Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-14-2005, 07:40 AM   #1  
Mel

Default LWL # 190 Week of February 14-20

Happy Valentines Day, LWL

Not so happy for me...I got on the scale after two week-ends of indiscretions and am up almost 4 pounds and past my 'line in the sand" weight

Time to get back to serious basics! All my workouts have been hard and heavy, and eating during the week has been clean as a whistle, but there is just no wiggle room for cheating on week-ends. It ended yesterday, and today I'm revising my Valentine dinner plans to be clean. As in "NO CHOCOLATE" for me

Got to run to an early doc appointment. My left hand has really been bothering me, very sore and stiff at night and in the mornings. The good scenario is arthritis, the bad is a bone cyst. This is scaring me. Hand surgery is not high on the list of things I'd look forward to having!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:22 AM   #2  

MEL - How good are you with a line in the sand, you stick to it and soon you will be where you want to be. I hope you just have something really really minor with your hand.

We are eating in tonight, DD wants the rice to be molded like a heart, she has good ideas. Steak tips and veggie stirfry is all the good news, the tough part is that the 6 yo also wants cake, I can hold firm.

I overslept this am, just as well as we were at the school by 8 am. we took grapes, very healthy for the kids. Felt the teachers were cringing everytime a donut bag or plate of cupcakes showed up Between the early sugar and the Valentines all day long, (also the 100th day of school due to snow) it is going to be a long Monday.

This week is crap for me, too many meetings, so I have to be on track and get to the gym, need that destressing in the early morning.

Then next weekend three days away for some good family time. The hotel has a gym and I plan to be there each of the three days. DD wants me in the pool as well.
Sugar Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 11:29 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hello all,

Yesterday, I skipped working out because well I was just basically going to do cardio and my legs were super sore yesterday. And really it is easy for me to give myself an excuse to skip cardio Today I wake up, my legs are more sore than yesterday. I guess my leg workout on Saturday was really good.

My mom sent me a Valentine's card with money in it. When I talked to her, she told me that the money was so I could buy myself some chocolate for Valentine's. She knows I love chocolate but I think I'll be using it for something else. I also told her about giving up chocolate for Lent and she was almost apalled that anyone would try to do such a thing. She loves chocolate as well It has been killing me though because I did want a treat the other day and didn't buy no sugar added fudgsicles and haven't been eating my no sugar added puddings either. Amazingly though, it has kept me in line when I was staring down some milk duds Then I remembered "oh yeah no chocolate!"
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 01:34 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Good morning LWL

Another snow day here... but the strange thing is there is NO snow !! The school board in their wisdom is 'anticipating' freezing rain, so as to not have buses on the road at 2PM this afternoon, decided on no buses... My kids don't take buses but when there are no buses they do NOTHING in class so they may as well do nothing at home... I've learned that from working in schools, teachers hate when only half the kids are there, rather than do some catching up with the kids that are there, they let them watch TV... Go figure...Anyways my kids are home, I'm home...

I got a good leg workout in today... and DS came with me so that was nice...

Meg -- Could you possibly have carpal tunnel? I had both my hands done a few years ago and was out of commission from the gym for only about 3 weeks.... They are fine now and never bother me...

Food was good for the weekend too, I really had no choice, the whole week before it was horrible!! Today, so far, so good...

Well I'm off so lurk...TTFN......
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 02:55 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning. Our weather went from sub-zero to above freezing over the weekend! Weird. Today is 25ish but windy, so it doesn't feel much warmer.

Mel, sorry to hear about your hand. Hope it's nothing awful. Like Ilene, I've had one hand operated on for carpal tunnel, and found the recovery fast and uneventful. Made me wonder why I waited so long. I'll need the other one done eventually, but it's not nearly as bad.

Had a good LBWO on Friday, plus a decent cardio. Tonight is UB and of course the ever unpopular

Have a good day, everyone.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 03:39 PM   #6  
mox

Happy Monday everyone: Well, my flu is finally easing up (just a cough now and then), which is good news, but the bad news is my knee isn't healing as well as it should. So, my MD wants me to schedule an MRI to see if something is actually torn. I'm dreading the news, although I guess it's better to know and do whatever needs to be done (like surgery) then to hobble around. I'm kinda blue about all of these health issues right now. I'm finding it hard to stay motivated when I can't do the physical stuff I had hoped/planned to do. But, I decided this weekend that the only thing I can do is exercise gently but consistently and really watch what I eat. Good luck to everyone else today and this week . . . stay healthy! Mox
mox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 04:03 PM   #7  

Hi LWL - glad to hear most of us are on the upswing on the health side.

