Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 11-08-2005, 07:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Unhappy Fast Food Addiction

Anyone else share this with me? I feel like I can't control my urge to eat out! Before I know it I'm sitting in the drive thru line at McDonalds or Burger King. I can never order healthy stuff either (except at Wendy's because I don't like their fries). One week I counted and between lunches by myself and dinners on the weekend with hubby I had eaten out 6 times! I do it even if I have healthy and tasty lunch options at home. I always feel bad afterwards (mentally, not physically, I don't have the problems other people have mentioned) but I keep doing it! I feel like it's ruining my weight loss and I don't think I'm going to reach either of my goals as I'm getting further and further behind. Anyone have suggestions or who are int he same boat?
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 07:41 PM   #2  
Opulent

Well, I have to say I am the polar opposit of you when it comes to fast food...I haven't eaten it (with the exception of Chipotle a handful of times) in *years*.

I am here to support you though! I would love to get together for a chat, for walks, exercise and healthy luncheons! I tried and tried to connect with a local member who I have LOTS in contact with but she's too busy for a new friend and exercise buddy So maybe we can help one another out!
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 07:52 PM   #3  
hara hachi bu

Default Yes!

I know exactly what you are talking about. It's inexpensive, you don't have to wait (or clean up), and it's easier than cooking for one. It's downright evil!

I fall into this trap because I am a single parent of a teenager. Any night he has activities, I am doing that instead of cooking. Our choices become cold sandwiches, or fast food.

My best suggestion is to rent the DVD Super Size Me and watch it. Then, if that's not enough, read Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal by Eric Schlosser. If you're not outraged, read Fat Land: How Americans Became the Fattest People in the World by Greg Critser.

The other bit of advice I have is that once you get into the habit of eating vegetables all the time and cooking at home, you'll find it's easier to not be tempted by that. It was a difficult habit for me to break, and I still fall once in a while. Meal planning is a HUGE help.

Last edited by phantastica; 11-08-2005 at 07:55 PM.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:22 PM   #4  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantastica
My best suggestion is to rent the DVD Super Size Me and watch it.
That's EXACTLY what I was going to say...I don't think I'll EVER eat at McDonald's again after watching that. What that guy's body went through....ugh.

The only other thing I can say is to start cutting back on the fast food. Even just cut out one visit a week -- within 6 weeks, you won't be going back again.

What is it that feels "addictive" about it? Is it the taste of the food? The smell? A specific food that you order? I wondering if you can find (even marginally) healthier options to use as substitutes.

I grew up on Happy Meals, by the way -- they were the only full "meals" I ever got. My Dad used to sneak me out of the house so we could both pig out -- my Mom was anorexic and for years she literally never allowed us to have anything more than grapefruit, tofu, and chicken in the house.

Last edited by LovesBassets; 11-08-2005 at 08:31 PM.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:00 PM   #5  

okay don't feel bad, how can I make a long story short. okay when you it fast foods it screws up the chemistry in your brain and makes you want more like a alcohol who needs a drink or a drug addict who needs a drug. Okay let me sound like I am going to school here The elevated cortisol levels( which happens when you eat highly processed
carbohydrates and sugar) causes the neurotransmitter imbalances in the brain which cause you to crave this JUNK. So you eat more and more and the cycle continues. Have you ever notice how people can down liquid candy ( sodas ) but hate water. when you body is mostly water. see we are a nation who is addicted. We want everything fast and easy and it is killing us. The only true hope in my opinion is to go cold turkey off fast food and Junk if you want to be healthy and happy and lose weight
Okay you will miss the junk for about a month and then something wonderful happens you start craving good food. I'm speaking from experience here. Sure it take awhile to learn to eat healthy. even if you add one good food at a time you will start to feel better. Okay I'm sorry to rabble on but this is an issue I am passionate about you see I was on the borderline to being a diabetic because of junk food and fast food. fast food is truly the new tobacco. This is a hard one but it is doable . I haven't ate fast food in almost a year. Well actually I had a bite when I went on vacation, it tasted so bad that I could eat any more we ended up finding a place that served natural foods.
see once your body gets used to eating good foods it can't stand junk anymore.sorry for the sermon but I wish you the best my friend. I hope you beat this thing
flipafart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:55 AM   #6  

I completely understand what you are talking about. I love fast food but the calories are horrendous. For me, it takes sheer willpower and that's all I can say. I allow myself one fast food meal per week. If I didn't, I would probably start binging. I allow myself to completely enjoy it and then when it's done it's done. It's really just a matter of taking control. It's tough, I know.
WazzuGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:04 AM   #7  

With my kids and sports, since school has started - We eat out more than we should, but the key is to pick the lesser calorie stuff. I will go to McDonalds, but will only eat a Happy Meal. We have eaten subway alot and I always get from the lower calorie menu. And thru all this I have still lost weight. Not to say I haven't snuck a frosty from Wendy's but it was a mini one...just enough to get rid of the urge to eat it.
patswill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 10:26 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Wow, thanks everyone.
Yogini - I would love to get together some time. I think we're pretty far apart though, I'm in Carlsbad. We'll figure something out
Phantastica - That sounds like a great idea! As SOON as I get some free time (crazy week at school) I'm going to rent and/or buy those.
LovesBassets - I don't know if I can pinpoint one thing about it, I just want it! That kind of food to me is like chocolate and sweets are to other people, whereas I have virtually no sweet tooth.
flipafart - Thanks for all the information! I didn't realize it could ACTUALLY be addicting, I thought it was just me! I'll definitely be reading up on the subject.
WazzuGirl - When I first started my diet/exercise I did the same thing. Every Thursday or Friday my husband and I would go to In n Out or Pizza Port or somewhere like that then one day I was too busy to come home so I just grabbed something then that led to another and another! I really want to get back to my one meal of a week and not cut it all out because the whole basis of the plan I've made is that I can still eat everything I did before just less and less often. It's worked everywhere except with fast food.
patswill - Mine has to do with being busy too. I have classes during the day with a break at lunch so I'll use that time to run errands or get some shopping done and it's so easy to just pull through the drive - thru line and pick something up! I never seem to be able to healthy things. In fact during the monopoly game at mcdonalds I was getting LARGES and I justified by saying "That way I'll get the Best Buy Bucks and I don't have to eat all the fries." But of course I always did...
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote