Old 04-16-2012, 05:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/ticker/145

Height: 5'8

Default Cheeeseeeee :d

Hello fellow Atkins devotees!

Just wondering about everyone's cheese intake during induction. I think I may be going overboard a bit. I just love Swiss and Jarlsberg!

Should I cut them out completely?

Stats are:

23 yr old female.
185, goal of 135 by Nov 30 2012.
On induction for about a week, will weigh in on the 27th April. Hoping to be under 180!

Any other tips? I think cutting the cheese will drastically help me.

Love to all!!
California17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

During Induction, 3 to 4 ozs. of cheese is permitted. Keep in mind not all types of chesse is permitted during Induction (they are listed in the book).
For many (myself included), cheese can be a common "staller". I try to limit it to 2 oz. a day and that seems to work well for me. Its pretty much trial & error, what works for some doesn't work for others. My best advice is to closely monitor your cheese intake to see how its affecting you and adjust it accordingly.
The main focus when doing Atkins is to be sure you are eating plenty of fat and drinking lots of water.
When done correctly, Atkins works
All the best to you!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: Too Much/Too Much/130

Height: 5'5

be careful with the cheese....even on atkins.

I stall faster than a '32 Ford if i eat more than 3 oz of cheese. (3 oz of cheese is about three to four string cheeses).

If you eat more than that you're going to stall.

I am still convinced many of us stall because of the calories. I know many people on Atkins hate the word calorie, but it does play a factor in the whole scheme of things.

If you ripping the cheese of a large pizza and eating it, it wont fair for you

Last edited by Annah; 04-17-2012 at 08:16 AM. Reason: other
Annah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:48 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/ticker/145

Height: 5'8

I've gone cold turkey on cheese (except for mozzarella as the brand I've found has 0 carbs but only small amounts every few days)!

Thanks for the replies ladies.

Jerseygyrl, you're a bit of an Atkins superstar on this forum so thank you for your input. I take particular care to read and take on board everything you have to say. Atkins isn't going the best for me at the moment (due to the cheese I think, and lack of fat!), but I've just gone to the shops and bought mayo and olives. I plan on putting mayo on everything and embracing bacon (finally!). I'm going to get my fat up, and do it properly so that it works for me too!!
California17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Too Much/Too Much/130

Height: 5'5

if you're eating all that cheese you have no issues with lack of fat in your diet as cheese is mostly pure fat. There is isn't anything secretive about cheese specifically that causes one to stall (no stall enzymes or amino acids). We stall on cheese because there's so much fat packed into one small cube. So if you much down on a whole deli packet of mozzarella cheese (10) slices you may think you are doing well because you only consumed 8 grams of carbs but in reality you just consumed 950 calories....and you still have the rest of the day to go.

I know people on Atkins REALLY hate the word calorie but Atkins himself said you eat until you feel satisfied and you don't camp in front of the fridge. That's a politically correct statement of saying "don't overkill your caloric intake of foods in that fridge."

When I eat cheese I may lose .4 pounds a week to 0. If I don't eat cheese I may lose 2 pounds to 3.5 pounds a week. I honestly believe it is because for such a small food item it is completely full of fat and calories.

Because with tons of mayo too. I noticed when I was liberal with mayo, I would stall on that too.

Last edited by Annah; 04-30-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Annah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #6  
LLV

Although it's not really necessary to count calories when cutting carbs, it doesn't mean that calories don't count.

It's hard to NOT eat cheese when cutting carbs, though. Cheese has become a more frequent snack of mine, but I still try and watch my calorie intake. It's easy to put away more calories than you need when you eat stuff like that.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

I lost around 30 some lbs. on Atkins years ago when I was in my mid-30's (lost the accumulated weight from 3 pregnancies at that time).....and then about 20 years later I lost around 60 lbs. in my mid to late 50's on Atkins (and was on this site through most of it....this was just 2-3 years ago). The weight I'd gained between the two times was from a medication I'd been on that literally shut down my metabolism.

What was really interesting was that the first time I did Atkins successfully, I was able to use quite a bit of Splenda and eat quite a bit of cheese....and had no problem losing weight and remaining in ketosis. The second time around was a whole 'nother story. Now granted, I'd been 20 years younger the first time....but I don't really think that was the issue. I truly believe it was the problems with my metabolism that had developed....mainly from a medication I'd been put on.

Being on a metabolic diet like Atkins (and I happen to think Atkins is the best of all of them) is like doing a scientific experiment and I think that's because the critical element IS one's metabolism and there's a great deal of variation when it comes to different individuals....AND there can even be a variation for the same individual, depending on what things that have happened that might have altered or affected one's metabolism.

For me, the ketone sticks were critical. They were what let me know, day to day, how my body might be reacting to anything and everything I consumed. The scale, of course, was also a yardstick....but it could not be as closely correlated, time-wise, like the ketone sticks could.
Now...on Atkins maintenance....I don't really need the ketone sticks and the scale is my measuring stick....but when in active weight-loss mode, I had to use the ketone sticks.

And then there's Kim....who didn't use the ketone sticks because they never showed results (the sticks never turned color for her)...and yet she STILL lost the weight.....which just goes to show you the endless variations.

At first, the early Atkins book is your bible and your go-to-reference....until eventually, you have it literally memorized and totally understand the diet.

When it comes to carbs....you start to learn that all carbs are not the same....and to me this is critical to having success with this diet/WOE. For instance, I could literally eat quite a huge amount of approved veggie carbs and remain in ketosis and keep losing weight (both times).....yet with cheese and cream cheese....different story. And to further complicate it....it became much more severe when my metabolism became compromised and I had to severely limit dairy the second time (which I'd not had to really do the first time).

On the other hand, I have a sister-in-law who, after sticking to strict induction for the 2 weeks....progressed to the OWL levels but allowed herself one can of regular coke and one tblsp. of peanut butter daily and still lost quite a bit of weight. Go figure.

The second time I attempted to do Atkins...after having had such easy success with it 20 years prior to that....I absolutely could not get the diet to work. I tried over and over....and became more and more frustrated....as I already knew this diet like the back of my hand and couldn't figure out what was wrong.

Long story short....after much experimentation and help online....I discovered my metabolism had become so altered by the medication I'd been on, that I could no longer have more than 2 packets of Splenda daily. No more sprinkling Splenda on cream cheese, etc....I could ONLY have my daily coffee and that was it.

Now here's the thing with artificial sweeteners....in order to make them in powdered form, they have to add maltodextrin. Each packet has 0.5 Gm. carb in it but they can list the total carbs as zero because they can do that as long as it's less than 1 (per unit....which in this case is per packet). You CAN buy liquid artificial sweetener and don't have to worry about limiting the amount, really. As long as there's no maltodextrin, there is truly ZERO carbs in it......and things like crystal lite and diet soda usually use the liquid sweetener so there are no hidden carbs in them.

But....I'd developed a severe sensitivity to the carbs in the regular Splenda. However....what's really interesting is....after finally going into ketosis once the Splenda was almost eliminated.....eventually, after about 4 months, I was able to slightly and gradually increase the Splenda to about 4-6 packets a day and remain in ketosis. My assumption is that the really strict induction, over time, began to correct the damage that the medication had done to my metabolism.

Anyway...this is why I don't post that often...because I tend to write these long and boring diatribes......but after having such success with Atkins twice and now success with maintenance for several years now.....my advice for ANYONE on Atkins who might be having any problems is:

Buy the early Atkins book (I believe it's the 1972 one?), read it cover to cover before you start and continuously refer to it. Use it as your bible until you practically know the diet inside and out. You not only learn what to do but also WHY and HOW this metabolic diet works....some college-level physiology, really.
Get ketone sticks so that you can evaluate exactly how your body responds to various things. Everyone is different. I truly believe that Atkins, done correctly, will work for everyone but it works much better for some than others....and I believe that even for them it will work great as long as they take the time to learn all the ins and outs of what things work with their unique metabolism.

For me....not all carbs were equal. I could eat tons of approved veggies (spinach, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, etc.) and not even worry about the amount of carbs. But with dairy, esp. cheese and cream cheese, I had to be extremely careful. BTW, some have problems with mushrooms....but not me....I could eat tons of them with no problem.

The other thing for me was that I not only HAD to eat fat every day to maintain the ketosis and the weight loss, but it HAD to be either mayonnaise and/or butter. Just eating fatty meat or some fatty cheese wouldn't do it. I had to slather either mayo or butter on something I ate daily.

Most of Atkins is logical physiologically.....but there are a few things that you just have to figure out for yourself through trial and error. My advice is get the book, read the book, refer to the book, get ketone sticks and monitor carefully what foods do and don't work for you.

OK...sorry for the book. I have the horrible penchant to perseverate at length for some reason.

Deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote