Old 07-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #1  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Default First Week Success!

Yay!! Two pounds down! Celebrate with me 'cause I don't have a diet buddy - all of my friends are either tiny or at a reasonable weight, so I don't discuss my weight with them. This is the end of my first week - rocky at first, but I'm getting right - eating on plan, walking at least once a day - a big change from no exercise at all. Yay, all of us who are working the plan!
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/204/145

Height: 5'7"

Congrats on staying on plan and walking!!!
fatBgone07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:08 PM   #3  
Less Juicey

Default Thanks for the support!

I appreciate your support. I read today that I only burn 64 calories an hour watching television. I'm finding that keeping busy helps me so much. Today it's been cleaning absolutely everything - even the walls - in my guest room. I'm going to be cleaner, more organized AND healthier! Congratulations on your weight loss, too!
Old 07-16-2010, 08:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

CONGRATULATIONS Sandy for making a week and the 2# loss. I am on Day 2 of Induction. I hope we can get a support thread going for those of us just starting. However, there is a lot of good info on here which I've enjoyed reading. Good luck on your journey.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 260.2/228/145

Height: 5'4"

Congrats!! Good job on your loss!!
hairchick40v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 229/163/150

Height: 5"4

Congrats Sandy!!! Thank you for starting this thread. I am on day 3 of Induction. I did take a peek at the scale and lost 3#. I have read alot of useful information on the forum. I am glad we can motivate each other. Keep it up!!
kaylasmom010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:12 PM   #7  
Less Juicey

Default Keeping busy...

Thanks, Kayla's mom. I read a lot of these threads too. We're lucky to have so much real information handy. I also read some threads when I'm having a hard time sticking with it. This morning staying busy took the form of giving my German Shepherd Puddin' a bath. It's a two-woman job, so my daughter helped. She was visiting for the weekend and made our breakfast. Eggs scrambled with fresh spinach, red onion, havarti cheese and topped with fresh chopped tomato. Delicious! I had bought some whole wheat bread for her, but we didn't even open it. (She's a health-conscious, slim kind of girl) I sent the loaf home with her! Out of the house, away from my mouth!
Old 07-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #8  
Less Juicey

Default Eating Out Success!

I'm very proud of myself. I ate a quick lunch with a friend before I went to the dentist today. We chose someplace fast - a deli - but their salads are over-priced and uninspired. So I ordered a philly cheese steak with grilled onions and peppers...and scooped out the goodies and left all of the bread.

After the dentist, we shopped and stopped at Starbuck's. I ordered a plain iced coffee, added Splenda and a little half and half - delicious... So I'm feeling good about my choices today.

What choices are you feeling good about?
Old 07-21-2010, 09:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 229/163/150

Height: 5"4

Hi Sandyfanny!!! Sounds like you are really working this plan. You made some really good choices. Are you still in induction?
kaylasmom010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:42 AM   #10  
Less Juicey

Default Still in induction...

Yes, I'm still in induction and will be for a while. I have a lot of weight to lose, and I learned the last time I was on Atkins that the fewer carbs I consume, the less I crave them. Is it ok to stay on induction for several months - like six or seven?

Thanks for the kind words. I'm trying.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/175.6/145

Height: 5'7"

What choices are you feeling good about?

So my friend came to visit me and we went out to dinner. We ate at Texas Roadhouse. I got the salad (picked off the croutons), steamed broccoli, and a steak. I stayed away from the yummy bread and the potatoes. Yay me!

Sandyfanny- I don't see why staying in induction would hurt. My husband stayed on it for 5 months with great success. He was overdoing it on cheese and fried foods, so his cholesterol went up. but after he saw that, he stopped eating all the cheese and fried foods and replaced them with the veggies and he lost even faster. He lost about 50lbs. I would say to just watch what kind of foods you are consuming.
LTs girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:39 AM   #12  
Less Juicey

Default What good choices!

Yay, you! Those were perfect choices. Sometimes it's hard not to be influenced by other people's choices, but you chose for YOU. Your comments and advice aare appreciated and right on target for me. I LOVE cheese - it's a large part of how I gained 80 pounds in 7 or 8 years, but I was eating it "in all the wrong places."

I have to discipline myself to back off the cheese a little since I know it's full of fat and tends to make most people retain water. But it's great to know it's an Atkins food. Thank you for your post.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #13  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyfanny View Post
I have to discipline myself to back off the cheese a little since I know it's full of fat
Don't shy away from fat. Atkins is a high fat plan. On Atkins, fat is your friend

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 07-24-2010 at 10:53 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

CONGRATULATIONS Sandyfanny!!!

I also stayed in Induction the entire time....with the exception of adding some almonds after a few months. I'm having to be on a different sort of eating plan right now due to dental procedures....but I can't WAIT to get back on Atkins. I'm serious.....I really, really miss it. I felt so much better, had SO much more energy, etc. I'm really bummed right now.....plus, I'm really having to watch calories to maintain the loss.....whereas I didn't really have to worry about calories or how much I ate on Atkins. It was just SO much easier.

And to be honest.....I'm finding that I'm getting sick of soft foods really fast....much much faster than I would ever get sick of certain Atkins items. I never got sick of anything while on Atkins....and looked forward to the interesting meals and snacks I'd have.

At this point, I'm seriously considering and planning to write up an "Atkins-approved" soft diet...to see if I can chew enough approved foods to cover my nutritional needs. Basically, it's listing all the approved foods that I can chew easily......because I have more dental work planned for September...several procedures.....and I can't go on with this current WOE that long. I'm already so sick of it.

My list so far......eggs, soft fish (tilapia, etc), ground beef, cottage cheese, farmer cheese, most cooked veggies, sour cream, soft cheese, butter and mayo, of course....

What I can't chew are....raw veggies, roasted chicken, turkey, beef, etc., really hard cheese, bacon (if it's not chopped up), any seafood like calamari, shrimp, etc...that requires significant chewing....

If anyone can help me with these lists....please feel free...and I would appreciate any suggestions.

Because I'm already getting jealous of you guys (Sandyfanny!!!) and want to go back to eating what you are.

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #15  
Less Juicey

Default I'm having oral surgery on Wed...shrimp butter recipe too!

Thank you, Jerseygirl, for affirming my love of cheese. It's just a little scary to eat it every day. I was hungry late last night; I snacked on a little scoop of chicken salad (homemade: chicken, mayo, celery) and a nice chunk of havarti with herbs. Delicious!

Deena, I really appreciate the list of soft foods you posted. I'm having oral surgery on Wed., so I'll be on soft foods for maybe a week. I make a yummy shrimp butter that my friends ask for when we're getting together. I can't figure out what you (and Atkins ladies) can use it for, though. If you can figure out how to use it, post it and I'm there! At parties, I serve it as a spread for crackers, but maybe we could top cooked asparagus or cauliflower with a big chunk? Ideas?

Shrimp Butter

1 lb. headless shrimp, med. to lrg., shelled and deveined *
1 stick sweet, unsalted butter - cut into pieces and room temp.
kosher salt to taste (one-fourth teas.)
1 1/2 T. lemon juice
dash of red pepper flakes
freshly ground black pepper to taste

Bring 3 c. cold water to a boil. Remove pan, from heat and add the shrimp, cooking them off the heat until they turn bright pink, about 1 min. Drain the shrimp and run under cold water to stop cooking completely. Drain them, shake them around to remove excess water and pat them dry with a paper towel. In the bowl of a food processor, pulse shrimp, butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper until it's a fine-textured spread in 5 - 10 second pulses. Check taste and add a little red pepper. Pulse once more if necessary.

Remove shrimp butter to a ramekin or dish. Cover with plastic wrap, laying the wrap directly on the surface of the shrimp butter to prevent oxidation. Refrigerate for no more than 2 days.

I'm from the SC Lowcountry, and this is a family favorite. It's soooo good and easy. We just have to find an Atkins use for it! Help us, Jerseygirl!