Old 03-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229.8/223/175

Height: 5'8"

Default Need advice

Hello I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I have been on a low carb diet for a long time and I just stopped losing weight! I would like to lose more weight so I decided to try Atkins. I started induction 3 1/2 weeks ago and I lost 3.4 pounds in 2 weeks! That to me is exciting because I lose very slow. Now it seems in the past 1 1/2 weeks I haven't lost anything and even gained a pound! Trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I am eating 1300 to 1500 calories a day. Drinking tons of water. My net carbs are 17 to 22. I must admit I am not big on the fats don't like the way my mouth feels after eating them. I just can't figure out why I am not losing! Oh yes and I walk 2 to 5 miles daily. This is very frustrating.....anyone else have this problem??? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
workin2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #2  

Hi, I have been in the exact same situation and have discovered that eating more fat really does help. I think (although I am no expert) that eating fat means you burn that fat for energy, then your body is in 'fat burning mode' so it more easily burns body fat.. I'm sure others have a better idea of why it works but that's my theory.

I just add butter or oil to veggies, or make salad dressing with olive oil and garlic, add mayo to salad. Use cream in my coffee. And the odd half an avocado will add fat.

I have had to decrease my calories to 1000-1200 per day, whilst increasing fat. So I'm eating a lot less in volume but am just as satisfied because of all the fat.

Also, I have cut out aspartame (I am a diet coke addict!) and stopped with the processed meats, no more luncheon meats.. Ham etc.

But let's just also remember that this may be a brief stall and if you stay with it for another week, the scales may start moving!
fatfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #3  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

hi workin'

I am with the fairy, the more fat I eat as a percentage of calories consumed, the better I lose (don't forget protein converts to glucose too, just slower than carbs, but fat is totally neutral )

Does cheese cause you to stall? How about nuts? Neither gives the mouth feel of fat. dressings as stated are a good idea.

The other thing is maybe to just brush your teeth or chew a pc of sf gum after meals to avoid the mouth feel of fat (unfortunatly I like it so never have to worry about it, LOL)
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #4  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

and don't forget to fry your eggs in butter or oil, add mayo to tuna/chicken/egg salad, and try things like the flax pancakes, they're so good and I top it with butter and SF syrup (the flax itself is high fat alone so even a 1 minute muffin would help with fat %.)
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:34 AM   #5  

When you say "net carbs" does that mean Atkins shakes or bars? I have found through much trial and error that those things slow down my weight loss. Also, you do need fat. I use coconut oil for cooking and also put some in my coffee. It has great benefits besides fat. It also is a natural antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal. It's a great way to get your fat in and has many health benefits.
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Let me begin by saying, Atkins is a high fat, moderate protein plan. If you are trying to do a low fat version...its not going to be effective.
Would you mind posting a typical day's menu?
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote