Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-05-2006, 07:58 PM   #1  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Default Scales and food and dumbells (oh my)!

Sorry in advance for the long post – I didn’t realize that I had so much to say.

Have you ever felt like you were spinning in circles with no real direction?

Here’s the background. I am 5’4” and my current weight is around 133 lbs. At my highest weight, I was probably between 185 and 190 lbs. but really, who knows for sure? It’s taken me a long time to get here. Not surprising really given the usual food issues, a history of dieting that goes back to about 8 or 10 years old, and an under active thyroid.

I lost the weight mostly through portion control and really changing the way my husband and I cook and eat at almost every meal. I think about everything I eat, all the time. Not that I don’t splurge because I most certainly do but I am very aware of what I eat.

Like most people, I would love to lose another 10 lbs but I’ve been at this weight for over a year and I don’t know if that’s going to happen. So I caved and joined the gym, not necessarily for the weight loss but to look and feel better all around.

I now know the benefits of strength training and I love going to the gym and really feeling like I’ve accomplished something. But I do still want to mix it up and I still love my step classes. There is though only so many days in the week and this is where I’m at a loss.

Will I really see any change doing a step class once a week, a power class (see link if you're not familiar with it)http://www.quantumfitness.ca/programs/power.asp once a week and my own weight program once a week?? Should I add in one day at home with some hand weights? I don’t think I can make it to the gym any more than three times in a week. Do I have to give up step? And should I ignore the scale (I have a love/hate relationship with it) for now? How long would it take to really see a change – any change? Do you see the problems and all the questions?

I’m at a loss and looking for all the help I can get so thanks in advance!
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:05 PM   #2  
Mel

Hi Elisa
First, how long have you been doing the step class, power class, lift once a week routine? Did you see results and are you continuing to see them? What results are you seeing? If your weight hasn't changed, has your shape and size?

If you haven't been doing this very long (under 3 months) I think it's a good start on a program and you should continue it. If youv'e been doing it for more than 3 months and aren't seeing any results either on the scale or in the mirror, I think it's time to change. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results doesn't get you anywhere

From my experience, your workout routine will take you to a certain level of fitness and certainly make maintenance easier. You will be healthier- BUT it's not enough to see dramatic changes in your body unless you were a basic couch potato previously If you want to see the scale weight go down, you need to take a closer look at your food as well as add more cardio (step class counts as cardio as long as you keep moving and your heart rate stays up there the entire time), and probably another day of lifting to see shape changes.

Another option is to forget about losing "weight" and work on changing your body composition through more and heavier lifting. Most power classes don't even approach the kind of lifting that will really change your body shape. I lost 2 pants sizes but my weight remained stable in the first three months after I hit my goal weight with heavy lifting on a 3 day split.

So the answer to your question really depends on where you are in your fitness journey and what you want your body to look like.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:46 PM   #3  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Thanks so much for the answer and the information Mel!

To answer your questions back to me, it has only been about three months that I've been going to the gym. And, admittedly, it took me some time to get into a routine. I'm not bored yet or looking for quick fixes, I just want to try to make the best use of my time while enjoying myself too.

I love the step class and it is a great aerobic workout. I choose a class that is quite intense and it absolutely gets my heartrate up and it also tones my legs and butt!

The power class is a great allover barbell workout but the nature of the class is more higher repetition and lower weights. It's just the way it's designed.

When I do my own workout, I use almost all dumbells and try for as much weight as I can handle and do 3 sets of 8-10 repetitions. From what I've read, that's the better way to build muscle. I'm still learning, that's for sure!

How does that sound? I know it's a good start and yes, until I re-joined the gym, I was more of a couch potato. I'm a walker but that was about it.

My other question, that I forgot to ask, is anyone's opinion on the "soreness factor". What I mean is, during the power class and on my own, I'm working out so that I am completely fatiguing my muscles, or so it feels to me. I'm am seriously struggling near the end. And sometimes I'm sore the next day or so (which I like) but not always. Am I doing enough, even if I'm not sore?

For example squats - during the power class, my legs are shaking and I'm having trouble getting through but the next day - nothing? How is that possible? I'm much weaker on my upper body so I usually feel that, but not always and almost never in biceps even though, like I said, I could not do another curl when I'm done.

Finally regarding the whole scale thing, I am trying to focus more on health and seeing a difference in the mirror and in my clothes, rather than the number on the scale. I know that at my weight, I could look a lot better, but I don't want to go up. As for possibly changing my food, I'm sure there's a lot I could do there too but I'll leave that for now as this is already getting long.

So many questions, so much to learn. I'm going to take some of your advice and add some more cardio and maybe a little weights at home, if I can

But thanks again!!

Oh..and what do I want my body to look like? I just want to look good in a tank top and shorts...and dreams of a bikini before I die!!
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 02:02 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisa822 View Post

My other question, that I forgot to ask, is anyone's opinion on the "soreness factor". What I mean is, during the power class and on my own, I'm working out so that I am completely fatiguing my muscles, or so it feels to me. I'm am seriously struggling near the end. And sometimes I'm sore the next day or so (which I like) but not always. Am I doing enough, even if I'm not sore?

For example squats - during the power class, my legs are shaking and I'm having trouble getting through but the next day - nothing? How is that possible? I'm much weaker on my upper body so I usually feel that, but not always and almost never in biceps even though, like I said, I could not do another curl when I'm done.
!
You are doing enough if you are still progressing. If the gains are leveling off you may want to change up your lifting routine. Soreness is not nearly as good a measure of progress as getting stronger is, so I wouldn't worry about it unless you find that you are getting so sore it is interfering with your next workout.

I avoid training to failure for the most part, except for the last rep of my final set. I probably shouldn't even do that as too much intensity is a great way for me to shut down all progress. I don't find HIT very productive at this stage in my training.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote