Old 04-17-2008, 10:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 282/257/when it feels right

Default Atkins and Intermittent Fasting

Intermittent Fasting

I was just thinking if anyone is doing Intermittent Fasting along with Atkins? I posted this question in the general forum but since I am doing Atkins I thought I would post it here as well to see if others are doing it. I am no expert on this I actually got the info from another message board and have tried it a few times.

Basically it's where you fast for a certain amount of hours a day and then allow yourself a window where you eat.

Example: During the day you fast (you are able to drink) then during your window let's say between 5-10pm you eat your meals.

Here are a few links:

www.fast-5.com

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/i...better-health/

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20030607/food.asp

http://www.arthurdevany.com/2006/12/...tent_fa_2.html
Old 04-17-2008, 01:40 PM   #2  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

I'm very leery of plans like this. When you fast your body uses lean muscle mass for energy. Not sure if this is the case here since 19 Hours isn't really a long time. But losing muscle is detrimental in the long run. When you do Atkins you lose fat rather than lean muscle.
Any plan that allows you to eat all you want of any kind of food isn't likely healthy, if you are eating mostly healthy foods that would be different.
For most people fasting leads to binging. I don't think it is a great idea to eat nothing during the day and eat a lot in the evening, when I occasionally miss breakfast and lunch I find I'm more likely to over eat and make less healthy food choices. I think it would be better if you want to have one big meal you would be better of to have it in the AM.

The only link that worked for me was the third one. It seem like the reasoning given here is due to insulin levels being low during the fasting period, likely the rats where fed high carb, grain based diets. When you do Atkins it keeps your insulin levels low all the time anyway and increases insulin sensitivity without fasting. So with Atkins you get the same insulin lowering benefit as fasting but without the muscle loss and without the hunger.

Good luck if you do try it, let us know how it works out for you.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:59 PM   #3  
On the Path again

S/C/G: 242/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

A couple of people I know are doing this, and I'm trying it as well. Seems to be working so far for me.
jeepifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

Hi K-boogie!

I know this thread is from a long time ago... but I am posting just in case you still visit the 3fc and it might be interesting to others too.
I do a mix between IF and Atkins. It works wonders for me. But it has a twist... I do it during the whole week... I fast all day and when I eat, at night I follow the Atkins diet...
The weekends? well, as I am such a good girl during the week I give myself a break during the weekends.
But I am thinking about change it and try do only Atkins (induction phase) during the week and free diet on weekends... I wonder if I would get same results...
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote