WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2001, 02:23 PM   #1  
It's a life long struggle

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Question Fruits and Veggies

How much is considered 1 serving? I had a plum this morning, and when I checked the pt. value it says 1 pt per 2 plums. So, I ate another plum to make it a full point. Now, should I consider that 1 serving of fruit, or 2 servings of fruit?

Also, for veggies, how much is considered 1 serving? 1/2 cup? 1cup?

I also had a cup of fresh cherries (YUM!) It costs me 1 pt, do I count that as 1 serving or 2 servings?

Thanks,

Angie
Old 06-14-2001, 03:32 PM   #2  

If you are talking about servings sizes used by the food pyramid or the diabetics association, 1/2 cup cooked veggie or 1 cup raw veggie is considered one serving. For fruit, it's 1/2 cup juice, 1 medium size piece (which I guess is why 2 plums are considered one serving - they're small and why big bananas are considered 2 - they're big), or 1 cup melon cubes, strawberries, etc. I wouldn't fret too much about this kind of stuff, just use your best judgement - it can drive you crazy!!!! If you really want to be extra careful, invest in a good diabetics exchange guide - very accurate because it has to be -
Old 06-15-2001, 09:22 AM   #3  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

My leader told me a banana at 2 points counts as 2 fruits. Hope this helps. I agree with MillieB that you don't have to worry too much about this stuff as long as you count the points. Good luck.

Any 1 point fruit is 1 serving. Eating two plums separately is 1 point (and 1 serving). I asked the same question about veggies at my WW meeting and I guess the answer is to check the food guide when you're in doubt. It seems the leafy veggies are measured by the cup, while the more compact veggies are measured by the half cup. Luckily they are all free (except for the newly- appointed veggies LOL). You're right! This is very confusing. I use free veggies to bulk up my meals and almost always eat 5 servings a day, so I really don't worry about this too much. I guess people who have trouble eating veggies might find this more crucial to their weight loss program/
Good luck everyone.

234/215/thinner
Closed Thread