Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-16-2006, 10:56 PM   #1  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

Default Substitute for Incline Chest Press

Hi all

I don't have access to a bench and generally do my chest presses on the floor. I understand that doing an incline press works the pecs better and wanted to see if I could substitute it somehow. The only thing I can think of is leaning against my stability ball, while it leans against a wall and have my upper back against it to create a slight incline.

Failing that (which I feel might be detrimental to my lower back) would a plain old chest press do the job? I know they target different areas within the chest, but essentially do the same job - right? The only thing is that I have been doing them since I first started doing weights, so the move is a bit old for me now, which is why I want to change it up.

At the moment my chest exercises are a pullover (which I also want to substitute as I don't get the range of motion over the head, while lying on the floor) and the chest press.

I appreciate your help
Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:19 AM   #2  

When doing a chest press, you are working both the clavicular and sternal parts of the chest with emphasis on the sternal. The incline press emphasizes the clavicular part.

Emphasis on the clavicular:
Exercise Ball Pushup- Position yourself on your toes, straight legs, and your hands on the sides of a stability ball. Perform a pushup on the ball, bringing your chest to the ball. Only the elbows, toes and wrists flex.

A dumbbell fly works mainly the sternum, but the clavicular secondary. You could try a long narrow coffee table as a bench.

I couldn’t find a substitute for the dumbbell pullover. That works the lats, shoulders, rotator cuff and rhomboids, in addition to the chest. You may have to do isolated exercises for the other areas.

Hope this helps...
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:00 AM   #3  

The Floor Press, when done correctly, is a great exercise for triceps and shoulder strength. I would keep working the floor press and/or military press and throw in Fly's on the stability ball for pec strength.

I don't even train my pecs directly right now, and it is not as if they are disappearing. If you are not concerned with your max benchpress or the appearance of your chest, you do not need to put alot of work on your pectorals. The full ROM benchpress is such a big ego lift among male lifters that it tends to be overemphasized. Squats, deadlifts, chins and military presses deserve alot more attention than most give them.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:44 PM   #4  
Mel

Or just ditch the weights and do pushups. No bench needed! If you can't do a full push up yet, you can do modified ones with your knees on the ground, or do stability ball pushups. Flop onto the ball on your stomach, and "walk" out with your hands to where you can balance and do 10-12 pushups. Today that may be your upper thighs. In a few weeks, maybe your calves. As you get stronger, you'll be able to go farther out- by the time you can do them with your ankles on the ball, I guarantee that you can do "real" pushups on the floor!

I would also add flyes on the stability ball. I don't think dropping out chest exercises is a good idea. As you lose weight, most women tend to lose top down. And that means looking saggy. Good musculature helps

I just re-read Northern Belle's post. Her version of a stability ball pushup is an excellent exercise, but it it a lot harder because your hands are on an unstable surface. IMO, you need to be able to do at least modified pushups on the floor fairly well before you try that version. If you have back isssues, try with your stomach on the ball and your hands on the floor.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:42 PM   #5  
fat fighter

i had thought about doing push ups to get some real resistance. not my favorite move though.

i like both suggestions for the stability ball push up and think i might work it in on my upper day in place of a chest press.

i think i will do the flys instead of the pullovers and on the ball too. although i have been doing flys and basic chest presses for ages, since I have moved my weights from 1, 2 & 3kg to 3, 4, 5kg dumbbells, i am sure i will start to get results.

thanks everyone
Old 05-18-2006, 09:50 AM   #6  

Quote:
As you lose weight, most women tend to lose top down. And that means looking saggy. Good musculature helps
Men too. The fat sort of settles downward, and is especially noticeable at the beltline vs. under the ribs. I have ~6" difference there right now.

As Mel pointed out, doing pushups with your feet raised IS an incline press. Check out Krista's article on Mistressing the Pushup
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:55 PM   #7  
fat fighter

I totally agree. I am very conscious of giving each body part the attention it deserves and not neglecting anything. I had a bit of an NSV this morning in the shower when I realised that my shoulder cap is rock hard! Love it!

Thanks for the article