Old 08-21-2005, 11:26 PM   #1  

Default Recognition

Hey All,

Have been a bit absent from the boards the last 2 weeks, had a good friend visiting from out of town. Actually an old college buddy. She has been living over seas for about 4 years, Turkey, Japan, places like that.

I wasn't sure what to call this thread. But I just felt the need to share a bit of excitement in the fact, her reaction to my weight loss was very gratifying. I have to say i wasn't expecting it. She was very taken back by it, still commenting a week into our visit. It's a nice pat on the back.

Just wondering if any of you have experienced something similar.

She had no idea i was even losing weight so I think that contributed much to her suprise.

By the way.. because i haven't had time to chime in on any of the threads this last week i just wanted to say a few things here.

Happy late bday Aimee

Welcome Jawsmom. Congrats on the success. That's awesome

And Hi to everyone else
Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 11:55 PM   #2  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Hey Nash good to see you back. I've had a few experiences like that. It's always nice.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:23 AM   #3  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Hey, Nash - great to see a post from you. That's great about your friend's reaction. Howie had a lot of that when we went to his grandma's calling hours and funeral. He saw a lot of relatives who'd not seen him since he weighed his heaviest (or close to it). It made me very proud to be his wife.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:57 AM   #4  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

It's great that your pal is encouraging you by recognising the effort you're putting in. I posted earlier in the NSV thread about getting my first compliment from someone who didn't know I've been working on my bod. I was a little surprised by how much it affected me--in a positive way. I guess I care far more about how I look than I previously admitted to myself. Now I want more comments like that!
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:49 AM   #5  
Downsizing Dee!

Congrats Nash - that's wonderful to hear. It certainly reinforces that you're doing a wonderful thing for your body and health when you receive such wonderful comments. Keep up the great work!

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:48 AM   #6  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Nice to hear from you, Nash! I just LOVE getting that kind of reaction! The title you gave this thread, "Recognition," really goes to how validating it is to hear those comments and get that kind of reaction from others. Sometimes we lose perspective and can underestimate the differences in our bodies or the magnitude of our achievements, and seeing ourselves through anothers' eyes can be so empowering.

I'm glad you shared this, Nash -- I really appreciate the positive energy!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:24 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

great to hear from you. It sounds like it was a good visit and it is awesome the recognition you received from her.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:02 AM   #8  

I recently had a similar exerience and, as you said, it was very gratifying.

I refuse to spend a lot of money on clothes until I reach the size I want to be. So, sometimes my progress doesn't show as much as it could. When I'm finally to the point that I can't even belt my pants up I spring for a couple of things to get me through the next 10 pounds or so. That is when people tend to make the most comments.

About two weeks ago I bought a new pair of jeans (size 8 I might add!). When I wore them for the first time my 6 year old son announced, "Wow you aren't fat anymore." Okay, it was a little blunt. But, when a 6 year old tells you that you aren't fat you can take it to the bank. First of all, their sense of thin and fat hasn't been warped by years of airbrushed perfection. Second of all, they call them like they see the them. In fact, is it was SO long ago that he announced, "Mom you are fat. But that's okay I'll love you no matter how fat you get. And if anybody makes fun of you I'll tell them to stop." Yeah, that one stung. LOL.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:29 AM   #9  
I climb mountains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawsmom
"Mom you are fat. But that's okay I'll love you no matter how fat you get. And if anybody makes fun of you I'll tell them to stop." Yeah, that one stung.
Ouch!
Old 08-22-2005, 12:37 PM   #10  

Six year olds are rather blunt. Last Christmas my nephew asked if i was able to run with all the fat in there. While somewhat charming and cute in the naivety of the question, I also believe it was the result of poor parenting on my brother and sister-in-law's part. I believe there is a difference between curiosity and ignorance, and I could tell that it was a question fueled by ignorance. OF course he is not to blame at all. We still live in a culture completely open to ridicule of the overweight and obese. It really is the last accepted prejudice in society. So it bleeds to our kids, to view something like obesity as almost freakish or monsterish. The idea of being fat is still something mocked on television, in films, and in magazines. Take the nutty professor and the Klumps for example. Are either of them any different from someone putting shoe polish on their face and acting out much like they did in the minstrel shows of the early 20th century. The only difference is that it is not accepted. I would imagine my career as an actor would be very short if I attempted something like that, every civil rights organization on the continent would be sending death threats my way, and rightfully so. But it is accepted for a man to put a fat suit on and act like a complete fool. This occurs everywhere, even on the show Friends with Monica, and this complete apathy then transfers to our children who perpetuate it.
Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:55 PM   #11  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Nash, that is so awesome. What a tremendous feeling!!!!

jawsmom, My ds is almost 5. He has never yet mentioned my weight. We don't use the word fat or diet. I pray that I can get things under control soon. I don't know that I can handle what's coming.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:36 PM   #12  

Sandi, I am sure you have nothing to worry about. I also avoid the term "diet" at least in terms of weight loss. I don't avoid the word fat though, because it is an accurate assesment sometimes. And Nash is right. There is a difference between recognizing an overweight person as fat and describing them as such as a point of ridicule. For instance, I know my son is aware that being fat is socially frowned upon. But I am also certain that he understands that being overweight isn't a character flaw. If nothing else, my struggle to lose weight has proven that to him. He sees first hand that, while I am much happier and healthier now I am still the same person as I was before. And he knows that I am a good person. As a matter of fact, his comments were fueled by a situation at recess that involved a heavier child and name calling. I was proud to hear that he left the offending group and played with the "outsider" instead despite that making him a target as well.

So, yes, having him put his feelings so bluntly did sting but it also gave me an opportunity to discuss the issue of obesity openly with him. And it opened the door to discuss being fat as an issue of health not character.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:39 PM   #13  
Crazy Canuck

Off to a meeting and no time to contribute, other than to say that was an awesome post, Nash!
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:53 PM   #14  

What an excellent feeling Nash, I hope you fully enjoyed the sense of pride for having all of your hard work paid off in such a gratifying way. Awesome job, keep it up!!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:02 PM   #15  
I climb mountains!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash
Six year olds are rather blunt. Last Christmas my nephew asked if i was able to run with all the fat in there. While somewhat charming and cute in the naivety of the question, I also believe it was the result of poor parenting on my brother and sister-in-law's part. I believe there is a difference between curiosity and ignorance, and I could tell that it was a question fueled by ignorance. OF course he is not to blame at all. We still live in a culture completely open to ridicule of the overweight and obese. It really is the last accepted prejudice in society. So it bleeds to our kids, to view something like obesity as almost freakish or monsterish. The idea of being fat is still something mocked on television, in films, and in magazines. Take the nutty professor and the Klumps for example. Are either of them any different from someone putting shoe polish on their face and acting out much like they did in the minstrel shows of the early 20th century. The only difference is that it is not accepted. I would imagine my career as an actor would be very short if I attempted something like that, every civil rights organization on the continent would be sending death threats my way, and rightfully so. But it is accepted for a man to put a fat suit on and act like a complete fool. This occurs everywhere, even on the show Friends with Monica, and this complete apathy then transfers to our children who perpetuate it.
Excellent, excellent post, Nash. You nailed it.