Old 04-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 264/264/199

Height: 5'10"

Default Need some advice

Hey everyone...I have been confronted with my first major hurdle since starting Atkins in January and am looking for some opinions on this matter.

Since completing my Fitness and Wellness course this semester I have been debating modifying my way of eating. I would like to add whole grain foods (avoid white breads, sugar, potatoes,etc) and fruit to my meals. I'm not talking about 10 servings of whole grain foods a day, I would just like the option to have a peanut butter sandwich or a small plate of whole wheat spaghetti once a day or two. I'd like to be able to have an apple or banana every day or two as a snack.

I know these choices will knock me out of ketosis, but do you think it would throw me back into the process of regaining weight? The next three months I will be exercising more than 5 times a week at a high intensity, so that should help offset the negative effects.

I'm only 3lbs from my goal...would this be playing with fire? Please share your thoughts, both for or against my dillema...thanks!!
SaskNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/204/145

Height: 5'7"

I am anxious to hear responses from some of the "seasoned" Atkins folks ( I am not). I tried to incorporate a few items from level 2 last week and was kicked out of ketosis (even though I was till OK on carb count). Are you only in ketosis during induction?
fatBgone07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #3  

The idea from my interpretation is to stay in ketosis, even after induction. Once you reach your goal or are within 10lbs of it, you add 5 grams of carbs per day at one week increments from sequential rungs of the "ladder" until you maintain.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:28 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskNewfie View Post
I would like to add whole grain foods (avoid white breads, sugar, potatoes,etc) and fruit to my meals. I'm not talking about 10 servings of whole grain foods a day, I would just like the option to have a peanut butter sandwich or a small plate of whole wheat spaghetti once a day or two. I'd like to be able to have an apple or banana every day or two as a snack.
I think this is very much a YMMV issue.
For me, I've stuck pretty much to the standard Induction foods with the exception of yogurt (low carb/low sugar or Greek) with my breakfast....an occasional handful of nuts....a few blueberries in the Summer months. I've stayed away from grains entirely.
You may find you can "tolerate" peanut butter sandwiches or whole wheat spaghetti once a day or 2....or....an apple or banana (which I totally dislike) everyday or 2. My suggestion would be to slowly incorporate these things to your eating, one at a time and monitor your progress very carefully. Its pretty much a trial & error process to learn what works for you.
Good luck to you!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 04-27-2010 at 06:29 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #5  

Well, I tried adding additional carbs in the form of fruit, wholewheat bread, wholewheat pasta and did great for about three days. After that I sneaked in a small bowl of icecream which led to a bigger bowl the next night. I ate a portion of a protein bar which led to chocolate coated caramel pieces. To top it off, today I experienced that "feeling" when your sugar is off for the first time since January.

Needless to say, my plan went way off track. I guess after a week or so, it's time to get back to what works! My big worry is that I am going away with the military for 2 1/2 months and will have limited options to stay on atkins...I shall see...
Old 05-06-2010, 11:23 PM   #6  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskNewfie View Post
The idea from my interpretation is to stay in ketosis, even after induction. Once you reach your goal or are within 10lbs of it, you add 5 grams of carbs per day at one week increments from sequential rungs of the "ladder" until you maintain.
I think you missed some chapters in your DANDR book! After Induction (day 15 for many), you start OWL where you begin adding carbs and new foods as you go up the OWL rungs. OWL is the most important phase of Atkins as it is where you learn what foods you can eat and how much of them.

Well, it appears that ship has sailed so now you need to learn what you can and can't eat to maintain your weight. It really is a trial and error thing. The higher rung OWL foods such as grains, pasta, starchy veg, fruits like bananas, etc. are all very carby and in general can be eaten in small amounts only.

Your being male and in the military with all that physical activity should mean that you can have more carbs than well, say me. LOL The danger as you have found is going off track with the ice cream and candy type stuff. Try to remember and stick with the good, whole foods that helped you to lose weight. Besides losing weight, Atkins is about getting and staying healthy so stay away from the junky foods, eat lots of veggies and watch your starchy food portions.

You've done a great job with your weight loss. When you're away, all you can do is try to make the best food choices with what's available. Seriously though, you might have to eat when you can and whatever is available. Please stay safe and we can help you with any diet issues when you get back.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:17 AM   #7  

Oh, I know I went about it wrong. I was hoping to do my own modified version by adding a slice of whole wheat toast one day or an apple the next. My plan wasn't to add as much as I diD as often I did. What surprised me was how fast you can lose control. All that being said, I am still maintaining...I just fear my lack of control will reverse my progress slowly.

Oh, as for staying safe...the military course I'm doing is a 2 1/2 month French course, so my only danger will be Quebec strippers...lol...I know, my male friends would be more amused by that comment...
Old 05-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #8  

Well, this whole plan gone wrong is still haunting me. I have not been able to get a grip and get back on plan. It's like the willpower was sucked right out of me. I've been eating breads and junk food...not good, I know. I guess this is more of a vent than anything because I'm not sure if advice will be enough right now to sway me back...I got to find that willpower again!
Old 05-17-2010, 11:16 PM   #9  

Saskfire- c'mon -you can do this! You are so close to your goal too! We are all rooting for you!
Old 05-18-2010, 05:03 AM   #10  
Carbs are evil

You've done it before SaskNewfie, and you can do it again! From my experience nothing works until I have made my mind up that it is going to, so I think I can understand where you're coming from. Even when I chucked all the "bad" food out so I couldn't have it I caved and went to the shop or ordered a takeaway, my head just wasn't in the right place. Is this where you are now?

A couple weeks ago I had a good chat with myself and I realised that I'm just getting bigger and bigger - and this is going to continue until I sort my head out. You are so so close to your goal now! Just think how good you will feel when you meet your goal. If you continue to binge on the wrong foods you're going to undo all that good work and end up back at square one! I don't mean to sound like I'm lecturing you - I'm so very impressed by what you have acheived (and please god some day I'll be able to do what you have done).

I really hope you find your willpower again. Being open about what you're going through is a fantastic first step! Please let us know how you get on
imstuffed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #11  

Thanks for the encouragement! It may have been just what I needed...two days on track again! If I get through the next couple days, I should be fine...two days of driving...
Old 05-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #12  

Don't think IF - then WHEN you get through the next couple of days!!!
Old 05-20-2010, 04:37 AM   #13  
Carbs are evil

fatbgone's right... you're doing great keep up the good work
Old 05-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #14  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I went off a bit after my mother died. I knew I probably would do it, and planned just for the weekend of the funeral, but it took about 2 weeks to get back on track. Its amazing how fast the cravings come back.
I did what I did before in the end, lowered carbs until I was back to induction, I started at 100g/day for 3 days, then 80, then 60, until I was back to 30 or less.
Works for me, even if its not the way, but I can stick to it, which is great.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:02 AM   #15  
Carbs are evil

That sounds like a sensible approach fatmad - IMO there's no point in doing something by the book if you know there's an alternative approach to reaching the same aim, that you will be certain to achieve - good for you