Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-01-2006, 09:37 PM   #1  
I've had a rough week...

S/C/G: 245/234.5/230

Default How do you deal with this?

I went to my WW meeting tonight, and as soon as I got off the scale and saw a loss I sat in my seat and I started thinking "hmm, nachos sound good. I should go out and get nachos tonight." Of course my common sense kicked in and said "You idiot! You just made all this progress, and you want to go screw it up?!"

So I came home, and ate a really healthy dinner. But I feel like I sabotaged myself, because I'm still thinking about those nachos. (And I just gave into a chocolate bar my nephew offered me!)

Does it get easier after a few weeks on plan?

I'm curious how others deal with this way of thinking!
MtaTJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I know I had a radical approach that few people take but I just said "no" to all junk. I knew I was a sugar junkie and a binge eater and I was the type that had to compulsively clean a plate (if I ordered nachos, I ate alllll the nachos). I was so tired of being fat and tired and unhealthy that I was willing to do whatever it took to be successful. I knew for me, it was easier not to eat the first bite of something yummy. If I ate that first bite, I wanted a second bite and a third bite and then a cheesecake.

So, when I started, I said "only healthy foods, no unhealthy foods." No fast food, no sugary soda, no chips, no candy, no packaged baked goods, no fried foods. It made it very easy to say "no" to all that stuff because they were absolutely not on my list of acceptable things. I just didn't eat those foods.

After 18 months, I still don't eat those foods but I don't crave them anymore, either. I do eat "treats" on maintenance, but they tend to be really GOOD things, like this decadent chocolate cake at my favorite restaurant that gushes warm chocolate when you put a fork into it. I like to share that with friends. That's my idea of a "treat."

Of course, a lot of people are all about the moderation, "if you really really want nachos, have nachos!" I am insanely jealous of all people who can practice moderation successfully. I had to give up nachos, it worked for me I don't miss nachos, the idea of the 1200+ calorie "nachos all the way" I used to get at least once a week at Qdoba is now kind of gross and greasy to think about.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:00 PM   #3  
LLV

Actually, the more I lost the more I was motivated to stay AWAY from stuff I shouldn't eat.

But that's just me.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/116/110

Height: 5' 4"

You can try having a very small portion of Nachos. It'll help you take your mind off of it and you won't crave it all the time. Or even you can buy the baked tortilla chips and have it with a little nachos cheese. 5-6 chips with a little cheese shouldn't be too bad.
dietnlose? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:46 PM   #5  

If I want a certain food badly enough then I get it. BUT...

It is a decision that has been well thought out and a choice that I take full responsibilty for. I look at the pros and cons. I imagine how I'm going to feel if the scale doesn't move at my next weigh in. I consider whether or not I'll be able to enjoy the food without regret or guilt. How will I feel if I overcome the craving? I figure out whether I really in truely want that particular food or if I just feel like I "deserve" it. I try and think of a healthy alternative that might also hit the spot. Sometimes I sleep on it and if I still have the craving the next day I go ahead and fit it into my calorie allotment for the week.

Usually, after all this thought, I don't even want whatever it is that I was craving anymore. But the bottom line is that what I choose to eat is just that -a choice. And there are consequences to all of our choices. Sometimes those consequences are worth it, sometimes not.

As for whether or not it gets easier I can only say that it has for me. The healthier I became the less appealing junk seemed. Even now if I overeat it is more than likely going to be something healthy. I have much higher standards for what is "good" these days. If I indulge in food it is going to be something really decadant - for the same about of calories I'd rather have a few small bites of the cake Glory mentioned than an entire Snickers bar.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:34 AM   #6  
I will not fail!

S/C/G: 282/272/180

Height: 5' 10"

Hmmm...for me if I want something bad enough I think of a healthy way to make it myself. In fact I was craving nachos 2 weeks ago. I cooked 2 chicken breats with some taco seasoning. I got those Light Tostinos chips. They have less calories then the baked. Then I got a can of black beans, light cheese, olives, onions, jalopenos, and fat free sour cream. My kids and my husband even loved them. They where sooo good. I know that it still wasnt the best thing that I could of eaten but when I crave something I have to have it. So far doing this has worked for me and it's alot more healthy then going to a restaurant and ordering nachos. That's for sure! : )
Jtjoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:42 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Lucky nailed it for me -- choices and consequences. That's how I've come to think of the food! Usually the consequences aren't worth it, but I let myself choose if they are or not.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:41 AM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I went the Glory87 route. I just ended my affair with unhealthy food. I gave it all up. No more Sonic. No more Chipolte. No more plates of nachos at the Hornet. Not even diet soda. If I couldn't control how much of something I ate, then I couldn't have it at all. It's not a punishment, but a choice I made to do better by myself. Then it ceased to be a huge part of my life. If it wasn't going to help me lose weight, I didn't eat it. I really think if you are motivated enough, you can phase it out. I didn't miss it after a while. I'm familiar enough with the feeling of regret or the upset stomach that comes with unhealthy eating that I pick and choose when I do it. I can spot a tigger point from a mile away. I don't go out to eat with friends and come home shocked and horrified over how I ate. I plan for and around it. I still can't "keep" crap food in my house. I can't bring home leftovers. I can't eat out very often. It's the choice I made to be happy and healthy in my own skin. I've decided my time and place for having my treats.

I do have a rant about this issue, though:

My boyfriend's sister is visiting now and when her and her brother get together, they eat horribly. I think it's just habit for them as they associate eating bad with eachother. She brought DONUTS and ICE CREAM into my home. And chips. And soda. I just had to tell her that I'm not at a point where that stuff can be in my home. I feel like I'm being invaded by snack cakes! Ok I'm done.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:56 AM   #9  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87
I know I had a radical approach that few people take but I just said "no" to all junk.
Exactly what I am doing! The craving even goes away pretty much if you stick with it for a while. I eat PLENTY of healthful foods... just not one bite of junk. It works!!

The junk is not WORTH it... I don't want it badly enough to take the consequences of what it does to me! There is nothing on my "can't have" list as this is a lifestyle change for me; however, I choose whether it is worth it... and the answer is NO. Not to say I will never choose to have something that isn't healthful... but I would really have to want it badly for it to be worth the consequences!

But I would add... Mta... just THINKING about it is no problem... you didn't EAT it and that is what matters. Life will always be full of temptations. Learning to take control and say NO is important!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:19 AM   #10  

The whole idea of the Core plan or the flex plan for that matter is to build a diet around the foods that are not only healthy, but that you love. Heck if you love nacho's, eat some nacho's (moderately) and count your flex points. You should be able to eat the way you plan to eat for the rest of your life if you don't want to gain the weight back. Don't beat yourself up because you thought of nacho's. After being on the WW plan for a long time you will stop thinking nacho's so much and thinking, hummm I would love to have some stir fry or some other healthy foods..good luck...never go back...
wv_lady_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:10 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41
I went the Glory87 route. I just ended my affair with unhealthy food. I gave it all up. No more Sonic. No more Chipolte.
Oh, I still love Chipotle! It's one of the few places where I know I can get a healthy, great-tasting meal. I get a veggie bol (skipping the tortilla is key, that thing has 300 calories by itself!), half the rice, black beans, double the pico de gallo (mild salsa), scoop of hot red salsa, tons of romaine and a half order of guacomole on the side. Sodium is a little high but it's less than 400 calories (even less if I skip the guac). It's delicious and I eat it about once a week!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:29 AM   #12  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

All changes take time. To think that you will change years of thought patterns in a few weeks is asking for a lot more than most of us are capable for. I don't think the problem is in having the thoughts - that is only natural since that is the way you have been thinking for years. It's kind of like turning off autopilot when you are driving somewhere different then normal. When my office moved last year it took me awhile before I didn't have to consciously remind myself which exit to get off on the highway. In many ways we are creatures of habit, and those habits can be both helpful and harmful.

The important thing is to think and be able to stop and not just act on something. For me, the really scary thing was when I was half the way through the plate of nachos (even when I didn't really want them) and wondering how I got there. I hadn't remembered thinking about it at all. You had the thought, but you checked yourself and you made a better choice. That is what this is about - making better choices each time we are presented with one.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:50 AM   #13  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

You know, it was a long time before I could wander into a Chipotle without feeling dreadful, but I actually had one of those about a month ago. Seriously, 400 calories? I had no idea!!!!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:52 AM   #14  
I've had a rough week...

S/C/G: 245/234.5/230

Thank you everyone!

As always, you have inspired me to stay on track and not detuor too badly. I had the nachos, but I only had 1/2 the order rather than the order and 2 tacos that I used to have! (So in itself was a small victory!)

I know I ask a lot of questions and start a lot of posts, but I told myself that I am doing it this time, I am changing my life. And this happens to be a wonderful resource So you all will have to put up with me awhile longer!
MtaTJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:08 PM   #15  
Girl Trying

S/C/G: 5'4" CW: Unknwn 140? STGW: 125

Mta I feel the same way - I post too much... but I really hang on to this site to help me stay connected to my plan throughout the day. It keeps me from hiding from the reality of my duty, and the advice and support keeps me from giving up.
PeeB is offline   Reply With Quote