Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-28-2005, 03:48 PM   #1  
Mel

Default LWL #192 Week of Feb 28 - March 6

Oh boy, I'm late starting this thread! Sorry, ladies, the day just kind of got away from me!

It's snowing like crazy out there- dh's plane is supposed to land in Phila in about 1/2 an hour, then he has what would normally be a 45 minute drive on rush-hour expressways ahead of him. It will probably take around 2-3 hours in this mess. I'm reading and posting to keep from panic eating! I guess I could go shovel the driveway AGAIN, but it's a losing battle.

Today is a HUNGRY day. Maybe the snow, maybe the worry, I dunno but a humungo pot of chili sounds really good. Hmmm...not a bad idea....I think I'll go rummage around in the kitchen and see if I have the ingredients

Did shoulders, cardio, shoveling, shoveling and shoveling today. More shoveling predicted

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 03:35 AM   #2  

Hi LWL,

Mel... Good luck with the snow & the shoveling. I hope your husband got home okay.
Mox... Good luck with the injury & I hope it heals soon

It is cold here as well. had a great weekend skiing but otherwise it is a bad start of the week. I have another appointment I dread this morning, and to make the matters worse I fear that my car will not start because of the cold. Routine is so far disrupted that I did not do my cardio today, and only put in 30 mins yesterday. However, I keep on keeping on as the saying goes, and will do better tomorrow.

Have a good day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 10:04 AM   #3  

Being a southern California girl, I can only imagine what having all that snow around does to you all. It snows in my part of the world once every few years, and if it sticks, life comes to a grinding halt! We've had more than our share of rain lately, and schools were closed due to flash flood warnings, and roads closed due to flooding (and although not in my town) houses sliding off their hillside perches, but it is very interesting to me to hear about the snow. I do hope your husband made it home okay.

Yesterday I worked both jobs, then had school. Long, long day. Today is work and then the gym. I am looking forward to the gym. I am still getting back into the swing of things after the surgery-related time off, and am waiting for the muscles to build and the body to quit aching!

Went to the gym over the weekend with my 15-year-old son. That was lovely. He is my child who prefers to be home and is disinclined to do much of anything else. I let him lead me through his routine. I loved spending time with him. On a positive note, it looks as if the education he has been getting at the gym is solid. He had very firm ideas about what to do, in what order, at what weight, and his form looked good.

I'm back to slipping out of work for "stairs" breaks during the day. I find it helps clear my head a bit, and other than looking kind of silly running up and down the stairs, if anyone else should wander into the stairwell at that time, definitely a better way to spend a break than in the break room with the goodies.

Dawna
Dawnajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:07 PM   #4  

Happy March, LWL!

Dawna,
I used to do stairs at an old job - now I just walk around the outside of the building sometimes. If anyone followed me they would think I was lost and insane.

Meg - hope DH got home ok, and you're safe, sound and snuggly now. I don't miss the snow per se now that I live near San Francisco, but I do miss the snow days sometimes.

Mox - hope the knee is feeling better!

I've got work obligations on my lifting days this week but I'm going to be able to start doing my cardio at a park near me that has later hours now that it's March. So I will do a 2.5 mile loop today after work; I haven't done that routine since before Christmas I think so I'm sure I'll be a lot slower than I used to be.
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:58 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning LWL!

Had a good workout last night - upper body with weights, then an intense half hour on the elliptical. WHile I hate sweating (gotta remember that headband), I love how I feel afterwards.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 05:25 AM   #6  

hi LWL,

Dawna, lLaura, Pat, good to hear from you all.

Meg...I hope your husband got home OK.

Better day today. Leg day, and put in cardio: 15 mins row, 30 mins jog, 30 mins bike. Read a good line today as well: Even if life is like your in a boat on uncertain waters, as long as you are in charge of it its OK. Feeling a bit more in charge now. On a positive note, scales were down as well too! I hope this will last.

have a good day,
rabbit
Old 03-02-2005, 09:19 PM   #7  
Mel

Well, MY husband got home OK Sick as a dog, but the plane landed safely and he was able to slog through the snow to get home.

It's been a wild week here. I'm leaving tomorrow morning to visit my dd in Columbus, OH, meet some friends and go to the Expo at the Arnold (second biggest bodybuiilding show in the country). I've been trying to wedge all my clients into the last 3 days, plus all my workouts for the week. And a bazillion errands, cooking for dh and ds, etc. I'm exhausted!

Although crazy, it's been a fun couple of days at the gym. We bought a slew of new equipment: a climbing rope, gymnast rings, mats, 10 bosu balls and a bunch of bosu routine manuals, and the head trainer and I have been inventing and trying out new exercises. Did you know you can put 2 bosu balls flat sides together and do squats on the top one???? Try it in a squat cage Next I'm going to try squatting on a stability ball! Will post pictures if I can actually do it. We keep kidding our clients that next week we are ordering flaming batons.

Food's been good, weights good, cardio- lacking. I'm going to attempt a session tomorrow morning before I hit the road, but it depends on how many outfits I have to try on before I pack

Have a good end of the week and week-end!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:26 AM   #8  

hi LWL,

Life has come to a grinding halt around here because of SNOW. We actually never have much, so yesterday it came as a nice surprise. now especially the traffic is havcing a hard time getting through. Also it's like dead quiet outside. It is like snow soakes up sound.

Mel.. Good for you your husband got home OK. I hope you will have a fabulous trip to Columbus. Squatting on a stability ball ??? You must be joking! definitely post pictures if this works out.

I did cardio today, 20mins row, 45 mins jog and 15 mins bike.

have a good day,
rabbit
Old 03-03-2005, 08:15 AM   #9  
Queen of Wishful Thinking

S/C/G: 230/216/150

Height: 5'6

Hi all,

Rabbit - glad to hear you've been feeling more in charge - and losing, too

Mel - we'll definitely be expecting a detailed report of what you see at the Arnold expo. I looked at the website for the competition, and, man, it's hard to believe those are real people - they look more like Greek statues (in full color, of course)

Sickness and bad weather at the beginning of the week - actually, not that bad a combination, since I stayed home from work and read a book or two. However, I didn't do any exercise Sunday-Tuesday, and not a whole lot yesterday. I'll make up one missed workout by combining it with what I have planned for today - which results in lots of UB. At least I have time for it this evening.

Hope everyone has a lovely day!
2sw33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 01:38 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning LWL -

Yesterday afternoon was the second half of my root scaling at the dentist, and I felt much worse than when they did the first half the week before. I took myself home to the couch instead of working out. I feel much better today, and so will be at the gym after work doing a LBWO and the every-unpopular Oh, and perhaps I won the GC to the Italian restaurant - I'm sure I didn't, I never win anything.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:50 PM   #11  

Hi LWL - sorry to have been MIA this week - where did it go? My workouts are going well, good clean eating and still training for my 5K. Unfortunately, winter duldrums have hit hard - I hate making my bed every morning and cooking dinner every night. I hate wearing a coat and having dry skin ... yada yada yada. The only bright spot has been listening to The Broker during my cardio. Most of the action so far has been in Bologna, so I've been doing a little "virtual" traveling. I am also going to try to stay away from Fitday and the scale for the next month and try to listen to my body and feel my clothes instead of being so wrapped up in numbers - both on the scale and calories consumed. Hope everyone has a great end of week and weekend.
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:25 AM   #12  

Hi LWL,

Still snow around, and a very busy week. Especially busy this time with shopping, kids, and catching up with the housework. No matter what happens, allways the dust is lying patiently waiting to be removed.

JCHhanks for the support; I hope you yourself are recovering well.

Pat: Ouch.. dentistry work again. Keep on the good work with the cardio, and for the cardio challenge... you probabely already won something... all that cardio must have done you some good !!!

Ellen...Sounds like you are doing great through the winter duldrums... Ate clean, kept on working out. Keep on going !!! Most of this trick is doing as you did: just showing up already works to keep you out of trouble.

Did UBW today, and cardio 10 mins row, 30 mins jog and 30 mins bike.

Have a great friday and it is ALMOST WEEKEND !!!
rabbit
Old 03-04-2005, 07:03 AM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

Hey girls it's been a busy week... Today I WILL make it to the gym, I've only gone twice this week and it's Friday already...Argh!!

Rabbit -- I admire your dedication to your workouts!! Keep up the great workouts...

Gotta run, let's be careful out there!! (I'm a fine one to talk these days .... ) TTFN
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:34 AM   #14  
Queen of Wishful Thinking

S/C/G: 230/216/150

Height: 5'6

I didn't do the combined workout, just made up Monday's. (So when will I make up yesterday's?) I couldn't coerce any of my siblings to help, so I had to hoist weights into place myself (since I don't have a rack or a stand or whatever it's called). I don't know if it was the extra effort required for that or if I was just weak from having been sick, but I couldn't do as much on the bench press and incline press as I had planned.

Well, with the weekend coming, I hope everyone's feeling confident and prepared. Stay strong and best wishes!
2sw33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:55 PM   #15  
Working My Way Back Down

Well, not surprisingly, I won nothing in the Feb cardio challenge! Of course, I am a winner in that I met my goal for the month, but still, I'd never turn down a little material reward.

Had an awesome legs workout last night (if I do say so myself) followed by a so-so cardio. Ah, well, I did it and that's what counts.

And as for the dental work - I'm done til I have a cleaning in June!! Yay!