Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-05-2006, 05:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default The Allure of Gadgets

I think I want (need) a heart rate monitor.
I've read at least a hundred times about increasing my intensity. I realise that I'm flubbing my way through cardio (most times) marking time instead of effectiveness.
But I can be a bit of a collector. In the last 25 or 26 years I've had two sets of weights, dumbells, leg weights, 3 pedometers, a stop watch, a home gym, an elliptical machine, a second hand treadmill, a jump rope, a thigh master, an ab roller, a bicycle, a stationary bike, a wall calender, dozens of books and magazines ... you get the picture?
Each time, I'm pretty sure, that I thought I was buying the magic key. Ya know? The little thing that would just break through for me ... launch me into fitness easily, quickly, efficiently ...
So this time I'm not sure. Do I need this? Do I just want it in hopes that it will help me progress?

If intensity is the problem (which you can probably tell from my fitday) then it ought to be a very valuable tool? Yes?
Then there's the money. We're not rollin' in it. Can I get something helpful for 20 or 30 bucks?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 05:47 PM   #2  

A heart rate monitor will help you know if you are working hard enough to burn calories. It's a great tool. I bought Polar's basic model for about $49. Check Walgreens, Target, etc. There may be cheaper models.
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:52 PM   #3  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I thought I was walking pretty fast until I got my HRM....heh heh....let's just say I wasn't. I find it quite helpful in letting me know it's time to kick the intensity up a notch. I got my Polar A something for around 50 bucks as well. It's not magic - just another tool. The hard part is finding something you enjoy doing consistently long enough to build a habit of it.

BTW - Susan, how's that wall calendar working out for ya years later?
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:19 AM   #4  
Mel

I found mine very helpful. I'm an "anaerobic junkie". I don't think I'm working hard enough unless I'm about to have a heart attack, apparently. This isn't the best method for fat burning, although it's great training for running sprints and burning off muscle. Since getting my monitor, I've slowed down a tad and maybe am preserving more muscle.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:17 AM   #5  

Thanks folks. So a Polar???? One that just does heart rate? None of the calorie burning blah blah?

Gina? I can't get the dry erase marker off it any more

Ah Mel, you're the best. I don't think over doing it is my problem. I'd like to try that for ... oh ... maybe two days a week
Old 02-06-2006, 12:22 PM   #6  

Quote:
I can't get the dry erase marker off it any more
I found this great trick for getting marks off a dry erase board- just color over it with a dry erase marker. There is something about the fresh ink that just takes it right off every time.

BTW- I just got a HRM for X-mas, I think it is a great tool for you to rate your intensity and make sure you aren't going to hard.
fikustrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:32 PM   #7  

IMHO, the calorie count function isn't entirely worthwhile, since even a gadget (at least none that I could afford!) could correctly count it by factoring your % muscle and the type/size of muscles your activity is using...I think if you just get your HR in the right zone, the rest just takes care of yourself. ;-)

MY HRM is actually a watch, and gets the heart rate by pressing down on two buttions with two fingers, none of that chest-strap business...and in comparing it to other monitors (say, while at the gym) it's usually pretty accurate. I must confess, however, that I don't use it as much because I now have a fair idea of how hard I need to be working to get my HR into a certain range--and I'm also a gagget junkie! Also, I must say the old school method of the talk test usually is a fairly accurate indicator for me....
curvynfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:10 AM   #8  

I bought the basic Polar HRM with no extra features. I actually wear the watch most of the time, as I need one at work anyway. I found it helpful, because when I run I usually work too hard. It reminds me to slow down and avoid overtraining. I have a chest strap type, I was swimming alot as well and found it easy to just look at the watch instead of fiddling with buttons.
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:40 AM   #9  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

Default Measure heart rate

I'm a gadget addict, I always have to have the lastest and the fanciest gadgets. But it did put a strain on my wallet. If you are not sure if your workout is intense enough, just measure your heart rate the old fashioned way. Right after your workout, count your pulse for one min. It should be enough to tell you if you are working out enough.

Last edited by Miaka; 02-08-2006 at 07:36 AM.
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:54 AM   #10  

Miaka's answer is the sort of thinking I've been doing. It really is that simple. Making me wonder if I'm just after another toy.

However, I would like to be able to see if I'm sustaining a heart rate. This one that Boarderchick is talking about? Does it have a constant display that you can check as you're working?
Old 02-07-2006, 05:49 PM   #11  

Yes it does, and it has a high rate and low rate alarm so you know immediately if you're working at the wrong intensity. I was really helpful to me, because I had no body awareness as to how hard I was working. I went running with it on, and realized that my heart rate on a "slow" day was in the 180's!! Ooops. Of course you can just check your pulse, Miaka's got a point there...
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:31 PM   #12  

I like the idea of the alarm going off. And mine won't be goin' off cuz I'm tryin' too hard.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:13 PM   #13  

So I did get one. Omron HR-100c. It's a pretty decent looking watch and I have to slip on the chest strap, press a button and I've got a constant read out. I like it.
It's probably one of the first gadgets I should have gotten a long time ago.
I'm not a cardio fan and now I'm wondering if that's been because I just didn't understand it. Watching my heart rate has given me some valuable insights into intensity, effort ...
Of all the things I've aquired, this is a good one.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:18 PM   #14  
Meg

I use mine every time I do cardio - it's my favorite toy too. Can't go to the gym without the HR monitor and iPod all strapped on. What's funny is when I forget to take the strap off until I undress - then I feel like a doofus.

What's REALLY interesting is wearing it while you're lifting weights. You realize that weights are a cardio workout themselves! I went over 150 on every set of squats last leg day.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:26 PM   #15  

The first day I had the thing, I found my heart rate went higher during weights than it did during my 'so called cardio'. I'm learning new things about intesity, let me tell ya.