Old 03-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Question went over daily protein and under daily fat is this gonna hurt my diet?

Ok so I had a total of 1425 cals today 91.5 fat 17 carbs 135.5 protein do you think this will hurt my atkins diet? I am trying to stay 70% 25% and 5% but I cant seem to do it except to stay under my carbs.
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 216.5/ticker/153

Height: 5'4''

I have to be honest, I don't pay attention. All I monitor is carbs. I do tend to try to keep the fat and the protein close, because your body CAN turn protein into junk whereas fat is neutral. I don't think one or two days a week will hurt you, though. Most women can and do need about that much protein a day. And since your carbs are low, you're probably fine. But for me, I track the fat and protein, but I don't 'count' it the same way I do my carbs.
JustJ280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

I've lost 60 pounds not really paying much attention to my percentages. It's not a bad thing to watch it but don't worry about it if it's not perfect sometimes.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 264/264/199

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJ280 View Post
All I monitor is carbs.
Same here...I try to make sure it's not too lean, but that's about it. I know I probably should pay closer attention to my actual protein intake, but that's more effort...lol...and may take away the "easiness" of this plan.
SaskNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:07 PM   #5  

The crappy thing is if there were such a thing as a meatitarian I would probably be one lol. I dont like veggies much so I am really choking them down right now. Its hard to not go over on the protein when you eat so much meat, but I guess its time to bust out some more salads!! Thanks you guys.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #6  

What veggies do you like? Have you tried any new ones lately? I would say just keep trying new ones and eventually you will find a good stock of ones you like. Then once you are out of induction, you will be able to add in some fruits like berries that will REALLY help. I mostly eat salad -- Spring Mix -- and I love that with some oil, salt, and pepper! But I also love a lot of other veggies. Some sauteed and some raw. Just depends. I do a LOT of roasting -- chopped veggies with oil (I prefer sunflower) then salt and pepper. Sometimes I add other seasonings like garlic, but it's mostly salt and pepper. Then I throw it in the oven on a cookie sheet at 350 until they start to get those yummy brown spots. Mmmm! And don't forget you can have up to 20 olives per day, half an avocado, and then dairy and cheeses. The cheese (3-4oz per day) are great to have because they are mostly fat which makes you feel full. Anyways, it'll get easier the longer you do it and you find foods that work for you and that you actually like.

You'll figure out what works for you through trial and error. Just go through the list of veggies and try a new one once or twice a week. You may eat it one way and HATE it but then try it another and love it. Just takes time just like any other way of eating. I can't remember if I told you this, but a blog I really like (besides my own! HA!) is Your Lighter Side. She does a GREAT and informative blog with lots of great recipes that are non-veggie lover friendly. LOL Just google it and you'll find it!
Old 03-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #7  

I do like some veggies and I think I have been doing a good job getting them down plain but its been hard because I am not their biggest fan. I like peppers, bell, hot and so on. I like carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, of course my two favs corn and potatoes are no nos lol. I guess I do like more veggies then I have given my self credit for I guess I am just still so worried about all the darn fat that I just cant cook them or eat them the way I really like them, but thats a whole nother battle.

I dont really like spinach but I have been eating a ton of it lately as a filler because it really has nothing in it. But then comes the ranch which has a ton of fat <<< there goes the fat thing again. I guess I just need to quit worry about that or should I be?

I really have to reprogram my self to give in to the low carb life style. I spent so many years watching everything else that its so hard not to now. I feel like I am going to do this wrong if I dont stop keep suck strict list (obsesing in other words) but its really hard. its so hard for me to tell my self bacon is ok LOL so I am really just trying to eat everything in moderation and make sure those things fall with in the limits that fit 5% carbs.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #8  

You are right about that!! And trust me I know why this diet works and how it does but I have been so pre programed to think that I shouldnt eat fat that its hard to get my head around the fact that I actually need fat!
Old 03-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

You should be cooking your veggies in oil or coating them with butter. Not eating enough fat on Atkins is dangerous.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 264/264/199

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsy View Post
Not eating enough fat on Atkins is dangerous.
Really? I didn't know that.
SaskNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #11  

I didnt either. I mean I know if you dont have enough carbs or fat then the body will burn protein for ATP ( the bodies energy) But is that why you are saying its dangerous?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 208/194/160

Height: 5'6"

Brooklynn, do you have any version of the Atkins book? That's the best place to find the answers about fat. It's not to say that answers cannot be found here, but I think if you had a book, you might not be as worried.
Fizziecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW 255/220/155

Height: 5.5

You need a certain amount of fat for gallstone health, as well as on this type of diet your body needs fat to digest any vitamins. I know there is a much longer explanation but really try not to eat super low fat on a low carb diet, its bad!
spaghetticat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #14  

I don't know about 'dangerous' but I do know that not getting the fat will slow you down. Fat, in your body, is neutral. When you're eating fat, you're body doesn't get that message to store fat because it's coming in. So, it just goes on about it's business. But when you don't get enough, it can and will turn excess protein into fat. That's why you need it. Protein and fat are what make you feel full as well as some fiber. But you don't want too much fiber! But fat is that good stuff that makes your skin great, your hair and nails strong, and our minds clear. Not to mention none of that tummy growling that can happen when watching cals and fat! And it's not like you have to eat bowls of it (GROSS) but you do need to have some at every meal to help you feel full and satisfied. It'll get easier and easier as time goes on and you will find that once you add it in, you need less to feel full. Such is the wonder of Low Carb!
Old 03-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #15  

Yeah I have noticed that I am not eating any where near as much as when I started. Its only been a week but that last couple of days I have really had to tell my self EAT WOMAN! I just got over 900 cals yesterday and trust me it wasnt for a lack of trying! I eat a lot of cheese and meat but am really trying to incorporate more veggies. I know its a large amount of protein but my husband bought me some shrimp I told him I cant have the sauce with it and he said NOPE... BUT you CAN have SCAMPI! OMG I forgot and I so so so love that stuff! Hes making it for me tonight with some different cooked/grilled veggies. He said he would like to start helping me make my meals so he can get in the habit to! WOO HOO lol.

EDIT: Plus that way I dont have to worry so much about it. He knows not to make it with many if any carbs so I know I am in safe hands LOL. OF course this may only be a weekend deal!

Last edited by Brooklynn; 03-27-2011 at 03:16 PM.