Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 07:44 PM   #1  
Losing for Life!

Default Tips that are working for me

Hi, I have been a WW member for 36 years on and off and am currently back at it. I have three things that are working for me right now and wanted to share them.

A major new insight(to me)was given by my WW leader after the first meeting. She said that when your body has had enough to eat you will sigh deeply. I though yeah right that's a good one but when I ate my next meal I paid attention and sure enough about halfway through I gave a deep sigh and realized I was no longer hungry. So I stopped eating which was soooo hard as I have always hated leaving any points behind on my plate. For the next few days I watched my kids as they ate and to my surprise saw that they would sigh deeply as well when eating but the difference between myself and them was that they pushed their plates away and said they were done.

Since then I have only eaten what comes before that deep sigh and even when I have to leave the food behind I do and it is getting easier.

Since that was working for me so well I also decided to use the 20 minute method of eating and found that if I count to ten after swallowing and taking the next bite that I can take 20 minutes to eat a meal, sometimes even longer.

The third and most difficult thing has been releasing what I call my "Buffet Mentality". This is the need to consume the largest volume of food that I possibly can for the points allowed.

I discovered that for me if I feel the need for some chips I am better off using 5 points and having regular chips than spend 3 points for "Lite" chips and getting twice as much.

I want the taste of fat and salt when I eat something like that and when I have popcorn it has to have real butter and I am so much happier now that I realize that I can have exactly what I want.

I used to eat 8-12 ounces of meat at a meal and now I am satisfied with 2. I used to eat 2 cups of rice and now 1/2 a cup works fine I eat my veggies and salad first and then I can really enjoy the meat and potato portion of my meal.

I am sure that I will reach some hurdles and have days when I totally blow off all of these great tips and overindulge and I am so glad that I have found this site to share those moments with too.

Right now I am so happy that these things are working for me and so I had to share them with you in case they might work for someone else.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:52 PM   #2  
hara hachi bu

Those are great tips! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to check out the sigh thing.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:10 PM   #3  

Great tips! I too am a returning ww member time and time again. I have never heard any of those. Thanks I will try them out too!!
Old 10-15-2005, 09:48 PM   #4  

Thanks for sharing! I'm going to be watching for a sigh tomorrow for sure!
Old 10-15-2005, 10:03 PM   #5  

Great tips Sheri. I hadnt noticed the sigh, but will check it out next time I eat.

Thanks again,
Lisa
Old 10-16-2005, 05:46 PM   #6  
Losing for Life!

Let me know what you think, do you feel hungry still after the sigh? I find that I can stop eating now after I sigh and if I keep eating even only a bite or two I feel too full. I want to know if you notice this also.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:37 PM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

My husband laughs at me for the sigh! He's said it for years but I never realized it might be a common signal that we're full. He'll say "Okay, stop now!" and I've found if I keep going, I'm miserable.

Those are some great tips!
Old 10-24-2005, 11:30 AM   #8  
hara hachi bu

Default "The Sigh" worked for me!

This is such a fabulous tip!

I noticed The Sigh when I was at Olive Garden over the weekend. I'd pre-planned to eat half of my entree and take half home, and The Sigh happened half-way through my entree. I did eat one more breadstick after that, but at least I recognized the sigh!
Old 10-24-2005, 12:07 PM   #9  
The Battle Begins...

Default Me Next

This is soo funny! I have to pay closer attention to The Sigh!! Thanks for the awesome tips!!
Old 10-24-2005, 12:10 PM   #10  
Losing for Life!

Excellent Phantastica!

It sure is interesting once you start to listen to your body, it amazes me that I never noticed it before!
Old 10-24-2005, 12:15 PM   #11  

I am very intriguied by The Sigh, I have never heard such a thing. But I am going to tune in and see what I get. Thanks for the fabulous tips!
Old 10-25-2005, 11:49 AM   #12  

It works! Really.....I was sitting having dinner with my dh last night and sure enough without even thinking about it I sighed! I couldn't believe it...and then I paid attention to how I felt and guess what....I was FULL!

Too funny.

Jane
Old 11-16-2005, 05:58 PM   #13  

Holy crap! That does work! I'm truly glad I read this post. I paid attention for The Sigh, waited a couple of minutes and indeed, I was full. Thanks for posting this!

Jaclyn
Old 11-16-2005, 06:30 PM   #14  

okay, I am going to have to try this tonight. Obviously it's true for all of you to realize you do it.

It goes to show you that your body does have ways of telling you how it feels. We just have to take the time to listen to it.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:45 PM   #15  
On The Road Again...

Wow! I never thought about the sigh. I'll have to listen for it now.

Thanks for the great tips!
Closed Thread