Old 02-05-2010, 11:36 PM   #1  
Re-newbie

S/C/G: 161/139/128

Height: 5'4"

Default Finally got my book!

Well, I ordered a used copy of Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution (2002) from eBay a few days ago, and it's finally here! I am so glad to have this. It has all sorts of really useful guidance from what's good to eat, to how to sleep better, fight diabetes and depression, and plan for a lifelong healthy lifestyle. I'd read an older version of the book before, but the cover of the one I have is red and it seems to have more information inside than the white-covered book I used to have.

How exciting!
firefly68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:49 PM   #2  
Results Are Typical

S/C/G: 232/217/180

Height: 5' 1.5"

Yayyy!! That sounds like the same one I have. Still working in it though but I check my food lists every couple of days to make sure I keep it fresh in my memory.
honeybjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

For me personally, the best thing about the book was his explanation for HOW and WHY this WOE worked.....not to mention that I would read it repeatedly just to motivate myself and keep me on track.

I could literally picture the fat cells burning in my mind. Understanding the process that was going on....understanding just how and why the low net carbs caused the fat-burning metabolism really kept me on track. For me, understanding WHY I'm doing something and HOW it's doing it is a huge motivator for me.

Of course, now I've graduated to the Taubes book and I'm trying to learn this stuff in much greater biochemical detail. But had I not developed a basic understanding of the process...thanks to Dr. Atkins...I would be having MUCH more difficulty trying to comprehend the Taubes book well.

And what's REALLY so great, IMO....is that I do remember, back in the early 90's...being CONVINCED that Dr. Atkins was RIGHT and was truly ahead of his time. And for me, it's truly thrilling to see that reality and cutting-edge information is now bearing this out.
I wish he could have lived to see it. Heck, considering how resistant the medical community is to change their views, I'm not even sure if *I* will get to see all of it.

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:48 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

on getting the book! If you've been on this board for any length of time, you know I am a firm believer if you want to do Atkins & you want to do Atkins correctly....reading the book before you begin is critical.
Perfect example, my Mom's friend says she is "doing Atkins". Unfortunately, she hasn't read the book (I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, she may have read snippets of the book but, not the entire book). She thinks she can eat any foods she wants as long as she keeps in the 20 carb limit for the day While this may work, its definitely not Atkins. My issue with that is, if it just so happens it doesn't work for her, I'm sure its only a matter of time before she quits and says "oh yeah, I tried that Atkins diet and that didn't work"
In a nutshell, if you haven't read the book and you say you are "doing Atkins"....there is a good possibility its being done incorrectly.
Doing low carb & doing Atkins are 2 entirely different things & I realize there are those who won't agree with this but, the fact remains, if you want to do Atkins & do Atkins correctly....READ THE BOOK
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5" and 48 years old

Good for you for getting the book! I have that one too! It really does make so much sense! You're well on your way to the happiest and healthiest you ever!
HealthierLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

"Doing low carb & doing Atkins are 2 entirely different things..."

I totally agree. Atkins is not THE low-carb diet...it's a specific diet that would be in the category of a low-carb diet. Technically, Sugar Busters could be considered to be in the same ballpark...but is certainly NOT the same as Atkins....very different, in fact.

It's funny Kim mentioned her mom's friend. I had a co-worker and her husband go on Atkins but I doubt they read the book. They claimed they were sticking to it religiously but were getting nowhere. And I remember thinking that they surely were doing something wrong....and wondered just what it was. I tried to question her on this but she didn't really reveal the info. needed to trouble-shoot for her...she was rather vague.

By the same token, my brother-in-law and his wife claimed they went on Atkins but freely admitted they included foods not allowed. Him: beer (and plenty of it) and her: a tblsp. of regular peanut butter and one can of regular (not diet) pepsi daily. BUT, they lost weight....go figure. IF you have a metabolism like mine...you MUST follow Atkins by the book and must read the book.

If you happen to be like these particular in-laws, I assume you can be more liberal but the thing is....you never know if you are gonna be the one who stalls unless you follow it strictly....and let's face it, it doesn't take much frustration to cause many to go off plan/binge/drop the program altogether/give up.

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:02 AM   #7  

I'm thinking I need to follow Atkins plan instead of just counting carbs. I had an Atkins book from before but cant find it so I ordered one of ebay two days ago! I need some help! lol!
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #8  
Results Are Typical

S/C/G: 232/217/180

Height: 5' 1.5"

I am one of those people following the plan while still reading the book. If I had waited until I finished it, I still wouldn't be on it. But I plan to stay on Induction for quite a while so I have plenty of room to tweak things. But honestly I don't know what I could change. I know I need more water and I need new vitamins because the bottle I have now has iron. We are going to Target today to get some. All I eat is meat (all kinds), cheese and green vegables and I watch the volume of everything so I don't overdo it. I don't feel the need to snack ever and I am down a few lbs after just 5 days.
honeybjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I think it's extremely important to not just READ the book but to refer back to it often. LeslieLou, I hope the book you got is the 2002 version which I believe is the true Atkins. I am reading the Diabetes Revolution one.

Atkins is low carb but low carb is not Atkins!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #10  
Re-newbie

Hey honeybjones! In another thread, JerseyGyrl suggested I find some of Nature's Bounty brand vitamins that have no iron, so I went in search of them and could not find them, but I did find OneADay Women's 50+ Advantage vitamins (with memory support! woohoo!) and those contain no iron! I've never been able to find any like this before, and now suddenly they appear. Nice! They have an orange label with a silver 1 in the logo. Maybe you can find them, too.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
I think it's extremely important to not just READ the book but to refer back to it often. LeslieLou, I hope the book you got is the 2002 version which I believe is the true Atkins. I am reading the Diabetes Revolution one.

Atkins is low carb but low carb is not Atkins!
yes I did! Like I said I had the book from when I followed his plan years ago and lost a lot of weight. I was a very popular WOE then as it should be now. This time I was just counting carbs but I really need the book and go by his plan again. Not to say I wont occasionally have some things not on plan but I need to always stay in ketosis. I really loved having his book before cause it helps you stay focused and answers lots of questions.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:08 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly68 View Post
Hey honeybjones! In another thread, JerseyGyrl suggested I find some of Nature's Bounty brand vitamins that have no iron, so I went in search of them and could not find them, but I did find OneADay Women's 50+ Advantage vitamins (with memory support! woohoo!) and those contain no iron! I've never been able to find any like this before, and now suddenly they appear. Nice! They have an orange label with a silver 1 in the logo. Maybe you can find them, too.
Being anemic....you really need iron. Do you have your CBC checked regularly?
Old 02-06-2010, 11:31 AM   #13  
Re-newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieLou View Post
Being anemic....you really need iron. Do you have your CBC checked regularly?
I should, but I don't. I need to make an appointment and just have it checked out, I'm sure. I was planning on meeting with my doctor one afternoon next week to explain to him that I am doing Atkins, so I will get him to check it out then. What I'm thinking is that my iron should be better than it was since I've been eating more meat than I used to. It will be fun to find out.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 264/264/199

Height: 5'10"

I am one of those who are guilty of starting Atkins without fully reading the book. I'm on my 10th day now and still haven't totally finished the book. I guess I'm a typical guy...never read the instructions...lol.. My copy is a pdf copy so I have it on my iPod Touch and pick away at it. I have read the induction portion and figure that as long as I have the next part read prior to my next phase, I should be ok...hopefully i'm correct...
SaskNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #15  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskNewfie View Post
I have read the induction portion and figure that as long as I have the next part read prior to my next phase, I should be ok...hopefully i'm correct...
You did admit to being a "typical guy"
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote