Old 08-01-2005, 03:33 PM   #1  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Thumbs up I Moved My Keister! 8/1 - 8/7

Here's the place you record, announce, crow, and otherwise share your exercise. Some of us do it daily, some not -- all are welcome!

I'll start: I cycled for 30 minutes, going 8 miles.

Now who's next?
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 03:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Me!

WATP
3 - Mile
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 03:48 PM   #3  
Black Belt In Training

S/C/G: 289/243/160

Height: 5' 7"

Thumbs up

8 Minute Moves Done. I am going to plan out a new strength training schedule as I am so very, very bored with the 8 Minute Moves exercises. Anyone have suggestions on websites and books to check out?

Will go on my run shortly. I'm going to run as far as I can today just to see how many miles I can go. Goal is 1.5 miles at least. Report back later.

Running Update--->Ran 1.1 miles in 15 minutes. Considered running more, but decided I should not push it too far as this is only the start of my 3rd week running and I don't want to injure myself by pushing too hard. Instead I walked the remaining.9 mile back to my house in 15 minutes.
Total of 2 miles in 30 minutes

Also took my two girls to the lake after my run this afternoon. We swam and played in the water for 45 minutes!

Last edited by taekwondomom; 08-02-2005 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Adding running report :)
taekwondomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:46 PM   #4  

10 minutes bike, one minute level 1, then 5, then 8 then 12 then 15, repeat! (kills me, but it's good)
15 minutes level 17 hill programme brisk walking on the treadmill
10 minutes stepper level 5
10 minutes cross trainer
5 minutes recumbent bike

Gotta be happy with that!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:27 PM   #5  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Thumbs up

Go, go, GO you guys!

Mez, you're doing SO WELL sticking to the daily exercise!! I'm so proud of you! How does it feel? Emotionally, you've just got to be proud of yourself. I know I am! And physically? Do you feel energized or pooped? I really want you to know how happy I am that you're back -- I really consider it a gift to have you here while I'm getting back in the swing of things too.

Laura, you GO with your running self!! I think that is just so awesome!! I want you to know a secret: Running is one of my "when I'm lighter this is a thing that I look forward to doing" goals. I had funky, creaky joints and weak ankles going INTO chemo -- and now, afterwards, I have a lot more joint pain. (Apparently it's common -- Who knew? ) I figure I'll be better able to do it when there's less, um, poundage to impact those joints. Whenever I hear about folks here running, I get this big smile on my face and feel verrrry happy for you guys! So RUN, Laura, RUN!! I also really am just so proud of all that you're doing -- you are truly on FIRE, girl!! What an exciting time this must be for you.

Now, on to this weights question. A book that I think is quite good, and that came highly recommended to me is The Body Sculpting Bible for Women -- That would be a good one, I think, to start out with. The authors are respected, it's detailed, comprehensive, they give good instruction for proper form, and they have good beginner workouts. Some good websites for weight lifting are:
  • Krista Smash - This site is invaluable!! She's AWESOME, a pleasure to read, and she gives just a world of information on weight training, including some workouts.
  • ExRx - This site might seem a little overwhelming at first, but you'll find, once you start to dig in, that you're getting simply excellent information, including, but not excluded to, videos demonstrating individual exercises.

Kykaree, now that sounds like a very well-rounded cardio routine!! My exercise bike has different routines, and I just LOVE doing them! They hurt terribly -- but in a good way!

Just wanted to tell you guys how great I think you're doing, and how motivated I get by reading about what you've done!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:19 PM   #6  
Tenacious

I rode the bike for 30 minutes and did the 30 minute Curves workout.
DeterminedInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:42 PM   #7  

22 minutes on the elliptical and 10 minutes strength training
TakinBabySteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

yay for exercise! congrats everyone.

monday- 5 minutes rowing machine (ow)
33 minutes elliptical
8 minutes treadmill on incline
15 minutes weight lifting
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:38 PM   #9  

Ditto on the congrats! Everyone has a wonderful start!!! Don't you just feel so good after a workout!

Sarah, Thanks so much for the encouragement! I tell you I have to FORCE myself to do my workout but after they are finished I feel great. I am bummed that I can't do the 6 miles like I use to. (it's too hard on my knees) I do remind myself that I have an extra 16lbs now. (Actually 17lbs today’s weight in didn't go well. I was on plan and I workout. I guess it just one of those things) I am very pooped after a good workout but am happily so... It feels great!
I'm so happy to be back. I do kick myself for waiting so long. I want to thank you for being there once again for me. That means the world to me! Sarah I'm terrible with words (as anyone can tell by reading my post) I'm so happy to see your back in the swing of things. You know you kick butt!! I think you should write a book about yourself. I honestly think it would help others in so many aspects of life. I know I’d buy it!! Thanks again. Mez
Old 08-02-2005, 01:34 AM   #10  

Ditto on the book, international best seller!!!! It's 6.30 in the morning, and I am having my internet time before I hit the gym. I must do weights today, was going to be yesterday, but the big boys wouldn't let me play in their sand pit, so I delayed it to this morning, with some swimming afterwards. Wish me luck!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:02 AM   #11  
Black Belt In Training

S/C/G: 289/243/160

Height: 5' 7"

Talking Exercise Rocks

I agree! Everyone is doing super with their exercise!

Most mornings I have to force myself to get my exercise done but by the time I am finished I am energized and alert and just generally feelin' good. On the rare day I don't do my morning exercise right away I am incredibably cranky until I get my exercise fix!

Thanks so much for the lovely comments about my running, Sarah! Today as I was running I was thinking how it is going to be great FUN to run this winter when it is cold and snowy.
I'm sure you'll blast those stubborn chemo pounds away and begining running in no time at all. How's Lorraine doing with the non-smoking?
The websites you recommended look great and I'll be spending alot of time online devouring some new info. I'm going to see if my library has the book you mentioned as well.

I'm excited, I finally got this book I had been waiting for, The Core Program by Peggy W. Brill, P.T.
The idea behind the book is that your 'core' of abdominal muscles are responsible for supporting and aligning your skeleton and joints and a lot of the aches, pains and joint problems we women have are related to a weak core throwing the rest of your body out of whack. The book has exercises targeted to "cool" your body's "hot spots" and relieve these imbalances while improving your strength, flexibility and sex life!
She has easy self tests to help you pinpoint your "hot spots" along with a good description of the muscles that will be worked by the exercises, what the muscles do and illustrations showing you their location.
There are three different levels of core programs: Foundation, Intermediate and Ultimate. Each level is designed to take only 15 minutes 5 days a week. They are thoroughly described with plenty of photos and tips to help you learn proper technique.
She also touches briefly on weight training and has examples of strength training exercises to use and avoid. The exercises recommended to avoid are ones that stress women's bodies and contribute to injury as they were designed for men.
The biggest surprise was reading that she does not recommend women do crunches or sit ups as they stress the pelvic floor which over time contributes to stress incontinence! She has an alternate exercise, called Dead Bugs, LOL!
It seems to be a doable program so I'm going to give it a try for at least 4 weeks. I'll let ya all know how it goes.
taekwondomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:31 AM   #12  
Dream Big!

Yesterday: 2 mile WATP & 100 laps

Today: 50 sit-ups, 150 laps
BarbaraAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 02:34 PM   #13  

Laura that books sounds really interesting. I'm going to check my library to see if they have it in stock. I have a 6 month old grandson and he's in the pre-crawl stage. I was watching him the other day. (I get to watch him again today!) When I lay him on the floor he'll lift his little legs and arms off the floor (Like superman flying) and wiggles them a bit. I gave it a try. OH BABY do you feel that after awhile. I did it when he did. It was a great workout. Naturally he thought it was funny because I'm telling him to stop grandma needs a rest! LOL I really love that little guy. He's third tooth just broke. The forth is on the way.

Sarah so are we going to see a book hit the shelves in a few years?

Now for my workout.
WATP - 3 mile
Old 08-02-2005, 02:38 PM   #14  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

This morning I ran 5k in 30 minutes and then walked on the treadmill on an incline for another 20 minutes. Plus a bit of upper body weights, but not much.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 02:53 PM   #15  

I actually hiked a mile trail yesterday for the first time since I got back OP. At least it's a start! HOORAY! Thank goodness for family support

Radiodoll
radiodoll is offline   Reply With Quote