PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 12-02-2004, 11:55 PM   #1  
WW Moderator

Default PCOS Monthly Chat December 2004

Happy December, Ladies! Countdown to 2005!!! I'm doing reverse resolutions. I plan on being 6 pounds lighter by the end of the month. LOL! I lose weight as fast as a slug. But I'll shoot for it anyway.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 09:33 AM   #2  
Gotta move my Thang!

Happy December, folks!

I'm with you, Jennifer - an un-resolution! I pledge to be 4.5 pounds or more lighter by the end of the month. At least that's the goal. Guess this means I'll actually have to stay on plan...

Yahoo!
Solarmama
solarmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 09:59 AM   #3  

hey jennifer

I dont even know what to tell people about pcos when they ask me. You mentioned handing out informational sheets. Where can I go to get something like that?
mrs.ladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 11:08 AM   #4  

Hello Cysters!!

Sorry, I have been MIA for a little while but I am back at it. My ovaries and PCOS aren't troubling me but my digestive system has been (GERD which manifested itself as heart pain but turned out to be acid reflux - thank the Goddesses and Angels for that one!). Just another warning call to take care of thineself verses everyone else in the world that I typically take care off while neglecting myself (mother trait as I am sure all of you with kids or pets can understand!). Glad to see that everyone here is doing well .. the influx of new people and new ideas is nice to see too!

Noodles, I think of your cactus pictures from last year as I commence with my snow shovelling once again - you must keep me posted on your gardening activities and lovely weather so I can live vicariously through you and make it to spring thaw with some semblance of sanity! (never mind, snow shovelling will soon be classified as a bona fide aerobic activity - build those biceps is my mantra lol)

My weight has been stable but time to kick it into gear - I turn 40 in a few months and I would like to be at a healthier place. My resolution - I want to see new numbers which means losing six lbs. It would be nice to do this by the end of the month but with the season upon us, I will plan to maintain and celebrate any loss that comes my way. Any overindulgence will be deemed human and counteracted with extra kickboxing, how does that sound?

Talk to you all soon,

Jenaya

297/275/160
Jenaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:20 PM   #5  
Rattie Lover

Hi all!!

Sorry I haven't posted in a bit. I have been sick... And other things are going on in my personal life that are driving me bananas. I am going in for surgery Friday; time for the ovaries to come out!!! He is going to try to do it laproscopic, but he can't guarantee anything due to my previous 2 surgeries and scar tissue. But he IS going to take a few photos for me of my ovaries so I can show everyone what true polycystic ovaries look like. Cool huh!!!

I felt good enough last night so I took the kid to the mall and gave her $100 and told her go buy whatever she wanted, since this year she is going to the grandparents for Christmas, plus I will be in no shape to decorate or tear down a tree. She and I had a ball! We got some dinner and shopped for 2 hours. I hadn't been to the mall in over a year--it's the cheapskate in me. Heck I even used my Bath & Body Works & Victorias Secrets coupons for free stuff.

Anyhow, I'll be back after surgery and post again. Hope everyone is doing good.
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 10:58 PM   #6  
WW Moderator

Noodles, good luck on surgery if I don't meet up with you before then! I hope you will be recovered by Christmas. If they can do it laproscopic you should be in full swing in a week. At least that is what they told me. I'll keep my fingers crossed! My sister (Amy 3FC) is having her last ovary removed tomorrow. She's also getting abdominoplasty while she's at it. I guess this is surgery weekend!

Jenaya, nice to see you back again. GERD really kicked me in the butt. I finally have overcome it, so it's nice to not think I'm having a heart attack every night.

Mrs Ladybug, look in the PCOS articles section right above this forum. There are many good articles to choose from.

Quick link here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=125
Old 12-10-2004, 01:27 PM   #7  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

Hello, everyone.

Just wanted to jump in the old PCOS forum and see how everyone is doing.

Noodles: GL on your surgery...what will your health be like after the ovaries are gone? Does that mean PCOS is all gone then, and no more symptoms?

I had a fasting blood screening yesterday...hdl, ldl, triglycerides, glucose, blood pressure, etc...everything came out at the optimal level and I'm so relieved. I mean, I have been having this done once a year since diagnosed with PCOS, but I was worried...especially for the glucose.

Also, my periods have been very regular - I am charting my cycles but don't have to temp any longer because I get my period exactly when I predict for the past few months. I'm really glad about this because a couple years ago, I was skipping periods and such. Apparently, I am ovulating when I should be...I guess it's just a matter of catching the egg. Yep, we're TTC. I've been exercising a lot...not great with the food choices, but I'm not really dieting right now...just working on getting stronger and trying to eat more fruits and veggies. I'm in a kickboxing class and it's kicking my butt.

A nurse told me that PCOS is very much a metabolic problem...especially with my high testosterone...and she said that it might be less stressful for me not to focus on the scale as much as focus on keeping myself heart healthy and being fit. What do you guys think about this statement?

Girlie
Girlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:30 PM   #8  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

Default Oh, Mrs. Ladybug...

It was hard to explain things about PCOS to my family and husband, so I went to www.webmd.com and printed out some of the information there about symptoms, causes, treatment, etc. They found it very helpful, and so did I.

Just go to www.webmd.com and type PCOS in the search box.

Girlie
Girlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 06:28 PM   #9  
WW Moderator

Hi, Girlie! In some way I do agree with the nurse. I lose weight at such a slow pace, it's very .... well, depressing! So yeah, I make my number one focus on eating what is healthy for my body, and secondary losing weight. Hey, when it's a difference of one pound versus two pounds a month, why get all stressed out? I have a little fun. Not much, but enough to keep me sane and my spirits up.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:18 PM   #10  

Hi ladies,

Jennifer, did your GERD symptoms dissipate once you lost weight? It is yucky. My father died of stomach cancer so I am always a little freaked out when my digestive system acts up. I hope weight loss will resolve the problem.

Girlie, I believe pcos is very much a metabollic problem. We are more than a number on the scale so maybe the nurse who advises to focus on heatlhy eating, exercise and caring for ones heart is very wise in her words.

Take care,

Jenaya
Jenaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 10:55 PM   #11  
WW Moderator

My symptoms got 'lesser' after about 20 pounds, but it didn't go away. I had to take Prevacid for about 6 months before I had overcome it. My husband is not overweight and he is experiencing a lot of trouble with it. No fried food, no overeating, no smoking and no laying flat on my back was my best remedy, combined with medication and weight loss. I had to do a 180 to get relief. I still get heartburn at times, but it isn't severe.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:15 PM   #12  
Rattie Lover

Hi girls...

I'm home.

I just went through **** and back.

I go in for a day surgery and I wind up staying in the hospital for 3 days. The doctor went in with the camera but didn't get far and had to slice me open because he couldn't see through all of the scar tissue and adhesions. So now I have a giant slice across my belly.

He got in there and my ovaries were the size of tennis balls!! FULL of cysts. One ovary had grown over my colon and was actually surrounding it and squeezing it. No wonder I've been sick and hadn't been able to go to the bathroom right.

The other ovary was siitting on top of my bladder and pushing on it and thats where the peeing blood came from. Anyhow, he got those *******s out and also took out some of the lesions that were causing me problems and stapled me back up.

Well, you'd think this was the end of it right. Wrong! I started to run a fever..and it was hurting to breathe. My oxygen was low. They thought I had a blood clot or pnuemonia. They did that scan where they shoot dye up your body, and I also got chest X rays.

Well, it turned out both my lungs collapsed on the bottom!! The right one worse than the left. (I didn't even feel the left.) Talk about immense pain and agony! I felt like I had a broken arm and someone took the wind out of me. They put me on some sorta breathing treatments and oxygen to try to get them to re-inflate. They came in this morning at 3 am because my monitor went off and warned me that if this last treatment didn't show improvement, I'd have to get a chest tube. I FLIPPED and started bawling. I prayed my *** off that this would work because I did NOT want a chest tube. Well, guess what it worked!! My oxygen came back up to normal and the lungs finally decided to inflate down there. YAY!! SO I begged and pleaded and they made me wait until 4 PM to make sure I stayed stable, then I got to come HOME. I am SOoo tired...I will probbaly sleep for 2 days. I couldn't get hardly any sleep in there as it was with people in, people out, roommate had visitors from 6 am until 10 PM, people were coding down the hall, people crying and screaming, etc... I tell ya it was awful!

Well, thats my story for now. I'm all doped up so I figured I'd better check in before the dope wears off and I sleep for 2 days. So if ya dont hear from me again for a few days, it's because I went into hibernation.
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 10:28 AM   #13  
Swimming Mouse

:sniffle: Glad you're feeling better, Noodles. Virtual hugs only so we don't hurt you.

Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 01:53 PM   #14  
Getting back on track!

Hope you are feeling lots and lots better soon. What an ordeal!!!! xx
Annie-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:53 AM   #15  
Gotta move my Thang!

We're rooting for you, noodles! Keep your spirits up! (And have a good few days' sleep!)

I've had a medical issue too - sprained my ankle on Friday night. Seems trivial compared to your epic adventure, Noodles. The foot is an entertaining shade of purple now, but not a painful as it was. The unhappy thing is that I was really doing well with the exercise - usually six days a week, either weight training at the gym or doing a WATP tape at home for the last three weeks - and now I'm not able to do that until the end of the week, and I have to take it really slow. Knowing me, that's a "fall off the wagon" scenario if ever there was one! Sigh.

Noodles, I'm sending you "heal up easy" vibes right now! Take care of yourself,
Solarmama
solarmama is offline   Reply With Quote