Old 02-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #1  
Bee

S/C/G: 262.8/262.8/160

Height: 5'5"

Default Newbie - grocery list?

Hey all,

I'm starting Induction today, but I have very little food in my kitchen, so I need to make a grocery run. I was going to make an omelet with chevre for breakfast before I go today, but I'm confused as to whether it's allowed during Induction. It's a goat cheese, but it's also a fresh cheese. According to the package I have, it is 1g carb per ounce, which is what I'd be having with my eggs. Does anyone know?

This is what my grocery list looks like. Please feel free to suggest foods that you liked to eat during Induction, or let me know if there's anything I have on here that I shouldn't be having.

- dill pickles
- cheddar cheese
- jello made with splenda
- tuna
- mayo/miracle whip
- chicken
- bacon
- cream cheese
- caesar dressing
- chicken broth (or soup, if I can find one that's Induction-friendly)
- half & half
- parmesan cheese
- eggs
- celery
- cucumber
- lettuce
- green and red peppers
- broccoli
- onion
- garlic
- spinach
- tomatoes

I know to be looking for things (like salad dressing) without added sugar, and less than 2g carbs per serving.

I live alone, and I'm planning to pack up all the carby stuff in my kitchen and bring it over to my partner's house. I tend to bake a lot, and the last thing I need is flour and sugar calling out to me. I've gone back and read most of this forum, and I can't believe how helpful you all are! Part of the reason I chose Atkins is because I know I'm a sugar addict, but it makes me irritable and moody. I'm looking forward to detoxing from sugars, but I know that it probably won't be easy. I think being here to give and get support will be my best shot at succeeding, though!
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #2  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Here are a few suggestions:

- tuna (be sure to read the can - some tuna has wheat, etc. added so it can range from 0 to 4 or more carbs per serving)
- mayo/miracle whip (miracle whip has sugar, avoid)
- half & half (I would do heavy whipping cream instead then thin it out with water if you need to - half/half has milk which is higher in carb)
- onion (careful with the onion, it's higher in carb than some other veggies)
- tomatoes (tomatoes too)

Best of luck to you on your new healthy lifestyle! I know what you mean about baking - I gave away 50# of commercial-grade flour and my bread machine when I restarted Atkins in August.

Last edited by DCHound; 02-09-2009 at 10:50 AM.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I was going to make an omelet with chevre for breakfast before I go today, but I'm confused as to whether it's allowed during Induction. It's a goat cheese, but it's also a fresh cheese.
Seeing how this is a fresh cheese...I'd steer clear of it until you progress to OWL
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/182.5/130

Hey Bee- I'm on my second week of induction (lost 4.5 lbs the first week!!) An additional thing I'd suggest is checking out the following website that JerseyGyrl shared a few weeks back http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

If you browse through you'll see several that you can use during the induction phase. I have found a few favorites already (and I'm NOT a cook).

Good luck to you.
130star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 174/174/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130star View Post
Hey Bee- I'm on my second week of induction (lost 4.5 lbs the first week!!) An additional thing I'd suggest is checking out the following website that JerseyGyrl shared a few weeks back http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

If you browse through you'll see several that you can use during the induction phase. I have found a few favorites already (and I'm NOT a cook).

Good luck to you.
I second that - I found a few induction friendly recipes and successfully made them too.
Iffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #6  
Going on a cruise w NKOTB

Height: 5'3"

I am not the in the family. I leave most (ok all the) to mom. It's best to plan ahead, so when you're you don't grab the wrong things. Some quick things you can have on hand are egg muffins, basically egg mixture with induction friendly foods, poured into muffin pans and baked. Totally portable breakfast too! I also love to make cheese crackers. Cut a slice of American Deluxe cheese (the real stuff, not cheese food) into 16 squares, put on a piece of parchment (not wax) paper and microwave for 60+ seconds. The crackers can be used to snack, or are great in salad! I make pepperoni crisps in microwave as well. I place a sheet of parchment paper in microwave, cover with towel, put slices on towel a few inches apart and cover with another towel. This helps get off extra grease and makes them crispy.

I started Atkins 1/19/09 and have lost 16.3 pounds just three weeks into it. Best wishes to you!
NickiChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #7  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I know to be looking for things (like salad dressing) without added sugar, and less than 2g carbs per serving.
Hi!

I see you're in Canada, so just wanted to mention that we (along with the Brits) need to take a little more care when choosing Atkins-friendly foods. Often the carbs listed on the nutritional labels of foods here already have the fibre deducted, so if you're counting net carbs you mustn't subtract it again.

You can work it out yourself using a bit of arithmetic and other info from the label—fat is 9 kcals per gram, protein and carbs are 4 kcals per gram.

There's also a handy tool for working out hidden carbs here that will do it too.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:44 PM   #8  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Wow NickiChick, I just noticed your fast weight loss. Kudos to you! Doesn't it feel great??
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote