Old 12-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/160/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Coffee Shop Catastrophe

I have a regular weekly meeting with other staff members in a local coffee shop and today, I ordered what I always do: a small decaf coffee with sugar free Torani syrup. After I finished my drink and my meeting, I casually asked the girl behind the counter how many pumps of Torani they use per drink (I assumed it was 1, silly me) - she told me 5! Here's the kicker, each pump dispenses .25 oz of syrup, so that's like 1.25 oz per drink, and when entered into Fit Day (as a "sucralose-based sweetener, sugar substitute") it comes out to something crazy like 31.5 carbs! I couldn't believe it. Next time I get decaf coffee, I will use my 2 packets of Splenda and say the heck with the syrup - lesson learned!
lcrenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 176/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Wow, you were smart to ask! I also "assumed" that Coffeemate Creamer was low in carbs until I read the label. I have become a label reader now.

Can you fill a small tupperware or small container with the syrup for your coffee? I used to do that with the Coffeemate Hazelnut when I traveled and knew they wouldn't have that. Just an idea....

Toby
TobyThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:49 AM   #3  

You know, Toby, I had thought about that. I carry a few packets of Splenda on me most of the time because I know some restaurants and coffee shops dont carry it - I could do that same for the syrup. Thanks! When I use it at home, I use 1 Tbsp - not 1.25 oz, good grief.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

I have a similar story, although I am not counting carbs really strict. I go to a coffee shop and get a s/f- skim milk Almond Joy Latte. I even give them a little note card with what I want in there in case I get a new person..... well after I had been getting them for literally about 3 months...... a new girl told me they don't have coconut s/f syrup and if I have been ordering that..... the coconut was never s/f. I almost lost it..... what if I was a strict diabetic (which I am not)...... but seriously, they could have told me LONG ago they did not have it!
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #5  

Ladyrider, I would have freaked out. I can't believe they didn't tell you from day 1 that they didn't have it... like you said, lucky you weren't diabetic!
Old 12-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #6  
Jessica

S/C/G: 210/202/160

Height: 5.2

Personally i get half the pumps of sweetener and then add splenda.. it enhances the flavor!
JessicaRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #7  

I know better for next time, I will specify the # of pumps if I want the Torani syrup.