Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2001, 02:55 PM   #1  
DNR
Determined Woman

Default Need Advice

Hi everyone:

I have been in WW since Jan 2 and by mid-late April I had lost 33 lbs. So, what's the problem? Well, I have 100 to lose total and I've been told many times recently that I'm looking good etc. and that's great. I have gone down 2 sizes and am feeling pretty good about my loss, but I have a long way to go.

For the last 7 weeks or so, I've been at a plateau. I started walking then and have been walking at least 10 miles a week, sometimes more (I go on my lunch hour every day). Plus I garden and am a very active person at home on the weekends, so I am far from a couch potato. My DH calls me the Energizer bunny because I never sit down. I have been eating the same as I was when I was losing and I vary what I eat so it's not always the same thing, but one week I lose .6 and then last week I gained 1.6 (good grief). So, I go up and down and up and down.

I'm tired of paying WW $10 when I'm not losing (and I know that's kind of wimpy). I have been a WW many times before now and never stayed motivated long enough to stay with it. I am very determined this time and want to see myself get
to the end of my journey. I have many things motivating me.

I would like to try doing it at home - I was wondering if some of you would give
me some feedback as to whether or not you do this at home or do you go to meetings. If you don't attend meetings, do you think you do as well
as if you were going to meetings, etc. I don't ever want to see the 33 lbs back that I've lost and I'm afraid of getting into that rut of saying, "I'll start Monday" again. I am the type who does better if I'm accountable to something or someone but, as I said earlier, I am really determined this time. I also find that I don't get a whole lot out of the meetings - they are not one of my main motivators.

DNR
Old 06-08-2001, 08:40 PM   #2  
Just call me Patty

Exclamation DNR Don't give up!!!

I started at the same as you...I actually wanted to lose 100lbs and now my goal is to lose 118...I started last June, yesterday I celebrated my 52nd week of my new lifestyle....I have lost 91 lbs so far!

I would suggest that you stay going to the meetings...to me spending that money every week has been something I do for ME! Plus that, my leader gives me the best support...I wouldn't even want to do this at home without my meetings...some weeks they keep me going....When I hit 75lbs lost I stayed there for 4 weeks...I even gained 2lbs one week....and right now I have been at a 9l lb loss for the last three weeks just struggling to maintain... But after you have been on this awhile this is what happens and this is where you need to be a bit stronger....I will make 100, and I will make 118...no rush I say...I look at it this way...this time last year I was 91lbs heavier, I weighed 303, wore a size 26 and hated the way I looked in everything I wore...Today, I weigh 212, wear an 18 and am fitting into some 16's already and am discovering a new style of wardrobe that I never ever ever thought I'd wear again...

All I can say is HANG IN THERE!!!! If you don't have a good leader go to another meeting until you find one that you can click with...I am a HUGE believer in the meetings...I know for some people it all depends on their situations ( if it's cash flow WW will work with you on that!) but for me that pep talk once a week is part of my success....plus I have meet several wonderful new friends who I can relate to....

Well, I hope I helped!

Patty
in Michigan
Old 06-08-2001, 08:48 PM   #3  

Lightbulb ww at home

Hi. I am not doing ww at all but I thought if you wanted to know about the ww at home issue, you might want to try posting in that thread or reading some of those posts. Apparrently those people have been doing that at home. Hope I'm not imposing but maybe they could help you on that front.

As far as your weight loss, you have lost a good bit of weight since January. I have lost 50 pounds myself and I started back in July. I think for a lot of people, you lose some faster up front and then it slacks off a bit. Stick with it because otherwise you might get back to where you started.
Old 06-08-2001, 09:56 PM   #4  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Hi DNR... I don't know your personality, but 2 years ago after losing 18 on WW I decided I could do the 1lb per week on my own at home... yeah that lasted about 3 more weeks and then I fell off the program and it took me 2 years to rejoin. This time I purchase the 12 week coupons so I don't feel the sting of paying every single week for it. I use holiday gift money to purchase the coupon books (or birthday $).

Anyway - I only rejoined in March of this year and for the past 3 weeks I'm stuck too! I read the Wendie plan (from a WW member who kept hitting plateaus) on the webiste here...http://pub70.************/blightenup78347 and I tried it this week. I go to WI tomorrow so we will see... but as of this morning I know I dropped at least 2lbs this week.

Good Luck - I personally have no discipline to do it on my own...but since you are so much further along than me you very well could!
Kim
239/227 (for 3 weeks now)/140
Old 06-09-2001, 01:07 PM   #5  
DNR
Determined Woman

Thanks everyone for your input.

I can relate to what all of you said. I am afraid that if I stop going to meetings, I'll slip back into my old habits - maybe that's why I asked for some input!!! I am just getting so frustrated and I guess I just have to get a little tougher. I feel I'm doing everything right, so I guess I'll just hang in there a little longer. I don't have a problem with my leader - she is fine and inspires the group.

I am cleaning house like crazy today for a little exercise and drinking my water and trying to do everything right over the weekend. I know that TOM makes a difference (at least it does with me) and that's right around the corner for me, so that may have something to do with my stall.

I feel that you sort of "set me straight" - I'll follow your advice and keep going to the meetings.

Thanks again,

DNR
Old 06-09-2001, 04:58 PM   #6  

I have lost weight many times at home, for about 4 weeks and then I would start rationalizing why I was eating something or using the tomorrow is a new day thing.

I have been going to Weight Watchers meeting since April 17. I must admit that I go mainly to get weighed and to visit with friends I don't get to see often. The meeting itself I could take or leave. We have a great leader, but by the evening after I have either taught all day or worked around home all day, I don't need someone else telling me what I should be doing. I already know that.

I pay every week basically to get weighed. I feel your frustration with the plateauing. I haven't yet, but I will. I have lost every week (last week one pound) but I know that I will plateau because I always do regardless of what I do in exercise, etc. I think this time knowing I am going to go be weighted will be a good motivator to work my way through the plateau. Without the accountability, I would be likely to throw in the towel.

Elaine
Old 06-09-2001, 05:36 PM   #7  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Hello again... I am just so excited and wanted to tell you DNR that I tried that Wendie Plan for the past week - my weigh in was this AM.... and I lost 4lbs after staying the same for 3 weeks straight. SO EXCITED!!!! Actually it was 4.5 after the scale stopped fluctuating... but I told my leader to hold that .5 till next week when it's solid - it'll be my motivator. Stay with the program - it really does work even if it takes some of us longer to get there!
Kim
239/223/140
Old 06-11-2001, 10:31 AM   #8  
DNR
Determined Woman

Default Found it

I found the Wendie Plan and I'm going to try it this week. It will give me a good reason to track everything and it appears that others have had success with it.

Thanks for the help and I'll let you all know how my week goes!

DNR
Closed Thread