Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-07-2006, 09:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default Is Doubt the Enemy?

I'm having another overwhelming bee in my bonnet again this morning. Some of you know that I'm a 3fc addict. I get up in the morning and click new posts. There is hardly a post on here that I don't skim through or read. So this morning as I was reading, I saw an on going notion of 'doubt'.
I doubt that I can do what you do.
I doubt that I can figure this all out.
I doubt that I can find time to exercise.
I doubt that I can stomach some of the things you all eat.
I doubt this will work for me.
I doubt that I will be able to follow thru with my plan.
I doubt it's worth it because I'll always have a big butt.

Is doubt the 'big' sin?
What did/do you doubt?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:01 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I used to doubt I could get through a day without bread when I first read a south beach diet book a year ago. I used to think that low carb was the only way. Now I can go a week without bread, but I'd just rather not...

I doubt that I would ever learn to love cottage cheese, but the other day I had a craving for it

I doubt I will ever have supermodel legs, but I doubt that I will really care as long as they kick people

Perhaps I have a nagging doubt in my head. I doubt that I really WILL ever get to goal... Maybe that's what's holding me back. I need to believe. Clap your hands if you believe in fairies
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:02 AM   #3  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

It seems to me, for those of us who have to work at weight management (as opposed to those who are naturally. genetically slender), mental attitude is very much a part of the puzzle. I'm trying to replace "I doubt" with "I hope" or "I'm trying".

I hope I can do what you've done.
I hope I can figure this all out (I'm learning somehting new every day!).
I'm trying to make time to exercise (and so far, I'm succeeding!).
Etc.

I'm trying right now to replace some of my less constructive habits (tendancy toward couch-potato, for example) with more constructive ones (more physical activity). And that includes re-thinking some of the thought process involved. So much to wrap one's arms around, but I'm taking it one step at a time.

Hehe I think I, too, am becoming a 3FC addict! I love it here!
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:06 AM   #4  
Working on Hot!

S/C/G: 242/225/175

Susan you got me to thinking again......

My doudt has got me to change my April 1st goal......Now I am not so sure if I should have done it....hmmmmm
la3y_un1c0rn_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:07 AM   #5  
stbakd

why do you have doubt because you have done well so far. when you have a bad day start over again. other you wont make it. good luck glen
ps make time for you, because no one will do it for you.
hefty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:17 AM   #6  

Glen made an excellent point! It's never finished. There's always tomorrow. If you jump in your car and head to Florida ... does it really matter how many times you take a wrong turn? stop to 'rest' etc.? You'll still get to Florida, right? The only way you won't, is if you abandon the journey altogether.

BTW ... my biggest doubt is that I'll actually be able to stay at goal. I've quite effectively screwed it up a couple times now!
Old 03-07-2006, 10:30 AM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

My biggest doubt is that I will ever be socially acceptably thin. I have NEVER been thin, and I think not being able to picture myself thin is a major hindrance. When I look in the mirror, I can only see fat, and I'm afraid that's all I will ever see since I've never known any different.

Now, before I get all the responses about how it doesn't matter what society thinks or what others think of me and yadda yadda yadda, I can honestly say that I am NOT doing this just for my health. I have never had a weight-related health problem, so that's not really a motivator for me (yes, I know I can still develop weight-related problems in the future, but right now, that is not my primary concern). I don't want to sound completely shallow or superficial, but having lived my entire life as "the fat kid" really has made me care about how I look to others (no matter what a great person I know I am inside!).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:32 AM   #8  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
My biggest doubt is that I will ever be socially acceptably thin.
Ditto here. It's very hard for me to believe that I will ever get there. But at least this process is helping me keep the hope alive.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:37 AM   #9  

Oh Jilly! No matter what altruistic blah we all speak here, there is at least some component of vanity in this for most of us. It's nice to have people envy your figure, it's nice to buy cute little clothing ....

Think of it as an adventure. I had no idea what I looked like under those 30 or 40 lbs. You're unwrapping a mysterious gift. Oooo let's see what's under there!
Old 03-07-2006, 10:37 AM   #10  
aka Superwoman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresurferchick
Ditto here. It's very hard for me to believe that I will ever get there. But at least this process is helping me keep the hope alive.
I used to doubt that too... Check out the "weekend pictures" thread in UK chicks.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:46 AM   #11  
Aleecia

I feel your pain jillybean.
I too have never had any medical problems due to my weight so that has not been a motivating factor.
I too wonder how people will treat me once the weight is gone. My hubby gets so frustrated because I always worry that people are judging me by the way that I look. Maybe their not, but thats how I feel.
I know longer want to be the fat mom,the fat wife, the fat friend, daughter, coworker, etc.
Regardless of the fact that everyone tells me that they look beyond my weight, I often wonder if thats the truth.
I look forward to the confidence that I will gain and how my relationships will change.
Thanks for sharing. You're not in this alone.

Leec
Angel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:03 AM   #12  

I doubt that I can keep this up forever
I doubt that I can run 10k without making a complete fool of myself
I doubt that I can get to a "reasonable weight" i.e. not be obese anymore

But I know I can cast doubt aside, and "just do it", the "fake it til you make it" strategy has worked thus far!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:06 AM   #13  
aka Superwoman!

Kykaree, I'm doubting my 10K performance too... But as long as it's my best shot then I'm more than happy with it!

I doubt anyone can keep this up forever... Will I still be eating porridge with an egg for lunch when I'm 75? No probably not. Routines change and you'll find it easier to fit into your lifestyle.

Just do it, really is the greatest slogan!
Old 03-07-2006, 11:11 AM   #14  
Aleecia

Great analogy Susan. I never thought of myself as a gift waiting to be unwrapped.
It's final because my goal is to hit my goal weight by Christmas of this year.
I can't wait to get that present.

thanks
Leec
Angel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:31 AM   #15  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

I doubt that losing weight will really make me feel better about myself. I think it's like when you are single and you think "if only I had a boyfriend" and you think(hope) that suddenly you will be much more confident, feel loved, and every void of your life will be filled by one man. Ha! Than you wake up and remember you have to love yourself first. I think I'm already starting to feel prettier and in some ways more confident, but in other ways that just shines a brighter light and aspects of myself that I don't love. Obviously being technically "thinner" isn't going to make everything better for me, but I'm just hoping I can lose a little doubt in myself and not let all my hard work go to waste just because I'm not perfect.
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote