Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-06-2006, 08:00 AM   #1  

Question Leg Exercises that Don't Stress the Knees (too much)?

I am trying to get into a regular leg routine and my knee is giving me quite a bit of trouble. It sings when I do a lot of the leg exercises.

What are the best leg exercises that don't stress the knees (too much) or does anyone have modifications for bad knees?

Thanks!
susanje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 148/115/119

Height: 5'3"

Form is important. Make sure your knees are ALWAYS behind your toes. Make sure that your feet are facing straight forward (biggie for me...for some reason i tend to point my feet OUT and it KILLS my knees). Try modifying your form FIRST....use a mirror if you have to. I almost gave up on lunges and squats because my knees, but then noticed what i was doing with my feet and it made a huge difference....dosnt bother me at all...but my knees still squeak something awful (Juvenille Rhum. arthritis when I was in JR High...been in remission for awhile but after effects and damage are still there)

there are lots of excercises that dont stress your knees but work your legs. rear leg lifts (add an ankle weight for more resistance) are good for butt and hamstrings and can replace squats, side leg lifts are good for the outer hip, front leg lifts and are easy on the knees and good for the quads. There are a lot of stability ball excercises that can work the legs and are very low impact... try looking on About.com ...they have a ton of stuff. T-Tapp is a good regimen for anyone looking for full body strength that have re-hab issues, or weak areas. Pilates and Yoga take some time to build the strength and flexibilty to be "ideal", but are still very good for legs and very low impact(warrior pose will KILL your quads if you hold it long enough). There are alot of ballerina workouts out there...they are excellent for legs, and usually either low impact or easily modified.
Button_ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

For my legs, i found the elliptical works wonders with no impact on the knees. I cant do treadmils but i can do bikes and ellipticals. Also i do pilates ALOT. There is a "fetal 5" series for the legs that Winsor pilates has, wow what a work out and it is all done laying on your side. No impact what so ever. Yoga kills my knees so i opt for pilates. And with the winsor pilates, anything she modifies everything if you need to do the modified version. Also the balance ball has a lot to offer for bad knees.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:55 AM   #4  

Thanks!!! I live in an apt building so I tend to stay away from exercise DVDs but have had T-Tapp recommended to me before. It says there is no jumping...is there anything else (running in place) that would make it a no-no in an apartment building? (I have hardwood floors so you HEAR the noise on the floor). If they are neighbor friendly I would love to check them out. Does anyone know what they involve?

I also have some Windsor pilates DVDs. My dr. spooked me when she said that if I do Pilates I have to watch my form because of osteo spine issues. I do like the Windsor though. I have a couple of the DVDs and the exercises are not noisy so I will re-incorporate them.

I like the idea of reverse leg lifts as well...that is a good suggestion!
Old 09-06-2006, 09:17 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 148/115/119

Height: 5'3"

T-Tapp is NO impact whatsoever...more isometric than anything...its very unique, but its great if you have rehab issues of any kind (spine, hip, knee etc) or if you are too heavy to do traditional excercises (still heck of a workout for skinny folks too) its also very short (15-30 minutes/day). A friend of mine had spine surgery and does t-tapp and has no problem with it, and she LOOKS like she spends alot more time working out than she does.
Button_ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Susan, do plies bother your knees? I can't do lunges, but am okay with a dumbbell plie, and on that one, you can point your toes out.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:31 PM   #7  
Mel

Susan- do you know what's actually wrong with it? Do you have cartilage loss or ligament damage from the accident? Arthritis?

I usually have my clients with knee issues do squats with a stability ball behind their back, against a wall. Play around with foot position and see if that changes anything for you. if you can't go deep, just go to where it doesn't hurt. I never do heavy full range of motion leg extensions with someone with bad knees.

When I first started lifting, I had terrible knees and used to wrap them but still did heavy leg presses and squats. For me, it was more an issue of strengthening the supporting musculature and ligaments and getting some of the weight off them. But I didn't have any actual damage.

Hopefully Meg will answer this also- she has some real knee issues also and is having to modify and change her leg workouts.

Are you working out at home or in a gym? Hmmm....you said you were working with a trainer...did you tell her?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:16 AM   #8  

Thanks everyone! The knee that bothers me is, remarkably, the one that WASN'T hurt in the accident. My doctor's theory is that I stressed it when the other leg was out of commission for so long...really favored it.

When I bend it, it sounds like velcro tearing and I have a constant dull pain in it...occasionally it feels like it's going to "give way" though it never has...my doctor, I believe, said it's something scraping against something (see why I didn't go to medical school? my eyes glaze over when a dr says it's whatchamacallit) and wants me to use glucosamine/chrondrotin and MSM to try to avoid surgery. I've been taking g/c/m for about 3 months now and it really hasn't relieved the sound and the dull pain.

I'm really surprised the leg presses hurt as much as they did. I really tried to put my feet in all kinds of different positions and all of them hurt.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:18 AM   #9  

I also ordered T-Tapp yesterday. I'll report in when I start using it!!

I'm going to try the stability ball thing tonight. I train tonight with my trainer and tonight we're going to concentrate on legs so I'm going to mention that to her if she doesn't mention it first.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:00 AM   #10  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hi Susan

I have the same problem and just asked my doctor about it yesterday. She recommended glucosamine which I bought and started taking. Also low impact stuff is great. I highly recommend water aerobics. You get a great workout and not a heavy impact on the joints. I've been doing shallow water since our outdoor pool is only 4" deep... but since fall is here and going to public pool am going to begin deep water ones.

Also, I tried the cross-trainer... very carefully at first... and was surprised to find that it actually seemed to HELP my knee which at the time was kind of stiff and creaky. Of course I had to be careful not to go too fast on it for now.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:32 AM   #11  

Osteoarthritis, i.e. loss of cartilage causing the bones to rub together?

Mel's advice is definitely worth trying out. Alot of people get excessive wear on their joints because of a lack of muscle strength relative to their weight. Losing weight and getting stronger will definitely help.

I have never had a knee injury, but my knees are a little uncomfortable with stair climbing because of years of cumulative wear. I do leg press and squats (just below parallel), and I am using a Lifecycle and Concept2 rower for cardio. I avoid any sort of impact exercises or "stair climbing" type motions. Lunges are definitely out for me.

Robert
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:45 AM   #12  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hi Robert... good points! And yes, my doctor too did advise that continuing to get my weight off would probably be a big help.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:03 PM   #13  
Working My Way Back Down

Susan, this article http://www.fleetfeetpittsburgh.com/healthinfo/knee.htm describes a couple types of knee conditions. Edit: or see this one http://www.healthline.com/galeconten...lacia-patellae

I have chrondomalacia which basically means that the ends of the leg bones are no longer cushioned in my knee joints, and they rub together and also make it extremely painful to kneel for more than about 30 seconds. Weight loss does help, as does regular exercise. (Glucosomine does nothing for me.) They actually hurt more if I slack off the exercise. I just need to be careful not to torque them (i.e. aerobic class style lunges where you jump, twist into position while "airborn" and then land with your legs in a different position than when you took off - hard to explain in words ) Anyway, no twisting of knees with weight, and no high impact things - aerobics, running on hard surfaces.

Last edited by WaterRat; 09-07-2006 at 01:09 PM.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:35 PM   #14  

Thanks everyone! I saw my trainer tonight and she wanted to do legs and I could not do the leg press...the knee was bugging me. On the leg extensions she had me point my toes in and out and that DEFINITELY hel;ped but I still had pain. She gave me the name of a dr. to have it checked out.

When I was in my car accident I had just lost 30 lbs. I was in the rehab unit for a month and was told I would not have been accepted there if I still had all that weight on me (I was still overweight when I went to rehab but not as much as I was). Weight affects this knee "somewhat" but I told my trainer my pain seems to be the same no matter what I do or don't do or how much I weigh. It does seem to be osteo arthritis but I am getting a formal diagnosis to see what I can do.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:56 AM   #15  
Meg

Hi Susan! Sorry I'm so late to the party but I'm out of town and have sporadic Internet use. Like Mel said in her post, I've been dealing with knee issues too and maybe have some ideas, especially if it's arthritis.

I found out this spring that I don't have any cartilage at all in either knee due to 'severe osteoarthritis', so they're both bone on bone. Honestly, my doctor was astounded that I can get around as well as I do given how awful the Xrays look and attributes it to my ridiculously strong leg muscles. He'd happily replace both knees tomorrow but I'm definitely not ready for that so we've done a lot of talking about how to preserve their function.

Muscle strength really is the key to dealing with arthritis of the knees. The stronger you can make the muscles that support the knee, the more you relieve the pressure on the damaged joint. Like an internal knee brace, you know? Study after study has shown that the more active you are, the better your outcome and function.

But he gave me some modifications to traditional leg exercises to preserve the function I still have. The first rule is to avoid impacts. I can't run or walk for exercise (both kill me) but have no problem with the bike or elliptical and shoot for about an hour of cardio a day. Like Misti suggested, swimming is awesome too. It's ironic that I can't walk around the grocery store without pain but can do an hour on the elliptical, no problems. No jumping either, so no plyometrics.

Rule #2 is no exercises to a 90 degree angle. That means on squats, lunges, leg press, hack squats, extensions etc. I have to stop short of 90. I still do BB squats but stop short of parallel.

Rule #3 is no more heavy weights. And by heavy, he meant 500# leg press and 205# squats. He's OK with 135# squats and 3 plates on a side on leg press but more than that stresses the joint too much, so that's about my limit now. So I compensate for lower weights by going higher in reps -- like for one workout, I did ten sets of 25 BB squats at 95#. It worked. I often do sets of 25 now, sometimes 50.

Rule #4 is try to exercise one leg at a time because the stronger leg will always try to compensate for the weaker. So I do one-legged extensions at 30 or 45# and only do half reps from the middle to the top of the movement (so my knees don't go to 90 degrees). If you just switch back and forth from one leg to another for five or six sets, it works pretty well. You can do one-legged squat with the ball, one-legged curls and leg press, and of course, lunges are one-legged.

So the bottom line is that I can still work out using all the traditional leg exercises so long as I modify them a bit. So far, my legs still feel strong and the knees are hanging in there.

Couple of notes: I've been taking the G/C for many years and think it helps, so it's worth a shot. And my doctor said that noise in the knees (crepidation) isn't a problem unless it's accompanied by pain.

Good luck with the knees! A formal diagnosis is a great idea and will certainly help you figure out how to keep them strong.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote