Old 04-12-2006, 02:35 PM   #1  
Losin' it forever!

Default What's the lowdown on bread?

I am not following any kind of no-carb diet, so where is the line drawn for bread? I don't eat alot of it, though I do love it, and what I do eat if I have a piece of toast is the Pepridge Farm Oatmeal bread. Is this better than most or am I barking up the wrong breadtree altogether?
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 260/249/160

Height: 5'6"

I also don't do low carb, but I do try to keep my protein high and not go overboard with carbs. The best bread I've found is the Weight Watchers bread that comes in at 90 calories, 17g of carbs, and 5g of protein per two slices, allowing me to have a really great, filling, 150 calories sandwich (if I load it with lean meats, veggies, and a kraft fat-free single). It's thinner than most bread, and it's nothing fancy, but it's pretty good and about 60-100 calories less (per two slices) than other breads I've seen.
Kashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:08 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

I don't believe that bread is "bad" (after all, over the centuries man has subsisted on some sort of bread and it's a staple of many diets in many different forms (tortillas, lavosh, 'johnny cake', matzoh and so on).

It's all a matter of portion control...if you can limit your intake to a slice or two and count it into your daily calorie intake for a day - then go for it! Given that - make sure you read labels and get the healthiest bread you can find - just because the label says "wheat" doesn't mean it's better than the white next to it...KWIM?

I don't care for the 'light' breads - they taste like air to me.

I'm not familiar with Pepperidge Farm bread (not sold in my area - we do have their cookies, crackers, etc) but I would check the label, definitely. Try and find a bread with high fiber, low sugar that still tastes good - I live in Foodie Central (SF Bay Area) and I think we have some of the best bread around (she said modestly). I couldn't imagine TOTALLY removing it from my diet - but I don't keep it around the house as a staple 'cos I'm one of those "it's the whole loaf or nothin'" people However if I'm at a good restaurant or at a special dinner and there's some good bread - I'll indulge! Like I said, it's all portion control and moderation...
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:06 PM   #4  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeGirl
I am not following any kind of no-carb diet, so where is the line drawn for bread? I don't eat alot of it, though I do love it, and what I do eat if I have a piece of toast is the Pepridge Farm Oatmeal bread. Is this better than most or am I barking up the wrong breadtree altogether?
Oh that oatmeal bread is heavenly! Another favorite of mine is the Baker's Inn Honey Whole Wheat. Always soft with just the right touch of sweetness.

Like others said, moderation is the key. If you want bread, eat it. Just don't eat a whole loaf in one day
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:18 PM   #5  
Cowboy Up Chick

I'll ditto MrsJim's sentiments. Bread is not bad and normally I do not like the lowcal/lowcarb breads however I do like the Sara Lee Delightful breads (don't have any in the house right now as we just moved in our first owned home and I haven't shopped yet) but it is similiar in stats to the W/W breads. But normally I'll buy regular WHOLE GRAIN breads (tasty and good for you).

On average (and this varies from person to person) your carbs should be about 40% of your total caloric intake (some will be higher and some will be lower depending on each individual) and the majority of your carbs should be from whole grains vs simple (white bread, pasta, flour, etc) or refined carbs.
Kelly_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:15 AM   #6  

I don't eat any bread that has high fructose corn syrup in it.
flipafart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_S
On average (and this varies from person to person) your carbs should be about 40% of your total caloric intake (some will be higher and some will be lower depending on each individual) and the majority of your carbs should be from whole grains vs simple (white bread, pasta, flour, etc) or refined carbs.

I know you said this varies, but the numbers I have seen for recommended % of carbs (I think from the FDA) is much higher -- more like 50-60% (with 20-30% from fat). Wouldn't it
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:24 AM   #8  
Cowboy Up Chick

wyllen, This is what is put out by the RD and Nutritional classes I've taken. I need to take an update one for my degree (still working on it) but it does vary a bit up and down by individual because of what keeps a person satisified. That is all I was putting out.
Kelly_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:48 PM   #9  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipafart
I don't eat any bread that has high fructose corn syrup in it.
I have yet to see ANY commercially made bread without the corn syrup.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 02:17 PM   #10  

I love bread, but have had to really change my approach to it. I only eat it with other stuff now (this is the girl who could eat a vienna loaf whole!) So either an open sandwich or with soup etc. If I start eating toast, or just with some butter, it becomes a trigger food for me.

I try to eat the best bread I can get, and tend to buy it at our local farmers market once a month.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:11 PM   #11  
Working My Way Back Down

I love whole grain breads, the heavier the better. However, my DH cannot digest these well, so we always have some less-fiber stuff around for him. I just buy both and divide the loaves in 1/2s or 1/3s and freeze what we won't eat in a few days.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:03 AM   #12  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
I have yet to see ANY commercially made bread without the corn syrup.
Ezekiel Bread for Life has no sweeteners in it. Just good grains. You can find it in the freezer section at many stores.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:22 PM   #13