Sunday was my official first day of training for the 5K in April. I jogged/walked a 5K path. I jogged for a minute and walked for 1 through the first half and then jogged for one walked for two the second. It took me an hour, which is considerably longer than it takes me to walk 3 miles on the treadmill, so I still have quite a bit of work to do in this next 10 weeks.

Today I did 30 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes on the treadmill, then a full body weight workout. Tomorrow is yoga and another attempt at 5K.

I met with one of the owners of my gym to talk with him about nutrition and personal training and get recommendations for certifications and also try to find out if he saw working with boses and overweight clients as a possible part of their model. He didn't answer specifically as I know he couldn't. I by no means expected him to promise me a job on completion of my certification but wanted to make sure a market exists. Somehow he kept turning the conversation back to me and asking if I was at a plateau and needed his help on a cardio program to break through. I finally "heard" what he was asking and decided to take his advice. Only problem is his program is a 3 month program and I have committed to this 5K, so I asked hi mand my trainer to work together and figure it out. I have been trying to get an hour a day of varied cardio in based on the latest USDA guidelines. His is more varied and intesnity levels change as well as the equipment itself. I am game - it doesn't seem unsafe to me so as long as it can work in tandem with the 5K training I think it will work. I am ready to mix it up and start losing significant weight again. Here is his plan. Let me know what you think

4x per week (though with 5K training may only do 2x a week)

5 min warmup and cool down plus:

Week 1: Bike Medium intensity 25 minutes
Week 2: Treadmill Medium 35 min
Week 3: Elliptical High 20 min
Week 4: bike/Treadmill Medium 15/15 min
Week 5: Elliptical Med/High 25 min
Week 6: Treadmill Med/high 25 min
Week 7: Bike Med/high 25 min
Week 8: Stairmaster Med/high 25 min
Week 9: Bike Med 60 min
Week 10: Treadmill Low 60 min
Week 11: Ellipticall Low 60 min
Week 12: Treadmill Low 60 min
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 08:55 AM   #8  

Hi LWL,

Mel, Sorry to hear about your hand. I hope whatever it is will be easy to heal for you.

Mox, Sorry about the knee too! Just ease along, untill it clears up. In my experience, when I started working out my muscles got stronger much quicker than my joints & ligaments could take so i had sore joints as well. Also putting a springy mat for the jog & jump things helped a lot for my knees.

I survived another week & weekend. DH & the kids surprised me with a valantines gift yesterday, it was so sweet i almost cried.
I am a bit emotional this week, apart from that hanging in there with occasional good days or part of days. This could have been much worse.
But i'm still hanging in there and showing up. Could not do much excercise due to time pressure, but managed to do 10 mins row yesterday, and 10 mins row + 15 jog + 15 bike today.

Have a great day,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 12:01 PM   #9  

Got to the gym this morning and did an UBWO as well as some cardio and abs. At least I think I have abs under my gut.

During my dumbbell curls, I got some pain in the inside of my elbow, the base of the muscle versus the elbow pit if you will. I am thinking it is a form thing and not a weight thing because when I switch to the hammer curls, no pain. Otherwise, I am easing up the weights, hitting new highs. I am getting to the point where I have to work on my grip.

NELIE - The beginning of Lent is always like that, I reach for what I am giving up and remember. Sometimes it takes me about 10 days to get into the whole thing.

Weather should hit 50's today and if I didn't have a meeting tonight and a screw up with my online banking, I would take a long walk to relax. Not happening today.

MOX - I wish you well, healthy and on track real soon. Maybe it is all something minor.

Valentine's Day was very nice, a very small amount of candy but a beautiful bath set from Crabtree & Evelayn, so I am really happy with that. Focus on the nonfood.

My plan is to get up and out to the gym tomorrow except if I work really late tonight. (Right now I have all kinds of people asking me questions that I really don't have to be answering, just they hate to make a decision) I have another meeting tomorrow night, but I am quitting that committee, it just isn't working for my family for me to be out so much. Time to leave it to the younger, the single and the childless.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:49 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Ellen - That routine for cardio sounds really interesting, but could be setting yourself up for overtraining if you will train for a 5 k also... I'm really not sure, I'm no pro ...

Liza -- I love Crabtree & Evelynn, such quality stuff... About your elbow, I find when I add weight too quickly I get the same pain... I just slow it down and not add too much weight too quickly ... Our gym has plate mates to add only 1.25# or 1.5# when doing such exercise, I find it hard to go up a whole 5# at a time in certain exercises...

I had a very good shoulder workout and HIIT cardio session I had to do the because it's raining ...

Food has been very good since Saturday... It's a good thang!!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 12:56 PM   #11  
Working My Way Back Down

Had a good UBWO last night - finally got the message that I need to go higher to challenge those muscles! Then a lovely - not - 1/2 hour on the elliptical. Our gym is having a drawing at the end of the month, and you get entered by doing 30 minutes of cardio 3x a week all month. I'm still in the running (ha, ha) and I figure that there won't be too many who make it all month, life being what it is. Funny thing though, the prize is a gift cert to an Italian restaurant! I do know that they have killer salads though. . .
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 06:07 PM   #12  

PAT - The gym contest sounds like the one coupon give away at Lane Bryant this weekend, I got one for chocolates!
Old 02-16-2005, 04:54 AM   #13  

hi LWL,

Things are looking sunnier at this side! Beautifull sunny day & mood clearing up. Scale also topeed, so that links in with the idea that I have some terrible days when i loose a chunk again. Maybe really stuff being freed from the fat depots and in need to be burned off.

But today I feel Ok and in charge again.
Did UBW, and 10 mins row, 30 mins jog and 30 mins bike.

Liza, Good for you to create your own time and give up on an activity that is costing you too much !!! As you said, sometimes you have to leave it to the young, the single, the childless or even to men !!!

Mel, Mox; Hope your issues are clearing up.

Pat: Keep it Up girl!! We KNOW you can do 3 x cardio in a week !!! You already stayed in for more than half a month, the other half must be do-able !

Spring is in the air !!!

Have a good day,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:15 AM   #14  
Mel

Morning LWL

Today is leg day for me, though my entire body is already sore and I feel like I've already done legs Must be the real, outdoor run that I did on Sunday reminding me that real hills are tougher than treadmill hills. I'm sure once I get started I'll be fine, but right now I'm procrastinating.

Ellen- Does the cardio program have you varying speed and intensity at all or just doing a steady pace? I've found that my clients (and for myself) who do some form of HIIT or at least variations in intensity have better results that those who keep their pace or heart rate steady, even within a targeted fat-burning zone for an extended period of time. Especially if you are looking out at the last few weeks; for fat loss, 60 minutes of steady pace cardio is brutally boring. 45 minutes of varying the intensity either through the speed or incline is just as effective. If you are training for endurance, that's a different matter, but it shouldn't take you an hour to run a 5K anyway.

Pat- I have NO doubt you'll make that 3 times a week! But the prize is kind of funny. Along those lines, I hid the bucket of pink Hershey kisses that the desk staff put out at the gym several times yesterday

Rabbit- Glad to hear things are looking brighter

Mox- Hope you are feeling better!

Nelie- Good for you on the "NO CHOCOLATE!" I've finally got my family trained. Now I just need to work on the gym staff How are your legs today? Mine are going to be screaming in a few hours.

Ilene- Are you back on the food wagon??? I know you never fall off the workout wagon. You are like me....to bad we have to eat at all. Sounds like your weather hasn't been great for your running and I know you'll run through just about anything!

OK, where are the folks we've lost in the last few weeks? Are you out there? Doing great? Fallen off plan? Can we help? Come on back and let us know how you are doing. If you are NOT doing, maybe we can help get you going again

Stay strong, ladies! Just because Valentine's candy is marked down, does not mean it's a good deal!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:48 AM   #15  

Just wanted to check in and say hello.

I had a horrible sinus infection and went from that almost immediately into a relatively minor surgery which means I have been away from the gym for six weeks. I just got the go-ahead from my physician to return to the gym at a postop appointment last night. I am feeling rather intimidated by the thought of starting from scratch once again, but I will do it. I promised myself when I went back to school that I would not give up my exercise and health goals, and now is the time to see exactly how I am going to make all of this work. Yikes!

You all are such good inspiration for me. That said, I do plan to check in here each morning. It really does help.

On the wonderful side, my two youngest children (16 and 15) have joined the gym and are attending regularly. Due to schedule issues, we cannot go at the same time. They received some instruction from the gym staff, and are doing cardio and weights three times per week. So far they are being consistent, which is wonderful! They both have quite a bit of weight to lose, and I am so grateful that they are doing something - anything - other than sitting around being sedentary. I have promised them that if they keep it up and go regularly, I will provide them sessions with my trainer. I just want to see some dedication on their part before I throw more $ into this endeavor. Been there, done that, way too many times before.

Now to clean up all of our eating! Work in progress, as always.

I was reading the various threads, and got such a giggle out of the workout injuries caused by walking into gym equipment. That is me! Too, too funny.

I also appreciated the thread about protein snacks. I need portable, healthful meals and snacks. Make ahead preferable. I will have to make the muffins.

One of my worst issues is going to the gym without having eaten recently enough or gotten in enough fluids. It is amazing the difference it makes. My trainer knows within 10 minutes whether I've done it again. Before this, I never would have believed it made such a difference. If I don't eat, I simply don't have anything to work with.

Good day everyone.

Dawna
Dawnajoy is offline   Reply With Quote