Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-13-2006, 09:52 AM   #1  
Getting healthy for her!

S/C/G: 320/274/150

Default new to weights & need advice

I recently (past few wks) added free weights into my exercise regime. I do a series of exercises w/ 4 lb dumbbells. I started out with 1 set (12 reps) of each exercise. I now feel like I can start doing 2 sets of each exercise. Here is my question... Do I do one set of a certain exercise then do the 2nd set or do I do one set of the whole routine then a second set of the whole routine? I just wasn't sure how that worked. Once I can do 2-3 sets comfortabley, I probably up the weights.
Thanks in advance for your answers!
healthy_wanna_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

You do the sets together, with maybe another activity in between to give your muscles rest time. I think this is called a superset, but I may have just made that up. For example,

I will do 12 bicep curls, then do 12 tricep pressdowns while my biceps rest. To me, that's better than standing around idle for a minute during my rest. Then I'll do 12 bicurls, 12 tripress, back to 12 bicurls, 12 tripress, and I am done with arms. I stagger all my moves this way. It keeps me moving and gets me done faster. You could do the same if you work one arm/leg at a time. I do cable leg extensions and will alternate right/left/right/left/right/left in succession then move on to something else. You can probably move on beyond 4 lbs if you've been lifting that cute baby!! Move on up to 5, maybe 8. You should reach muscle exhaustion near the end of each set (one set of 12). So by rep 10-11 of each set it should be really hard, thus needing the rest break.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote