Old 02-09-2006, 04:29 PM   #1  
Susan hockeyfan7

Default Not Hungry and Don't Want to Eat

Yikes - it's back! I stopped doing Atkins a while ago and switched to another plan because I was at the point where I was never hungry and didn't want to eat. This time, it's only taken 2 weeks to get there. I have to force myself to eat. I can do breakfast and about 1/2 of lunch, but dinner? Forget it.

Today, I ate a Pure Protein bar on the way to the gym. I burned off about 600 calories at the gym, so that should be gone!

I had an egg scrambled with mushrooms, tomato, onion, spinach and peppers with 2 slices of bacon for breakfast.

When it came time for lunch, I had 1/2 of my stir fry chicken and veggies and now I'm stuffed and I don't want see food again.

I had the same problem yesterday. I had a scrambled egg with sausage and veggies for breakfast. Then I was only able to eat about 6 small pieces of lamb for lunch and one slice of pork roast for dinner.

This happened to me last time. I'd eat breakfast and then I wouldn't want to see food for the rest of the day.

Anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions? I count calories with the program by logging my food intake into a site that counts them for me and I'm only getting about 800-1000 a day before exercise. Not enough.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #2  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Susan, I have this problem too. What I do is add more calories someplace. Sometimes its the mayo in the devilled eggs, or extra bacon on the ceasar salad. Sometimes the little things add up for you. Give it a try. I get stuck in the 800-1000 range too, but usually only for about 2-3 weeks...then I get major cravings, and binge. Its hard to keep the calories up, but do your best.

Do you use protein shakes? sometimes I'll have one in the evening if I havent reached 1000 calories yet, that will bring me up another 110 extra. I use optimum nutrition, its only 2 carbs per serving and 110 calories. Just another thought anyway.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #3  

are you SURE that's a problem? Maybe you should make your breakfast and lunch smaller so you can eat dinner? Let's see what some of the experts here say.
ebplus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 05:00 PM   #4  
Lovin' Life

yup, it can be a huge problem, because her body could go into starvation mode, and no matter what she does, her body is going to hang onto everything its got. Even if she ups her calories 2-3x a week, that will keep her out of starvation mode.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:19 PM   #5  
TemporaryFatChick

NIRVANA!! OK, not for you *sigh*

I'd add calories - bacon, mayo, cream, beef, butter, a chunk of cream cheese wrapped in a slice of ham before you work out, maybe something sweet to stimulate your appetite?
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 05:26 PM   #6  

can someone explain to me what the deal is with eating all this fat? I just had chicken and veggies in homemade alfredo sauce and, although it was super yummy, I feel like a total glutton eating that much fat!
ebplus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:04 PM   #7  
Susan hockeyfan7

From the Atkins Web site:

Fats help with absorption of soluble nutrients such as vitamins A, D, E and K.

Fat contributes to a wide variety of metabolic functions in the body, affecting vital processes such as hormone production and cell membrane integrity.

Fat consumption produces a steady source of energy, and eating fats prevents people from quickly becoming hungry again.

There's also something about the fact that fat is not stored in your body for use as fuel later whereas carbs and protein are -- I remember reading about this in the book.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:09 PM   #8  
Lovin' Life

and in reality....how much fat are you eating now compared to before. I know for me, even eating the Atkins way, has me eating considerably less fat than before.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:35 PM   #9  
No Excuses/No Whining!

S/C/G: 333/263/185

Height: 5'7"

I have reached this point already! I truly am NOT hungry.. im ravenous for breakfast.. but after like two scrambled eggs with some cheese im DONE. I had to force myself to eat my lunch.. salad et tuna.. i havent eaten again at all.. and i dont want to. i mean, i know i need to.. but is it okay to just not for a day and see if tommorrow i want to.. finishing my salad at lunch was hard enough.. ive drank about 90 ounces of water today.. i dont want to toss myself into starvation..

Mommie
supernurse_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:56 PM   #10  

You are not alone. I have had that problem. Sounds crazy to most people. The last couple of days however I have really pushed myself in my exercise program - I got real hungry. Then I felt guilty about eating. For example, today I worked out at my highest level yet. I went to a Mexican restaurant to give myself a treat - only a shredded chicken taco (on corn tortilla, monterrey jack, letturce). I couldn't eat the tortilla and couldn't even eat half of the chicken. I did eat all the cheese tho'.

It is like I can't believe that if I don't eat, I won't lose weight. Look at anorexics - they dont eat and they get skinny. why can't I?
surfdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:04 PM   #11  
Going to ONEderland

It sure seems backward. I think that is what has been happening to me too. I'm not that hungry so don't eat and then don't lose. I was hungry today though! I'm hoping that means I'm about to drop some weight!
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:51 PM   #12  
Wendy

Iam so glad someone started this thread. I am having the exact same problem. And I noticed I was starting to tend toward the low fat end of the low carb also. Today I made myself eat fat even though it wasn't what I wanted ( I wanted a salad with turkey, I got a philly no bun and a salad and I beefed up the salad with egg, blue cheese, cheddar and bacon and ranch dressing). But haven't been hungry since. I guess I will make myself eat now....I thought it was because protein makes you less hungry than carbs so I just thought I was doing good.... Dont want to sabotage any thing it is TOM and I don't want to gain either....
coffeeaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:36 PM   #13  
Susan hockeyfan7

Well at least I'm not alone -- I thought maybe I was nuts -- well, I probably am, but that's another story (hee hee).

I couldn't even eat dinner last night - ended up with some sugar free Jell-O and spray whipped cream.

I woke up this morning sick with a sore throat and a fever, so that might be part of the problem too.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:46 PM   #14  

Last night I made myself eat some rice. Only ate 1/2 c. tho'. It is yummy rice tho' - from Trader Joe's. It is chimchurri rice and very hot and spicy. 120 calories for 1/2 cup.

this morning though I had cream of rice with splenda. I made myself finish it!
surfdreams is offline   Reply With Quote