WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2001, 09:45 AM   #1  
Mom to 2 beautiful girls!

Default Greek Salad Points

Does anyone know the approximate points for a large greek salad. I might order one for lunch and need to know right away if it is worth it. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-07-2001, 09:48 AM   #2  

In the Food Companion it says that 3 cups of Greek Salad equal 8 points; but I would assume it would also depend on how much feta cheese, olives, and dressing is in it.
Old 06-07-2001, 10:07 AM   #3  
imaleader

Count the feta cheese separately, ask for the dressing on the side (or just use the vinegar, or even better, a lemon) Feta cheese is 3 points for 1/4 cup (1 1/3 ounces). Each stuffed grape leaf (dolma) is 1 point. Olives are 1 point for 10 small or 6 large. Other than that the salad itself is zero. So it's a function of how much dressing you use, and how many of the grape leaves and cheese you eat. Have a great lunch. It's one of my favorites!

Old 06-07-2001, 10:18 AM   #4  
Mom to 2 beautiful girls!

OH yah, less than I thought. Since we are ordering into work, I don't have much choice on the dressing, and I always ask for dressing on the side. I shouldn't have much of a prboblem point wise then! Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2001, 10:41 AM   #5  
imaleader

Jen: Read your PMs. thx.

Old 06-07-2001, 01:35 PM   #6  

Why not use PMs to answer PMs?

Some Greek salads have a lot of anchovies, too--don't forget to count those points (well worth it, in my smelly-fish-loving opinion. I know all the world hates 'chovies, but that leaves more for my husband and me!).
Old 06-07-2001, 02:20 PM   #7  
imaleader

No Greek Salad has enough anchovies to count the points. They usually have no more than 2 or 3 fillets. 6 anchovies is one point.

Old 06-07-2001, 04:30 PM   #8  

The Hellenic restaurant from which I order Greek salads makes them with at least 10 fillets per salad. So, as always, it's best to avoid blanket statements about dishes that are prepared differently depending on the country, region, city, restaurant or chef. Fortunately, I know how to count points for mixed foods--the first rule is to do it according to what's actually on my plate, not someone else's version of the same dish.

Last edited by ShakeThoseHips; 06-07-2001 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-07-2001, 04:47 PM   #9  
imaleader

Which is why weight watchers has been so successful. It bases its information on national averages, and your Greek restaurant is outside the national average.

Old 06-07-2001, 06:21 PM   #10  

That's one reason WW is so successful. Another equally important reason is that most of its leaders make a point of avoiding patently false statements like "NO version of such-and-such dish has enough such-and-such to count the points." Luckily, most leaders--including mine, bless her competent and communicative soul!--are committed to helping customers learn to quickly break down the ingredient list in what's actually on their own plates, so that clients can get as accurate a point count as possible without expending an unreasonable amount of time and energy.

It's all about using leadership to help the people turning over their cash to WW to learn to help themselves--that means speaking in a direct way to customers, yes, but also it also means learning to address them with respect, courtesy and an understanding that teaching is a two-way process. It's all about finding it more important to empower clients than to one-up or condescend to them.
Old 06-08-2001, 09:26 AM   #11  
imaleader

I'm glad you understand my point then!

Old 06-08-2001, 11:18 AM   #12  

Default Anchovies

Hey, Shake--save some anchovies for me. Here's the GREAT NEWS. Everyone assumes no one would ever eat more than 6 anchovy fillets, so that's the "serving size," but we anchovy aficianados (sp?) appreciate this delicious addition to our salads. It turns out, according to my Nutribase calorie book, that a WHOLE CAN (the usual size) of anchovies, drained, is 2 points. And I measured the oil left behind once--it's a tablespoon. So you could have a whole can WITH the oil for 5 points. If you dump the whole can over a salad and then bathe with a good balsamic vinegar--heaven! And all that "good fat," between the olive oil and the omega-3's. (Usually I do drain it, even rinse it, and count 2 points, but for a splurge...)
Old 06-08-2001, 04:12 PM   #13  

Oh, yeah, I understand your point, ima"leader". Warmest sympathies to the hapless dictatees in your meetings. Quite frankly, this represents all the energy I'm willing to throw into an intellectual and social vortex.

Aw, Bumby, Sister in Seafood, you're making me salivate. I have six cans of 'chovies in the pantry right now (um, there was a sale), and I know what's going on the ho-made (sorry--old joke) pizza I'm makin' tonight. I also have some good recipes for the little buggers, if you're interested.

Several years ago I bought the Oprah chef book, In the Kitchen with Rosie. While much of it is needlessly bland, it does have 7 or 8 *****in' recipes. I was amused by Rosie's lame recipe for a
"Caesar salad," coupled with her assertion that anchovies are "fat- and calorie-laden." As you say, Bumby, NOT!

Last edited by ShakeThoseHips; 06-09-2001 at 12:26 AM.
Closed Thread