Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-14-2006, 12:41 PM   #1  

Default When did you start to see results???

I have lots of weight to lose, approximately 70 lbs. I've lost 17 lbs my family claims they can see it, but I don't. My clothes do feel loser. I understand starting at 260 lbs and losing just 17 lbs you can't expect to see results...But when did you all start seeing results and at what weight were you when you started your weightloss journey????

chiarij
chiarij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:12 PM   #2  

I was two pounds heavier than you when I started. I got my first comments at 20lbs, I had started weight training when I had lost about 10. My shoulders and face were the first things that attracted comments, but I had lost the most inches from my thighs and waist, go figure! At one stage my arms got bigger, and everyone was saying how slim they looked!!!

Now at over 60lbs gone I get comments everyday from people!!! It's very nice, and very motivating
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:04 PM   #3  
FiferJanis

S/C/G: 237.5/237.5/175

Height: 5'10"

Default When did you start seeing results?

Your clothes and a tape-measure are your best indication. Since you see yourself every day, it's hard to see any difference. Same with other people who see you on a regular basis, or family, who've seen you at a variety of weights, and you only see every so often.

Also, the heavier you are, the harder it is for people to see a big change until you get closer to your goal. Seeing as you started at 260 and are now down to 244 or so, I'd say give it another 10-15 lbs. When I used to weigh 250 (7 years ago), nobody started making comments until I was down to about 210. :-P Really, you can't rely on other people, because even if they do notice, they might not say anything, because (being larger) they assume we're self-conscious about our weight, and don't want to draw attention to it (good or bad). I did get all the way down to 175, which was great, and while nobody really commented on how much I'd lost, signs indicated I looked good whether people knew I lost anything or not! ;-)

Alas, after keeping it off for 5 years, I moved, couldn't find a gym I liked, got a job that keeps me chained to the desk, finished one degree and started on another. I know, excuses, but it was enough of a time/convenience factor that I let a lot of it come back. *sigh*

This time around, I notice changes (in myself) because I have a memory of skinny-me to compare it to. The most noticeable is that I've got horizontal lines across my belly where I've lost fat, but the skin's stretched out - ew! Owell... it'll catch up... but this is another motivational reason to keep it off once you get to your goal. Once I had made my goal-weight, I still looked kinda "pudgy" to myself. I didn't really start looking fit/skinny (to me) until a year or so after, because by then, all the skin had stretched back, I had some color, because I was doing a lot more outdoor activities, hiking, swimming, etc., I looked healthy and fit, I'd replaced my wardrobe with smaller, non-baggy (& more flattering) clothes, and I wasn't used to looking for the flaws any more, because I was at a good weight.

So... I guess the lesson is, keep it up, and you'll see changes, and so will everyone else! And once you get there, keep it up and keep it off!

--Janis
busker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

well, i started at 196 and am down 15 pounds. that's probably where i started noticing a little change. I finally put on this pair of jeans i had quit wearing to work on fridays because half way thru the day, i felt like they were cutting me in half. i put them on the other week out of desperation, and was amazed they fit better. i still got one inch to loose in the waist to not have to put them together, but by the end of lunch and the end of the day, i barely notice that i have a waistband on around my waist....if that makes any sense.

also, people at work tell me they can see a difference in me. like in my face, but like you, i don't really see it and i wonder if they mean it or if they are just saying it because they see me out there every day at lunch walking. but i did get a compliment from one of our resident health nuts at work that i had a crush on last year. he told me there were alot more people inside who should be out side with me walking and that i should be an inspiration to them to get on the band wagon. I was totally flattered. just wait until all those people see what a great job i have done losing the weight and they didn't come outside with me. won't they be jeolous???!!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:05 PM   #5  
FiferJanis

S/C/G: 237.5/237.5/175

Height: 5'10"

Default Walking

Absolutely! People at my last job used to joke because I'd go out with everyone else when they were going for a smoking break - but my intent was to do 3 laps (walking) around the perimeter of the parking lot! Of course all the smokers said they were out there for their "health" too, and felt lighter just watching me. It didn't bother me any - I was doing what I had to do. I did encourage a couple of co-workers to join me, but I doubt they've kept it up.

Here (at my present job) you see people out there all the time doing the loop around the complex. Lots of joggers at lunch-time, too. They even have a walking "club" that meets at lunch-time and has the tie-corridors connecting all the buildings mapped out so they've got a 1.5-mile loop for when you don't want to go outside.

--Janis
busker is offline   Reply With Quote