Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-25-2006, 01:06 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default Do you *really* rest between sets?

Multi-tasker that I am, I have always done my weights in a "circle," one set of A, one set of B, one set of C, second set of A, second set of B, etc, until I do the number of sets for each lift that I have decided on. I don't really take a rest between sets because I figure that doing a different lift is still giving those first muscles some recovery time. This way, I reduce the amount of time I'm in the gym and give a little bit of a cardio boost to my lifting.

My question is this: should I be sitting there doing nothing for 45-90 seconds between sets and actually giving myself a rest. I'm starting to think that I might be able to lift much heavier and therefore get better results if did so. How do y'all do it?

BTW, I do basically an upper/lower split, lifting about 4 days/wk.
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:24 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm a rester but it is fairly short, 45-60 seconds. Unless it is the first set, I'm usually feeling pretty drained after a set so I couldn't imagine doing another set even on a different muscle group. Some people may find it boring, but I kind of like it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 02:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 330/265/175

Hi Julia,
I typically rest between sets, but it truly depends on the type of program I'm doing. I switch my programs up every 6 weeks or so. One of my programs was much like what you described, however my current program has 60 seconds rest in between sets. I find I need it for my current program, as I push myself to keep lifting heavier and heavier. I've also done programs where I'll lift lighter weights and do 20 reps with only a 15 second rest between. My trainer who originally taught me everything I know about lifting was keen on mixing things up and varying between heavier lifting programs and lighter lifting programs. I've been lifting consistently since last August, though I originally started in November 2004.
Lekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:42 PM   #4  
WW Moderator

I rest unless I am doing an upper/lower split. If I'm doing opposite ends of the body, then I change almost constantly to try and keep my heart rate up as much as possible.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:22 AM   #5  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I rest most of the time, however sometimes on machines I will do one set of seated leg extension, then one set of lying leg curls, then leg extension then curls etc just to wear out my muscles! But I certainly don't do it all the time.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Depends on whether B and C are same body part or a different part. If different, that's like an active rest, which would be ok, but if you are working the same body part with a different exercise, it's more problematic, and probably warrants a rest.
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote