Old 02-07-2011, 02:19 PM   #1  

Default Never, ever considered Atkins before...but..

...I'm seriously looking into it! A friend and I decided to do the hcg diet
together. But I researched the hcg more thoroughly than she did, and decided against it. She will be starting it this weekend, and I...was going to do count calories. *heavy sigh*

She will be losing .5 - 1 lb a day, and I will be losing the same in a week!
Honestly, I'm jealous.

Sooo....other than a starvation diet, I'm trying to find a diet that will get me
started faster...so as she loses 2 sizes in a month, I can lose at least one!

I know very little about the Atkins diet, so I thought I'd ask some questions.

Which book is the better one to buy, old version of Atkins, or new?

Realistically speaking...how much can a woman expect to lose during 2 weeks of Induction? (and not having to give up cheese....my dream diet!)

Thanks!
Jura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 299/Ticker/150

Height: 5'3"

Welcome to the board!

I read to buy the book that was published in 2002 or before as it was written by Dr. Atkins himself.

I will let others explain the Atkins lifestyle as I am new to it and can't explain it as well.

Jennifer
Dragonfly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

Dragonfly is right about the book.

As for Induction, everyone is different. I don't remember what I lost, but I don't think it was as dramatic as some people. Remember that the big Atkins Induction "whoosh" is mostly water, so whether you lose a lot or a little it's nothing to worry too much over.

Be careful to limit cheese to only 2-4 ounces per day. It seems like very little but it's actually quite a bit!

As for the weight loss, everyone is different. I lose at a pretty consistent 2-3lbs per week but I also had a very annoying stall in the 240s. Of course the more you weigh the faster you'll lose but that goes for any diet.

Last edited by Linsy; 02-07-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #4  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I am also curious about the HCG diet. I don't know what it entails, or what is good/not so good about it.
I can endorse atkins quite happily. My loss has been slow, but I am menopausal, and am prediabetic, with an erratic schedule. I find that atkins is right for me to lose weight and manage my blood sugars.
While the initial phases are difficult, even challenging, it gets easier over time. Like any way of eating, you need to learn about what works and doesn't. I also recommend the earlier books. I have the new one, and while similar, it seems to be selling products more than teaching you to eat according to plan. So I went to a second hand book store and bought an older version.
good luck
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Starting a diet with the intention that you'll lose like your friend is the worst way to start a diet.

Pick a plan that works with your lifestyle, that you can stick with for the rest of your life and don't compare your weight loss to your friend's.

Every single body is different.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #6  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

I sound like a little echo: We are all different, and, regardless of the diet, we lose at different rates. Choose a way of eating YOU can stick with and stay with...that's the way to guarantee weight loss.

Some people have a big two-week loss on Induction; some people like me never lose more than three pounds a week. Three pounds is HUGE for me.

You don't list your weight; generally, the heavier you are, the more you lose on Induction. I have found, though, that regardless of your friend's diet success, over three or four months, you'll probably lose about the same percentage of weight. (pounds lost divided by body weight expressed in per cent)

Welcome! You'll find friends, information and support among the Atkins Diet Chicks if you decide to stay with us. Either way, best of luck!
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:14 AM   #7  
Learning and burning

S/C/G: HW350ish/SW290/CWticker/GW165

Height: 5'8'

Hi Jura,
Welcome! I've learned tons from this board, so I hope you'll find what you need here.

I, too, have an older version of the book. However, I now use the Atkins website a lot, which looks a lot more like the new book.

I also found a lot of value in looking at resources beyond the Atkins book. For me, I've got to be able to have my head around the science (at least somewhat), and there has been a lot of research done since Dr. Atkins wrote his book. For example, there is a book called Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It by Gary Taubes that I think is pretty helpful.

As far as your first two weeks go, I agree with everyone here. We are all so very different. I lost about 12 pounds or so, but it was mostly water.

Hope that helps.
dini22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #8  
This is the Last Time!

S/C/G: 172/*ticker*/115

Height: 5'2"

Jura..
I'm in week 2 and have lost 6 pounds in 7 days. While it sounds like a lot, I had really hoped to have lost more by now. I keep teetering back and forth between 153 and 155 and I started at 159. I was down to 153.1 today which is a 6.5 lb loss since last Monday. HCG is great for quick weight loss, but I never lost as much as others on that either (tried it 3 times). 3FC does NOT endorse HCG and we can't talk about it here in depth..I just wanted you to know that I'd tried it and feel that Atkins is a better way to go. Cheese is great, but like others have said, you'll need to limit your intake. Sometimes it may cause stalls and you might want to eat even less, but you can still have it. HCG was very restrictive in what you could eat and how much..that's why I like Atkins better b/c we can eat until we're satisfied, not just 3 oz of meat and a little veggies.

I agree with the others, try not to compare yourself to your friend. Just try and support each other and lose together, but not compare as to who's doing "better". That's so subjective. If you have a lot to lose you'll probably lose faster in the beginning than others. But like many have said, not everyone loses fast like that. I have about 40-45 lbs total to lose (wanting to be around 115 b/c I'm only 5'2") and REALLY hope I can be close to goal by Easter (I'm running a 5K that weekend), but I'm not so sure that will happen. I will keep working at it though.

Good luck and keep in touch here b/c it's SO helpful. There's a TON of great information. Oh, I have the new book I got from the library b/c I had the old one and gave it away or something. I think I donated it years ago when I decided not to do the diet again..that was stupid!
Rocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #9  
To be fit and FLY....

Height: 5'6"

My husband and I just officially started yesterday. For once HE is also going FULLFORCE on something, his doctor actually recommended it right as he put him on blood pressure med's - then said - come and see me in 2 weeks.

BUSTED......but honestly FINALLY. I have been wanting to make a change.

I didn't gain all of this extra weight in a 2 week period LOL so I don't expect to loose it in a 2 weeks period............be patient and work the plan. YOU WILL SEE RESULTS.

Don't give up!
Summerblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

I think everyone has covered your initial questions I will put in my vote for the 2002 Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution book too, the new materials have been edited after his death and are a piece of the giant marketing machine to encourage you to buy Atkins shakes and bars (which are not suitable for induction IMHO despite what the package says).

Welcome welcome! I hope you enjoy your journey! Expect that you might feel kind of crummy for the first few days but it passes and you'll emerge on the other side feeling phenomenal.

Also try not to have too unrealistic of expectations... Yes you loose a fair bit in the first 2 weeks but it is a lot of water - glycogen storage in your body is associated with water storage. So one goes away, so does the other. Expect your losses to slow drastically in weeks 3-4. (if they don't, great, but if they do, you are doing nothing wrong) Your body will figure things out and get you moving again shortly thereafter!

Good luck to you, hope to see you around!
abluvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 217.5/201/160

Height: 5'4"

Welcome and good luck Jura!
Everyone pretty much covered all the crucial stuff....but I can't say it enough...WATER WATER WATER!

Also, regardless which book you buy, read it in its entirety, you will be glad you did.

Good luck and you can do this!
amberbrown is offline   Reply With Quote