Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-30-2006, 09:59 AM   #1  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Default Packed lunch ideas!

Right.

I've decided.

I'm totally LIVING clean eating for the next 4 or 5 weeks. I need ideas for a packed lunch...

So far I have:
apples
cheddar sticks
almonds and raisins
cottage cheese mixed with raisins and oats
carrot sticks
protein flapjack
cold cottage cheese pancake

Anything else that I can take with me in a bag that doesn't need too much refrigeration and is fairly discrete to eat on the move, or sitting on a park bench. So no stuff I need to heat up, or stuff with dips... Finger food basically!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:10 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

How about hummus? Hummus and sweet bell peppers is one of my favorite snacks.

Hard boiled eggs?
Cooked egg whites and salsa in a whole wheat wrap/tortilla?
Chicken breast and veggie in whole wheat wrap?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:48 AM   #3  
aka Superwoman!

The wholewheat wraps are out - no wholewheat tortillas over the pond here!

I'd forgotten about hard boiled eggs - perhaps if I hold my nose, otherwise the thought makes me barf! They don't taste bad though, just the thought!!
Old 03-30-2006, 11:14 AM   #4  
Just Me

I love hard boiled eggs. Too bad about the whole wheat wraps, I'm amazed at the variety of whole grain products available these days over here. Of course in general they are $$$ but they are available. I generally buy a loaf of bread every week but it takes me about 30 minutes of label reading to pick one.

How about a lettuce wrap then? Lettuce wrapped around veggies and lean meat sounds good to me

I also like my version of the waldorf salad which is lettuce, chopped celery, chopped apple, chopped walnuts, raisins and 1 tbsp of nonfat plain yogurt. Mix it up really good and it is a crunchy/sweet salad.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:49 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

2f -- I put my foot down this morning too, and was going to start a personal challenge, afterall I had to wear my shorts today and I would have liked to have been a little slimmer ...

I usually eat leftovers from the night before, so I'm no help there am I ? But I think I would like some cold chicken with lots of crunchy veggies like brocolli, cauliflower, celery, if I had to do the cold meal thing...I love hard boiled eggwhites too but I can eat about 6 eggs if I only eat the whites...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 02:59 AM   #6  
aka Superwoman!

*SHUDDER* I am going to buy shorts tomorrow... So yes, this is a shorts thing and a wedding dress thing and a determination thing!

I seem to be all revved up this week - I think it's because the clocks went forward and the nights are lighter. Hooray!
Old 03-31-2006, 06:03 AM   #7  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Some excellent suggestions so far. Mine may overlap a bit.

Other nuts: walnuts, hazelnuts, cashews, brazil nuts (all in moderation)
Other dried fruit: unsulphured apricots (i.e., not the bright orange ones), figs, dates (all in moderation)
Seeds: pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds (... yes, that's right, not too many).

My failsafe snack for trains is a small mixture of the above.

Veg: carrots, celery, sugar snap or mangetout peas, runner beans, small tomatoes, bag of salad, cauliflower florets.

Small drained tin of fish: mackerel, sardines, tuna, salmon (possibly put into another container. I use Lock 'n' Lock as they don't leak.)

That's all for now. Yum, yum.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:06 AM   #8  
Just Me

Silver has a lot of good ideas. I used to love eating grape tomatoes as a snack, I don't do it so often anymore.

Personally, I couldn't do any canned fish. I used to do canned albacore tuna when I would mix it with nonfat yogurt, mustard and dill relish. It was pretty good.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:27 AM   #9  

Hi 2F,

Speaking from the land of packed lunches...everyone here packs a lunch. The dutch take their lunch from home, as everything in the canteen is wildly overpriced and either fried or with mayonaise.

So.. packed lunch, would a wholewheat sandwich with old cheese do ???
Or a wholewheat sandwidch with cold meat & tomato?
And an apple or an orange for afters??

I find whole wheat sandwiches quite filling. And I make them without butter or mayonaise: I just put the cheese or meat and vegs between 2 slices of dark wholewheat bread. So that is also not much work in the morning.

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:33 AM   #10  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rabbit
would a wholewheat sandwich with old cheese do ???
Rabbit, you dear! Not sure if something's been lost in translation here ... Old cheese sounds like stale cheese or mouldy cheese to me but I know you're not really suggesting anything horrible.

I know the Netherlands is one of the lands of cheese. Please will you tell us more?

Last edited by silverbirch; 03-31-2006 at 02:39 PM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:00 PM   #11