Old 09-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #1  
Kimberley

S/C/G: 23st 6lbs

Height: 5ft 11

Default Bit confused about fish?

Hi All, So i have been doing atkins for a week now, and i think i have lost some weight although i didnt weigh myself at the start so i have weighed in today and will know next week how much ive lost.
When i was out doing my shopping this week there were a few things i hope someone can help me out with. Firstly when i went to buy normal white fish from the frozen food section the carbs were really high in it, about 12g per 100g of fish which i was surprised at? Also in alot of things such as burgers and kebabs they were very high, i assume this is because of the amount of crap they add in to bulk out the meat.
Also my family ususally have a meal from the chip shop once a week and this week i felt a little left out sitting eating my chicken salad while they tucked into a chippy, is there anything suitable for atkins? Perhaps donner meat or chicken?
Thanks all xx
kimberleyanddarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #2  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

If your market only has fish, burgers, and other meat items with carbs in them, switch markets! Fish, poultry and meat should be showing close to zero carbs. If they're pre-marinated in a sauce or pre-prepared in some way, there may be showing carbs from the marinade. Otherwise, you're right; you're eating "filler" and who knows what that is...do you have labels with all ingredients listed?
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #3  
Diet and Exercise!

S/C/G: 185/165/135

Height: 5'3"

Can you try to buy fresh meats from the butcher (or butcher section of the market?)

As for fish, I noticed my frozen shrimp has 3g carbs for 4oz - and it's raw, tail-on, unbreaded, plain shrimp. Other than that, I haven't run across any high carb counts for fish.
fatmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #4  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Doner shops sometimes use fillers in the meat. Some use lamb, some use other meats. You'll have to ask. Those shops are much more common in the UK than in the states, same w/ fish and chip shops. Could you ask for the fish to be fried without any batter? Just an idea.

As far as shopping goes, I'll add my voice to the others. Clean meat and fish with no sauces, no marinades, no injected juices, etc. A good shop will have the real things.
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmac View Post
Can you try to buy fresh meats from the butcher (or butcher section of the market?)

As for fish, I noticed my frozen shrimp has 3g carbs for 4oz - and it's raw, tail-on, unbreaded, plain shrimp. Other than that, I haven't run across any high carb counts for fish.
That seems really bizarre. Shrimp is a low carb food. Each large shrimp has about .1 carb in it http://www.************.com/food/cal...ist-heat-15151

Are you sure its not imitation shrimp or with a sauce or with additives?

I eat a lot of shrimp....

Also see:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...es%2C%20rawxyz
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #6  

lol thats weird. 3fc blocks other diet sites. but see the usda gov site anyways
Old 09-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

3FC does not block all other diet sites. There are many sites that aren't blocked, and I don't know the criteria for blocking - although one of them is the healthfulness of the diet. Diets with dangerous and misleading claims are blocked.

For example, there was a woman who created an Atkins-like diet that was much more extreme and far more dangerous than Atkins (at least two people died following the plan), also the woman was engaged in unethical and illegal practices for misleading members and for cancelling "lifetime" memberships (without refund) if a member disagreed with her or criticised the diet on her discussion boards.

Her website and the name of her diet was blocked only after it became clear that the diet and website wasn't entirely legitimate.

What's interesting is that if you search on that diet's name, using the search tab, you will still find those posts, though of course now the censor asterisks out the name.

Last edited by kaplods; 09-23-2010 at 05:44 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #8  

Kaplods - sorry if I offended you. I wasn't trying to imply that 3fc blocks all diet sites. The one that it did block however is similar to this site - doesn't advocate one diet, has forums, and has a calorie/carb counter (hence why I linked it for the shrimp count). Theres nothing about it I would consider unsafe. I do understand the business aspect of keeping business here however.

I was just surprised it was blocked.

Any comments re the shrimp issue? Now I am curious...
Old 09-24-2010, 12:38 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

A lot of sites are blocked because they consistently spammed the forum. Joining just to promote another site (not to contribute) is against our forum rules. It takes a multitude of spam incidents for us to add something to the filter, but I'd guess that whatever site you named consistently spammed us in the past.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:30 PM   #10  

Gah - I feel like I've offended people by noting that that site was (obviously) blocked. Not my intention.

Does anyone care to comment on the number of carbs in shrimp? I would really like to know since I do eat them!

Thanks!