr. Atkins himself.....The New Atkins for the New You, was not. Sadly, it hasn't remained true to the way Dr. Atkins himself wrote it. Thats why if anyone asks, I always recommend Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution
How has it not remained true? Is the methods different? Or it's just not worded quite the same way?
Old 07-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #36  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
How has it not remained true? Is the methods different? Or it's just not worded quite the same way?
I think the main things that come to mind are, eating 2 cups of cooked, non-starchy veggies plus 6 cups of leafy greens per day during Induction. I don't particularly feel this is a bad thing, just different from what Dr. Atkins instructed. New Atkins for a New You also says no exercise is required in the initial phase of Atkins and recmmends waiting to incorporate regular exercise in the later phases. This is contradictory to Dr. Atkins philosophy.
Then of course, there are those Atkins products advertised as being appropriate for all phases of Atkins.
While the New Atkins for the New You certainly has its good points, it is no substitution for what Dr. Atkins himself wrote & recommended.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #37  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

I definitely agree that exercise is non-negotiable in all phases! That salad you posted (jerseygirl) sounds great! As far as the cost vs benefit of lettuce types-iceberg is pretty empty nutrition wise, the romaine, mixed greens or baby spinach are better. I got atleast 6 decent sized salads out of 1the dole rectangular spring mix greens for about $3.50... to cut costs and increase nutrition you could mix iceberg with a more nutrient dense green.
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #38  
Born to lose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffNeedsChange View Post
I got atleast 6 decent sized salads out of 1the dole rectangular spring mix greens for about $3.50... to cut costs and increase nutrition you could mix iceberg with a more nutrient dense green.
Great idea!

Do you think you can lose weight on Atkins without exercise? I want to lose a few pounds before I get back into it.

Last edited by jamie26301; 07-26-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #39  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Do you think you can lose weight on Atkins without exercise? I want to lose a few pounds before I get back into it.
Yes, you can lose weight on Atkins without exercise....but.....as Dr. Atkins said, it is not negotiable.
I will be honest, I've never been a believer in excessive exercise. I enjoy walking and I enjoy the Walk Away The Pounds dvd's. They are easy to follow and some incorporate light weights and stretchy bands. The workouts go pretty quickly, before you know it, you're done.
The key about exercise is to find something you enjoy, do it & stick with it!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #40  
Born to lose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Yes, you can lose weight on Atkins without exercise....but.....as Dr. Atkins said, it is not negotiable.
I will be honest, I've never been a believer in excessive exercise. I enjoy walking and I enjoy the Walk Away The Pounds dvd's. They are easy to follow and some incorporate light weights and stretchy bands. The workouts go pretty quickly, before you know it, you're done.
The key about exercise is to find something you enjoy, do it & stick with it!
I have the Walk Away the Pounds too! Love it. I've just been lazy lately. I used to walk miles a day.

When I go back to school (August 20) in between classes I plan to hop on the treadmil and listen to my lectures.

Last edited by jamie26301; 07-26-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #41  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

Definitely start slow and steady with the exercise to decrease the chance of injuring yourself. I went from being a couch potato to doing "bootcamp" exercise group and hurt myself permanently so starting slow and buding up will help. I have to admit some days when I am tired or my feet/ankles (what I injuredI last year) are hurting too bad I do some cleaning añd a little playing with my son for exercise, if I am in a lot of pain I do some "get fit while you sit"for exercises (I am not allowed to walk for exercise so I have to improvise.
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote