Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-15-2005, 01:14 PM   #1  

Default What are your rules in weight lifting?

Hi,

I rarely post here - I do not know why - probably because I need more help in maintaince with my weight and I do not have problems to go and exercise? Also I am asthmatic and weight lifting is my favourite exercise type - hence I just enjoy it by myself? However, recently I realized that even though i exercise a lot (at least in my eyes) - my body is far from what I think it should be for all the good effort I put in it (i am not sure if I made it clear).

So here it goes. For almost 4 years I do some weight lifting. What I did is - gym 1-3 times/week with free weight and equipment. I almost never exercised my muscle to last point - like I do 10 reps, I am tired but I am sure I can do couple more. I also did only 1 or sometimes 2 sets of repetitions (each 10-12 reps). I can see my muscles in my arms and legs but nevertheless my fat content is around 23-25% - so here it goes - what I do wrong?

I recently read that I have to eat more protein when weight lifting. Some other books say I have to eat carbs right before exercise... Also that I have to do 3 sets - first two about 10 reps but so that I can do more and last one so that I can not do more - like to total exhaustion. Now I get totally confused - some books suggest to do weight lifting early morning only!

Anyways - my goal is to have more sculpted arms and legs (like when muscles do show up a bit but are not "manly" - I want to see my biceps!). Right now my body looks fit, in good shape, but muscles do not show up... Evidently I have to change something - please do not tell me I have to weight lift early morning

Any advices? What you beautiful sculpted ladies and gents do? How and when? Do you eat those sports bars? Protein shakes (I bought one as I am anemic - it is soy protein powder - but did not try it yet)...

I will appreciate all advices... Note that I had PT in my life but none of them were giving me something I was not doing already, so I think how I do and how many times is important!

Thanks,
Sandy.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 05:24 AM   #2  

hi Sandy,
I might not be the right person to answer because I also am stuck for months on the same bodyfat, and I am not sculpted either. But I read on sumptuous.com to get ideas for weight workouts which I do at home (and also first thing in the morning). There are a lot of different ideas about if you have to lift to failure and with a split or not. I do not lift to failure because I am afraid of injuries which would cause me to stop lifting altogether for a while.
I did change my routine last week and I notice that with the new routine I feel more effect of the workout, so my bet is that change in muscle use is just as important as lifting to failure.

rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 05:25 AM   #3  

Hi Sandy,

I forgot to add that on Krista's site (sumptuous.com) there is also a section on what to do if things don't work out. This could be worthwhile to check out.

rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 05:47 AM   #4  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rabbit
Krista's site (sumptuous.com)
I think there's a t in there somewhere. Try stumptuous.com. It's a great site.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 01:18 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Yup, it's http://www.stumptuous.com/
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:11 PM   #6  
Raawwwwr.

Hey -

Here's what I do (it put muscle on me pretty quick and got me more pumped). I lift 3-4 times a week. I tend to put strength on my legs/quads much MUCH faster than my back/shoulders/arms, so I only do a leg workout once/week, and arms/back/abs 2-3 times/week.

At any rate:
Ideally, you should get a big dose of protein (20+ grams) about an hour before a heavy weight lifting session. Don't believe the carb hype: If you're eating carbs, your body's going to burn carbs when you work out. You wan it to burn fat (I assume..). Lift first: This will put your energy into lifting, and will burn any excess carbs you have in your system.

Typically, I do two hard workouts on my upperbody a week: eg, 3-5 reps, five sets. I lift until failure -- you should try doing this (with proper warm up) at least once a week: it will help build muscle instead of just thirty reps at a really low weight. You will not bulk up or get big...women aren't genetically "made" to - you WILL get smaller, interestingly enough.

After hitting the weights, try to get 30-45 min cardio in..relatively intensive. Finally, as soon as your workout is done, get something high-carb into you: I drink 10 oz of apple juice. Don't eat sugary garbage (candy, soda, whatever)...but try for a juice or something.

Lastly, drink lotsa water. Lots of water. LOTS.

If you want any help or advice or anything, just PM me
konstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:49 PM   #7  
Mel

Very low rep sets to failure, like the previous poster described, are best for building sheer strength. That's how powerlifters train, and you will get stronger quickly. For maximum muscle hypertrohpy, but not necessarily explosive strength, keep your reps in the 10-12 rep range with around 4 sets. You can super-set (2 sets before you rest), or do tri- or giant sets depending on your fitness level.

I wouldn't recommend the eating plan suggested above, but I think it really depends on what time of day you do your workouts and whether or not you like to workout with or without a full stomach. Some people can't...some people have to. I usually have a balanced carb/protein meal 3-4 hours before my workout, then a protein drink about 1/2 an hour before. Post-workout, you generally want carbs and protein. The reasoning behind a fast acting carb like juice (some bodybuilders actually use sugar or honey) is to carry protein quickly to damaged muscles. You need the protein in that meal.

If you want to see major changes in your body, you really need to change something...nutrition, weights...sounds like what you really need is to build more muscle, and that means more intensive weight training. Do you do a full body workout now or a split? If you are currently lifting 3X a week, I'd suggest doing a split something like:
legs, abs
shoulders, bis, tris
chest and back

or

legs, shoulders
chest, tris
back, bis
do abs on one or two of your cardio only days

There are loads of ways to split your workout, but to build muscle, you really need to push yourself and lift to failure (near failure on some exercises!), and change your workout around frequently Do at least 3 sets of each exercise. You can pyramid your weight (go up), do drop sets (decrease weight), do combinations of the two, and do "burnout" sets. Just keep mixing it up and challenging yourself! and have fun

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 05:48 PM   #8  
SW236/CW143/GW149

Mel, thanks for that post. I just started going to the gym again and needed some direction. I had a personal trainer before, so I sort of remember the work out routines, but seeing your suggestion on the split work out really helped me. That is how I worked out before, but kind of had forgotten how many days a week etc...
Anyway, thanks a bunch.

Mandy
mandyd26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 08:57 PM   #9  
Mel

Hi Mandy! Wow...look at that success! Glad I could help Come on out of hiding and join us here at LWL or over in the Maintainers Forum. Everyone is welcome, and you are pretty darn close to goal Congratulations

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:08 PM   #10  

Thanks, Mel and Konstine,

I started to lift till failure (and I can say I even like it) - I often feel it next day or day after I was always eating carbs before going to the gym - so I will also try to eat protein before workout - will see what works!

Thanks,
Sandy.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote