Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-05-2006, 01:43 PM   #1  
Work it out.

Angry A question about Milk

I think I may be Lactose Intolerant. I started drinking fat free milk and it makes me sick. I'm always in the bathroom. I think I'm a go back to whole milk, I don't want the whole milk to effect my diet though, but the fat free milk makes me sick. Its watery and nasty. I miss whole milk, it never made me sick like this. The fat free milk is so hard to digest, and I don’t want it to effect my body. I'm thinking about drinking 2% milk but I'm a afraid it might make me sick too. Has this ever happened to anyone? Also do you think whole milk will effect my diet? Hey I need calcium and protein. What do you guys think?
motivation86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #2  
25 pounds down

S/C/G: 210/185/127

Smile Milk or soy

Yes, I think you should continue to look for milk that you and use on ur diet. I have been drinking Soy Milk I found it works well for me, but there's so may different Soy milks out there. Yes, I agree some soy milks r gross! But u would to try different one's to see what work for you. Good luck
P.s. I found my soy milk @ trader joes!
gigi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:38 PM   #3  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Whole milk, of course, has a lot more fat in it. So in terms of whether or not it will affect you losing weight, that all depends on if you compensate for that higher fat level by eating less of other foods with fat, or if you just consume more fat. If you build it into whatever your plan is, then it shouldn't be a problem. And I would say, you might as well give 2% or 1% a try... and if you don't like it then at least you'll know that.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:44 PM   #4  
Slow and Steady

I suggest giving a lactose free milk a try. I have been lactose intolerant all of my life and just recently started buying "Land O Lakes Dairy Ease" in the milk section right next to the regular milk. I am so happy that I can now eat cereal with milk in it and not have all the nasty side effects. It is 100% real milk and tastes exactly the same. For some reason it has a really long expiration date so it lasts a long while since I'm the only one drinking it in my family. I still buy regular milk for my family since it costs less.

Also, if you don't like skim milk how about "bumping up" a percentage until you find a milk you like... for example, try 1/2 % milk. If you don't like that try 1% (not sure if they even make this) and then 2%. Hopefully you'll find something you like before having to go all the way up to whole milk.

Good luck!
Quirky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:22 PM   #5  

Since I was pregnant with my son I could not tolerate whole milk so I started buying, Dairy ease, and Lactaid milk, both are lactose free and taste the same as regular milk to me, once I had my son we found out that he was lactose intollerant, so once we moved to whole milk from formula we started buying 2%, or fat free Lactaid milk both have the same great tast as if you were drinking 2%, or fat free regular milk. I hope this helps.
kornard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Fat free soy for me, but I don't use much milk. I take a calcium supplement too.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:37 PM   #7  
DIVA

You are not lactose intolerant because you are able to drink whole milk. Your body is not responding to the fat free milk. I get sick if I drink whole milk because I only drink 2% so it just depends.

Try 2% - it is no where near as bad as fat free milk. If not, go back to whole milk and just make sure you incorporate it into your diet plan.
Curves4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I agree that you are not lactose intolerant-or you would not be able to drink whole milk, either. If you do not like skim, then try 1% (Yes-they do make this, for the person who asked...) which is what my family drinks. They like whole and 2%, and I prefer skim, so this is the "happy medium" for us all.

My dairy aversion is quite different than yours...I cannot drink whole or 2% because it is the "creamy thick" part I don't like...I can only get it down if it is watery and doesn't leave the creaminess in my mouth. ICK.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:05 PM   #9  

You can also get dairy calcium and protein from lowfat yogurt and cheese. It is not necessary to force yourself to drink milk if you do not like it.
1TiredGradStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:52 PM   #10  
Beth

S/C/G: 200/147/130

You will find that other foods have more calcuim then milk and you can get way more protein from other foods. I do not drink milk at all or soy and I get plenty otherwise.
azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:30 PM   #11  
Strong on the inside

S/C/G: 197/197/145 HW: 233

Height: 5'4"

Ar our grocery stores here, they have something called 2% supreme, which has the calories and fat of regular 2%, but something added so that it tastes more like whole milk, if you're missing the taste of whole milk.
aerotigergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:49 PM   #12  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Quote:
Originally Posted by azul
You will find that other foods have more calcuim then milk and you can get way more protein from other foods. I do not drink milk at all or soy and I get plenty otherwise.
I absolutely agree. Many other foods not only have more calcium, but I believe the body can actually absorb calcium better from sources other than milk. Although I don't believe most Americans regularly eat enough of these foods. So in that case I'm not suggesting anyone not drink milk.

Oh, I do drink soy milk.. but not every day. Most of the time, I don't even have it on hand.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:01 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde
I absolutely agree. Many other foods not only have more calcium, but I believe the body can actually absorb calcium better from sources other than milk. Although I don't believe most Americans regularly eat enough of these foods. So in that case I'm not suggesting anyone not drink milk.

Oh, I do drink soy milk.. but not every day. Most of the time, I don't even have it on hand.

Actually, the amount of calcium the body absorbs from soy milk is significantly less than the amount absorbed from cow's milk. 60% more calcium is needed in soy beverages for the soy to be comparable to cow's milk. Here is a link to an article published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition that talks about this very topic:

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/71/5/1166
1TiredGradStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:43 AM   #14  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Do you realize that humans are the only mammals that continue to drink milk out of their infancy? I don't think milk is essential at all for a healthy diet. We've grown up having it pounded into our heads that we have to drink milk to be healthy when cow's milk was only ever intended by Nature for baby cows. Granted, I'm lactose intolerant and have been since birth. I was on soy formula as a baby and don't believe I've ever had much milk since then. I can't eat it on breakfast cereals, or have too much cheese or ice cream without getting really sick. I suppose this shapes my perceptions of the necessity of milk in a healthy diet. I think someone mentioned above that people (Americans, mostly) don't eat enough of other foods containing calcium like greens (mustard greens, turnip greens, collard greens, spinach), broccoli, canned salmon, beans, figs, almonds and peas. Heck, even sesame seeds have some calcium in them!

Okay, I know I've strayed from the original topic. I'm sorry! I agree with the suggestions above, to go up a percent at a time to see if you can find a milk you're satisfied with. My sister's fridge always has 3 different kinds - skim milk for her, whole milk for her daughter who is under 2 and 2% for her daughter over 2. I guess her husband just takes his pick!
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:59 AM   #15  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TiredGradStudent
Actually, the amount of calcium the body absorbs from soy milk is significantly less than the amount absorbed from cow's milk. 60% more calcium is needed in soy beverages for the soy to be comparable to cow's milk. Here is a link to an article published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition that talks about this very topic:

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/71/5/1166
I was not referring to the body's ability to absorb the calcium from soy milk. I was referring to so many other foods (many which I see listed in the post just before this) that are rich in calcium that we should be eating in abudance anyway.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote