Old 05-15-2006, 07:38 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #14

Good morning ladies. Hope you had a great day yesterday. We did everything on Saturday so yesterday was pretty quiet here. We just relaxed for the most part.

Jean: I went online and saw that Penney's is having a big home sale so I am ordering a "plethora" of towels, hand towels and washcloths while they are cheaper. They have some gorgeous colors, which is great too. Hope things are rolling along with the MIL thing. Hope Bob can get the hives and allergy situation under control soon. I know he has to be miserable.

We have begun planning for our vacation next year. Looks like we are going to go in July of 2007. I have been searching for what we want to do etc and that is always fun. I will keep you updated and bored to tears most likely!

Not much else is going on here. Guess I will sign off for now and get on the treadmill. I only have two more weeks and the pool will open and then I can start pool workouts again. I am looking forward to that. Finally, from the "I've heard everything file," Hasbro just released a cologne for it's 50th anniversary of Play Doh. It smells just like the stuff and costs $19 a bottle!"

Have a great day

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 05-15-2006 at 08:57 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:26 PM   #2  

Good Evening, Cuties! Today was same stuff on a different day kind of day. The troops were really antsy and our crazy weather didn't help any. We had it all today: cloudy, wind, rain sprinkles, a couple minutes of bright sunshine, pouring rain, very dark clouds, more rain, and finally sunshine to end the day with a rainbow.

"Gma" -- I think we should have a shower every 15 - 20 years to replenish our towels, sheets, etc. I just bought a couple of new kitchen towels for myself. The expensive thick ones were almost $4 while the thin cheap ones were 2 for a $1! You definitely get what you pay for. Bob goes back to the allergist tomorrow so hopefully we'll know more then. His cold is better so that is a plus. I don't think I would like smelling like Play Doh!

I am washing MIL's bedding and towels tonight. I hear the dryer buzzing so time to go change loads.

Have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:27 AM   #3  

Good morning all! It is cool again this morning, but hopefully it will warm up. Looks like we are going to get some rain though. Glad we now have a treadmill so I don't have to worry about walking in the rain. I will be glad when the pool opens up though it is NOT going to be like last year since the skanky neighbors aren't living here anymore. I only know of a couple people who would knock on my door to have me open the pool and they have both since moved. I have had it with the association not paying for a guard of some kind with pool passes (they let people run up association fees into the thousands before they sue them so we have a lot of money owed out there that isn't getting paid and could be used for this purpose.) Anyway, if someone asks me to unlock it, I will and it will stay unlocked until night. I am NOT running back and forth nor am I fighting with people that don't belong there and possibly putting my life in jeopardy. If that means they close the pool so be it. I will miss it, but darn it, I am not going through what I did last year. I am waiting for them to be stupid enough to send out flyers telling tenants and owners who the people are who have pools keys and if they do that, I am NOT EVER going to answer the front door and will keep the back gate locked. In this neighborhood with so many renters you don't recognize it is asking to get robbed or attacked.

Jean: I'm with you about the shower, but I wouldn't get many "gifts" as I only know my dd and her in-laws so it would be a small shower! I am trying to stockpile good towels etc when they are on sale so that when the current ones start to get a little worn looking I can switch them out. I have a pile of old towels I keep for bathing the dog, painting etc and when the current towels go into the "old" pile then the old ones get thrown out. That way the old ones are decent to use for the dog etc too.

Boy it was chilly for soccer practice last night. A couple of the kids showed up in shorts and practically froze to death. Kelly cut it short because it was cold and she only had 4 players to coach. We have a game Sat, then a game Monday, which T is not going to be at so we aren't going then one Memorial Day weekend they may cancel because so many people are going to be gone they don't think they will have enough teams and I am hoping they won't reschedule that one. I mean, why do that when you already plan two extra season games in case of rain and we have only had one rain out this season? Just drop the last game and be done with it. Looks like T won't play in the fall so we won't even have to deal with any of that anymore.

Well, sitting here is only exercising my fingers so I better get up and get going on the treadmill.

Have a good day everyone.

Faye
Old 05-16-2006, 10:22 PM   #4  

Good Evening, Flowers! The sun finally came out late this afternoon, but it was another cold windy day in my neighborhood. I'm sick of this weather! One of our students announced she will be gone alll next week. We have final exams beginning Wed. and most teachers will use Mon. and Tue. to review and get all assignments finished up. The asst. principal told her she could make up her finals on the 30th and 31st. The 31st is a work day for teachers and we are done at noon. I think the special ed. teachers are going to make her take the exams before she leaves. I don't know what her parents are thinking . . . obviously they are not!

Bob went back to the allergist today and all of his tests came back fine . . . the doctor said he is a healthy 61 year old man with hives! I can hardly wait to find out how much this round of tests cost. He is on some sort of prescription and the doctor told him to keep taking that and to come back in August!

"Gma" -- Could you just unlock the pool while you are in it and then lock it when you leave? I am surprised that the association can get by without having a lifeguard if there are children using the pool without adult supervision. I sure wouldn't want to be responsible for somebody I didn't know. We've taken old towels to our vet. They also like to get the small containers that chip dip comes in because they use them for the cats and they don't tip over. As in just about everything, I don't think they make towels like they used to. I have some white towels that were given to us for wedding gifts and they are much thicker than the towels I buy now. Of course I only hung the white towels out for "show" when we had company coming.

Not much else is newsy from here. Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-17-2006, 08:07 AM   #5  

Good morning everyone. It is a nice cool morning, but I see lots of blue sky so I am sure it is going to be a nice day.

The maintenance man is repairing the garage in the empty condo next door and told me that day before yesterday someone was looking at it. I hope if they buy it they are decent people. I am so sick of having nasty neighbors. He said the back door on the condo had been unlocked this whole time and that the place is trashed. I told him I kept finding the gate open and wondered if people were coming in and selling drugs or such though we hadn't heard anyone in there.

Jean: What a wonderful idea about the towels. I will be sure and do that. I never thought about it, but they do pad the kennel cages with towels and need them for grooming etc. Maybe Bob has "stress" hives. Is he prone to being stressed? Something sure triggers them if they go away and if not, something is causing them for sure. I am so sorry. He has got to be just miserable. My younger sister does stupid stuff like that with her dd. Takes her out of school for a week to go on a vacation (she did that for my son's wedding) Parents seem to think it is the teacher's responsibility to keep their little monsters caught up in school. The association has huge metal signs posted that there is no life guard on duty and children must be over 14 to swim alone. That doesn't stop them from letting little kids swim alone, but we all try and toss them out when they try to come over without a parent. Oh and I do, lock up. In fact, I lock myself in and then lock up, but if they happen to catch me, I have to go unlock it and if I do that, it will stay unlocked until nightfall. I am fed up with being responsible just because I have a key. There is another lady who is on the board and lives in view of the pool and you never see her unless she has her niece and nephew visiting and she brings them to swim. I think they should just cough up the money for key cards or something and have a paid person be over there the whole time the pool is open. I would also go back to evening swim for adults only though most of the scum that crashes our pools ARE adults and not kids. Personally, I think they should just hire a security guard to do it. That way it looks like a law presence and we would be likely to have less of a problem with them wanting to fight back like I had last year.

I have floors to mop this morning, one of my least favorite chores, so I guess I better get to them. I have weights to do today today and am not particularly looking forward to that either.

Have a good day

Faye
Old 05-17-2006, 10:06 PM   #6  

Good Evening, Flowers! It has been a warmer day, but still windy in my corner of the world. Either I'm more aware of the weather as I get older or else our weather pattern has/is definitely changing over the past few years. Today was a screwy day at school; the morning was 'normal' if there is such a thing, the student council served a free hot dog picnic lunch but it was outside in the wind and students claimed they couldn't hear the bells so were late coming back to class during the lunch hour, then after lunch there was a meeting for the minority students about some sort of minority congress (the teachers thought we should be going since we are now the minority!), and then we had a pep rally for the track teams that are going to state. Then the administration wonders why we have so many students on the incomplete list!

"Gma" -- I will keep my fingers and toes crossed that you get some nice neighbors this time. I would hate to buy something that someone else has trashed although maybe the price is much lower considering the man/woman hours it would take to clean the place up. I would assume Bob's hives are stress related and could blame it on trying to get his mom situated. But when they first appeared, right after Christmas, he couldn't put his finger on anything that was stressing him out. The doctor pretty much said he will have to treat the symptoms since they can't find anything that he is reacting to. Bob has a customer that has lived with hives for years and his are stress related. He told Bob he can tell when they're coming and starts taking something OTC which keeps them from itching. It's a mystery for sure. I hope you have a good summer at the pool. Maybe the scruddy people have moved on . . . wishful thinking!

I have the end of MIL's laundry going so need to fold the towels and get them in the basket. I made a WM run to pick up a few items, for her, that I thought of at school today.

Have a terrific Thursday tomorrow . . . the choice is yours!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-18-2006, 06:14 AM   #7  

Good morning gals! It is going to be another nice day here. I went and sat outside and read for awhile yesterday afternoon on the deck and that was nice.

The maintenance man is going at it on the condo next door. He has practically rebuilt the garage next door they did so much damage to it. He then moved on to the roof. I was told by one of the ladies on the board and has lived here a long time that the scuzzy people that lived here got kicked OUT and the association owns the condo now. I guess the owner was thousands of $$$ in arrears on fees. My worry is they sell to investors who rent it out again. UGH! I was a renter for 25 years, but at least I took care of the property like it was my own and left it in good condition. It amazes me what people will do. The worst I ever left any place was NOT shampooing all the carpets before I left and not mopping etc, when the agency said we would not be getting our deposit back because we patched the nail holes and they would have to repaint (which we had been told to do before we moved out!) So I refused to "clean" the darn thing.

Jean: I just hope Bob can figure out a way to be comfortable if he has to live with the darn things flaring up from time to time. The pool opens Memorial Day and we will be gone, but I am surely going to plunge into the freezing water the next day! For now I can live with doing weights twice a week and 4 days of the ole treadmill I guess.

My poor son and dil had to put their cat down. They did an honorarium to him on their website, posting pics from when he was a kitten etc. Just made me cry to look at them. He was such a beautiful cat and to have to endure what he did was so sad. I know that they are really sad about having to put him to sleep and I sure do feel for them. I know I get mad at my pets sometimes, but I love them to death and would hate to have to put one to sleep. I think I would have to make Jack do it. I just don't think I could. They are like my babies.

Well, I heard Jack up and stirring so I need to go up and make the bed and get the ole day started.

Have a wonderful day friends! Here's to starting the weekend early!

Faye
Old 05-18-2006, 08:48 PM   #8  

Good Evening, Flowers! I got a call late last night that we were having an emergency staff meeting this morning at 7:30. It seems that yesterday 'someone' left a note in the student center making reference to a couple of the preppie jock students who had been bragging about how great the baseball team will be this summer. The note ended by saying that without the two students the team would be nothing. The note was turned over to the administration who in turn called in the police. They checked all of the computers and the note was not typed on any of those at school. The two students were not in school today because they went to the state track meet. We had police officers in an out of the building all day and there were police cars stationed at the intersections after school. I'm not sure just what they were looking for. They are treating this as a threat against the two students, one of whose mom is a teacher at the high school. That's my excitement for the day!

"Gma" -- We cleaned the apt. when we moved from Mpls. and the manager couldn't believe it. She said usually people just leave a mess and forfeit their deposit. I'm sad about your son's cat too. When the time comes and your pets are sick, you can do it. You just have to remember that you've loved them and given them a good life, but now they aren't enjoying their life any more. It's hard, no doubt about it.

I hope you have a relaxing evening. Tomorrow is Friday . . . YEAH!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-19-2006, 07:07 AM   #9  

Good morning gals! We are expecting rain, I think, but it is a warm day already. I talked to a real estate agent who is going to buy the property next door and rent it...UGH! He did promise me he only rents to pretty much perfect tenants, yeah right! So, I am hoping that we eventually get someone decent in there. He showed me the inside of the condo and those people destroyed it. The floors and carpets were disgusting with stuff that won't come up and he is having to retile the whole place, all the toilets have to be changed out as they were tore up etc. It was a real mess inside.

Today is T's big kindergarten graduation at 9 AM. Jack decided to take a vacation day as he has to get blood work done anyway and go so that will surprise Thomas as he never gets to go to his stuff. Besides, his laptop started acting up last night and I think he is really worried about it. Thank goodness I was able to move my budget and expense programs while it was still working in case it crashes. He can't figure out what is wrong with it as we can do somethings but it won't run any microsoft programs like office etc and it won't recognize the internal hard drive.

Jean: Sounds like your school has another mess. Whomever does all this stuff must surely have fun watching everyone run around trying to protect everyone. Little snots. They KNOW everyone has to take whatever it is seriously.

Well, I am off to get chores done as we have to leave at 8 to get his blood drawn so we can get to the graduation and get decent seats.

TTFN

Faye (PS: 4:24 PM here is a pic of T right after his graduation in his classroom. It was so cute and Nonny slipped him a 20 just for doing such a good job! )

Last edited by gma22; 11-30-2006 at 04:56 AM.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:33 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I've had a sinus headache all day and the "crabbies" to go along with it! We had alot of subs in the building today, it was the seniors last half day as they were done at 11:30, and the rest of the crew was quite testy to put it nicely. It got really warm this afternoon and everyone was anxious to get out for the weekend. Bob went to the lake to get some of MIL's furniture; she called last night and mentioned again that she thought she might be able to stay at the lake alone after all. Every time she calls she's changed her mind about something and it driving Bob nuts. I'm not sure how he is going to deal with her on a 12 month basis. She did mention going back to AZ this fall again so who knows what will happen.

"Gma" -- T looks so grown up in the picture! I'm sending positive vibes that good neighbors move in! I hope Jack's computer isn't having a major breakdown! They are a great invention when they work right.

I need to get my laundry going since we are going to be gone most of tomorrow. We're taking bedding, etc., to MIL's apt., shopping for a small table and chairs set for her, shopping for a wedding outfit for me so I don't have to wear what I wore several years ago, and going to Zowie's birthday party later in the afternoon. Doesn't seem possible she is one already.

Have a nice weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-20-2006, 05:35 AM   #11  

Good morning Magnolias! It is already steamy outside at 4 AM this morning. I let the dog out and it kind of hit me in the face. I had been expecting cooler temps. It is supposed to be in the upper 80's today so I am sure it is going to be sticky.

We have a soccer game this morning, then T isn't playing on Monday so we aren't going. I have snacks next Saturday, but they may cancel the game because of the holiday weekend so I may not have to do anything anyway. I will then just give the box of Kudos to Thomas and keep the drinks for him when he comes over.

I guess we finally decided on bday presents for him. I am buying he and his parents day passes to a water park then giving them half the money for the hotel and I am giving him $20 so that he now has enough money to buy his Nintendo machine that he wants. She told me that she didn't want anyone buying it for him for a gift, but that he could take the money he saved up and buy it so I have been giving him $20 here and there so that he now has enough. I asked him yesterday how much he had saved and he said, $132 with the $20 I gave him at graduation yesterday. I ask him how much his Nintendo was and he said $129 so I thought I would give him the rest of the money for the tax for his birthday, which is the 25th of next month. I made the cutest "certificate" for the hotel stay. He LOVES the Embassy Suites in Nashville and they are going to take him there to stay. I made up a gift certificate for it and it is so cute. I have this great art program called Print Artist and you can do all kinds of things with it. I have made tons of stuff including my dd's baby shower invites when she was pregnant with him, our 25th anniversary re-marry ceremony, cards, flyers, all kinds of stuff.

Jean: It must be to keep the kids in line this close to school getting out. I remember my high school days as the last week being awful except I had exams to pass. I bet some of your kids could care less about an exam. I freaked for 2 weeks before. Thank goodness I never failed one. I did almost fail Geometry, but I just couldn't get a handle on understanding it.

I rejoined a book club I had left and am getting a whole bunch of books and can't wait. I am a real reader and I haven't been going to the library because the new books can only be taken out for a week, which I think is a rip. I mean, most people can't finish a book in a week because they aren't stay at homes like I. I, on the other hand, find too many I want so to be sure and get them I take 8-9 home and have to try and read more than one a day! I got 6 free, one for $5.99 and it counted towards my membership requirements, which is 4 books in two years. I then went back in and bought three more books, one of which is free and counted toward my membership, so now I don't have to buy anymore if I don't want to! I have two knitting projects started, but for the time being it is too hot to knit and I am having some arthritis problems in my left hand and it has been pretty painful to knit. Last night, my middle index finger was actually bruised looking from being swollen at the knuckle. I sure hope I have not developed Rhuematoid arthritis. My daddy had it bad and I can remember his hands were always so swollen and knarled and he was only in his early 50's when he died.

Well gals, I am probably going to try and go back to bed. I have to hit the streets at 8:30 this morning so we can get a bite to eat and go to the soccer game.

Faye
Old 05-21-2006, 12:04 AM   #12  

Good Evening, Flowers! We just got home a little while ago and I've ironed our church clothes for tomorrow. We took a trunk load of "stuff" to MIL's apt., bought a small table and chair set for her, went to Kohl's to look for an outfit for me and came out with nada, stopped at Target for a few things, and finally went to the birthday party. The weather cooperated so we could be outside and other than trying to keep track of 3 betwee the age of 3 1/2 and 2 1/2 and 3 more under the age of 13 months it was a nice party. They are busy for sure!

"Gma" -- You were up VERY early this morning! I hope T's team won their game this morning! The birthday present plan sounds like a good deal; I think when kids have to buy a big ticket item they take better care of it and especially if they've had to wait awhile to get it. We stayed at the Embassy in Maui and it was wonderful! I understand that they have changed their name; they merged with Hilton and then Hilton either sold them again or combined with something else. We got a letter from the Embassy Suites shortly after we got home explaining the name change. I hope their service doesn't change because it was super. I belonged to a book club years ago and quit when I went to work full time because I couldn't keep up. I hope the arthritis is feeling better.

Hope you have a nice "rest of the weekend." It will go too fast!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-21-2006, 07:39 AM   #13  

Good morning gals! Hope it is beautiful in your part of the world. It was 90 here yesterday and woooooo sticky! I got sunburned at the soccer game sitting in the SHADE! Funny how I pick the hottest place in the country to vacation in every year and I never get a sunburn. Could be we don't long distances much and do a lot of it at night.

Jean: I don't know what it was you got about Embassy because they have been owned by Hilton and still are for quite awhile. The reason I know is that Kelly used to work for them for a couple years and we used to stay free at the Embassys when we would go someplace. We decided to go with them and so I booked yesterday and it still comes up on the Hilton website so who knows? Maybe the Hawaiian one was privately owned or something and they bought it???? Thomas's team actually tied yesterday and the soccer club he belongs to is not keeping score any longer but I told them it was important for the KIDS to know how they did so Jack kept score as did the other team. We DO play on the holiday weekend so I guess we will be going as I have snacks and drinks. At least I can get rid of them! I bet it is a real circus when your kids all get together with you and the grandkids. Had to be one parent and one grandparent per kid chasing them around!

We went to the commissary afterward and though Jack was silent, I could see his face . He was not a happy camper.... He hates to grocery shop. I did give him an out and tell him I would take him home after the soccer game but he said no so he had to put up with it!

Thomas was so cute yesterday. With the money we gave him for graduation he had enough to buy his new Nintendo DS. He brought it to the soccer game and sat with us under the tree and showed it to us. He was so excited and explained all the new gadgets that came with it (it is a handheld one.) I guess it can play either the Nintendo games or games from his Gameboy and all the new games for this one. He is excited about that. He just jabbered on and on about it and we listened in rapt attention of course. I ask him how much of his money he has left now and he said he had a little change so I told him that when I gave him more money he could start saving to buy the games for the Nintendo.

I found out the water park has a pool so I am good to go. They can all do the slide stuff and I will just lounge and swim. I can't do all the stairs with my knee and I would hold people up being slow. On top of that, it is hard for me to plop down from standing so to sit from a standing position to get into one of the slides would be practically impossible. I will just play with Thomas when he isn't in the slides or in the kiddies pool. I am looking forward to it. It will be fun. They are going two days but we are just going over on Friday to the water park. They will probably do the zoo on Saturday as they have zoo passes.

Everyone have a great weekend!

Faye
Old 05-21-2006, 05:39 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I went to early church and while Bob was singing at second service I went to buy flowers for my outside pots. I've been doing laundry and just putzing around all afternoon. . .spinning my wheels is more like it.

"Gma" -- It is windy and cooler today; the sun has been playing hide and seek all day long. We are supposed to be getting some rain tonight and then get warmer as the week goes on. I'll bet Thomas is quite proud of his new Nintnedo. I hear the kids talk about them at school and they are a mystery to me! The Maui Embassy does sell their suites although I guess you can stay there if you don't own except that owners have the first choice of dates. The couple we went with book a year in advance for their suites. I'm ready to go back!

Not much else is going on in my corner of the world today. I need to go change laundry loads and pick up the kitchen. Have a marvelous Monday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-22-2006, 07:43 AM   #15  

Good morning ladies. It is muggy and uncomfortable outside this morning and looks like we might just get some rain. We had t-storm watches out last night, but doesn't look like we got any rain.

Jean: I sure hope after all the work you have done your MIL doesn't just change her mind! What kind of flowers do you put in your pots? Of course, I know little or nothing about them so probably won't even know if you tell me. I know geraniums, petunias, impatiens, and that is about it for potted flowers other than the cut kind you get in bouguet etc like tulips and what nots. Aren't you about DONE with school?

I made plans with my dd regarding the water park trip. Instead of paying for their room, she suggested I take him to the mall there in Nashville and let him pick a couple of new games out so that is what we are going to do. It is a big surprise for him so we are going to his birthday party on the 10th and I am going to give him a card with $20 in it like I promised him, then when we leave to go on the trip we are going to tell him we are going out to breakfast with him and stop at a Cracker Barrel about an hour's drive away. I will then give him a birthday card with his water park tickets in it and tell him about the surprise. Jack and I plan on leaving the park early and going and getting a cake as I forgot that we are going straight to the park from home and checking into the hotel later.

We went yesterday and got our haircut and I then brought Jack home and ran out and got my nails done and just picked up something for lunch/dinner for last night. We are going to grill out tonight unless it rains.

I guess I better get on the stick and get my kitchen counters, sink and appliances cleaned as I did part of my cleaning jobs yesterday so need to finish up this morning.

Have a good day ladies!

Faye