Old 03-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/182.5/130

Unhappy Please help :(

I'm getting very frustrated and could use any advice...

I'm on my 4th week of Atkins and have lost nothing since Induction.

The only big change I've made is eating more red meat as opposed to chicken. I've also added one serving of almonds... but for the most part have kept at or around 20 carbs even after induction.

Any idea why I've stalled so quickly?!

I don't want to give up, but I'm worried my body isn't responding correctly to Atkins this time around.
130star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #2  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Can you post exactly what you are eating ~ like a daily menu? Are you journaling your food?
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Posting a menu would help

How about taking a look at your calories. Are you exercising? Water?
Just trying to throw out some idea's here.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #4  

Sorry, I was so frustrated I didn't think to post.

I sometimes journal my food and most days I drink the right about of water. Here's what I ate today

Breakfast
Hard boiled egg
String cheese
small serving of almonds (snack sized pack)
2 glasses of water

Lunch
"Taco" (ground beef, shredded cheese and salsa)
Small side salad
Diet coke

Dinner
Hamburger patty with a slice of cheese, mustard
1 deviled egg
2 glasses of water

Snack
1 serving of low card cheesecake (2 carbs)
2 glasses of water

I realize I don't eat a lot of vegetables, but i just don't like them.
I haven't exercised much, only because I've never had to before when on Atkins. Could it really just be that?

Thanks for any help you can offer
Old 03-04-2009, 08:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 284/207/165

Height: 5 ft 3

Hi 130star! Looking at your menu, I almost wonder if you're eating too little? One of the good things about Atkins is that it's a low carb, but high-fat diet, the high fat helps you stay full. I don't see very much fat in your diet.

I understand about not liking vegetables, I don't like lettuce, cauliflower, cucumbers, or tomatoes, so that nixes a salad, and makes it hard to eat vegetables. Try upping your calories and fat, and I think it'll get your system to realize that you're not in starvation mode. Here's a typical menu for me:
Breakfast - scramble with small amount of cheese, 2 eggs, and sausage.
Snack - snack package of peanuts or string cheese
Lunch - 5 "naked" chicken strips (no breading) dipped in ranch, with celery.
Dinner - smoked sausage with sauerkraut, green beans, and a couple oz of cheese

There's lots of fat, and few carbs. Also, I'm not sure about the almonds, but try leaving them out and see what happens for a few days. I eat "hot" peanuts about once a week now, but when I ate them 4 or 5 days a week, I stalled out. As for exercise, I don't notice a difference doing it or not on Atkins, I just do it because it's healthy. It certainly doesn't help me lose weight. (your experience may be different)
pengbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I can only speak from my own personal experience, when I ate plenty of green veggies & salads and limited the cheese to 1 oz a day....it helped tremendously.
You also need to be drinking more water. When I first started Atkins (almost 5 years ago), I struggled with drinking water...now I don't drink anything else!
Personally, I'd stay away from the nuts for now & the low carb cheesecake.
Dr. Atkins himself said that exercise is not negotiable. You don't have to kill yourself....start with walking, its great exercise and it works. I highly recommend Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds dvd's...they are great! I think I have them all.
Don't be afraid of fat...butter, mayo, eggs, fatty meats etc. Fat is what makes Atkins work but, the average person has been so conditioned to believe fat is bad for you.
I hope this helps!
All the best to you!!!

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:29 PM   #7  

Peng, thanks for your input. I actually upped my calories from before by adding in all that red meat. But I think I'll commit myself to journaling it online so I can be certain I'm getting enough. Thanks too for your sample menu, I think I'll add a little variety to what I've been doing

Jersey, after reading the previous responses I dragged myself to the gym and did 2 miles on the treadmill (which is an improvement for me). I also have a friend who has the DVDs you mentioned so I'll give it a shot too. I'll cut out those almonds (sigh) and switch back to sugar free jello instead of the cheesecake.

Thanks for your help. Onward I go!