Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2001, 11:11 PM   #1  

If you have 50 or more pounds to lose, this is the group for you! So jump on in and join; you'll be sure to get a warm welcome!
Old 05-02-2001, 11:29 PM   #2  

Rebecca, you are just doing SO well, wow, 2.7 pounds! And I really like your idea about writing down your reasons; you're right, that will be a great resource for you. And a size smaller shorts, too! Whooee!

Texaslady, so glad your dd is getting settled in her new house; what an exciting time for her! And you're right, let's keep New Orleans in mind for the future; it's a good "central" location, and there's lots to do there. Would also love to host another reunion here some day.

Patti, now they think the same man who kidnapped that girl in Slidell is the one who took another girl in Houston yesterday, and possibly the same one who kidnapped a San Antonio girl a few weeks back (she's home safe now). What a small and dangerous world we live in!

Had a busy but productive OP day today. Met with one of the teams I've been helping this year, and they gave me some lovely pink roses; really made my day. Used lunch hour to shop, and found a great swimsuit at Sam's for 1/3 of its list price; now just wish I had a pool.

Today has been a quiet day here; hope everyone's doing ok. Hi to Carol, Janet, Saara, Stamps, Liz,JOYce, Kendra, and Nancy & Nancy.
Regards,
Jan
Old 05-03-2001, 04:55 AM   #3  

Good morning all!
Patti, I'm glad you have a good attitude about your tiny gain- it'll be gone next week I'm sure. In fact, it probably already is!
Texaslady hooray for your dd!!How exciting!! You'll have to post a picture or 2 of her house! I'm glad she changed her locks- I wouldn't trust those squirrelly ex-owners with a key either!
Janthe Sugarloaf Crafts is just the name of a group- the fair moves from city to city. There are actual Sugarloaf Mountains, but being "athletically challenged" I'm not sure if they have skiing or not. I'm glad you enjoyed your mini-vacation- sounds wonderful, but you should have had the new bathing suit BEFORE the trip!! I'm glad you got some more clothes too- and size small too!!
Rebecca, WOW!! Congrats on your awesome 2.7 pound loss and the smaller size! And yup- the motel part of your trip sounds a lot better to me than the 40 mph winds part!
Janet, my friend, where are you? You are missed!!
Saara, have you recovered from May Day, or is it all still a work in progress?
Liz, how are things going for you?
Joyce, how are you feeling, and how are things going with your mom and your sister? Was the motorized cart a hit? I hope you are coninuing to relax and take care of Joyce!!
It looks like we've lost Kendra, TC Nancy and NJ Nancy! If you ladies are lurking, drop back in!!

What's up for the weekend for everyone? I have to babysit for a while on Friday after work. Then early Saturday morning a friend of mine is coming by to help me with "storage closet 101". I need to find something that's buried somewhere in there, and due to my "no bend, no stretch,10 pound lift" limitation I can't move the stuff. I figured since she volunteered and is willing, it'll be a good time to get the junk out of that closet too! My dd's dh was supposed to help me with this about a month ago, but....well, you know how that is! Anyhow, the rest of the weekend should be quiet. I'll be ready for quiet after hauling all the stuff out of that closet!
Well, work calls, so I'd better run. Have a great op Thursday, everyone!
Carol
Old 05-03-2001, 06:03 PM   #4  

Wow...it's hard to believe that we are on thread number 60!

Patti, I had just seen the report on "America's Most Wanted" about the kidnapped girl the night before you reported that she had been found. I don't usually watch that show, but it was on while I was working in the kitchen and I heard them talking about it and ran to watch. I am so thankful that they found her. I hope they catch her abductor before he hurts anyone else but, from what Jan was saying, it sounds like it may already be too late.

We had Krysten's last band concert Monday night. It was bittersweet! The "bad boys" played the new cadence for next year and it was one of my favorite parts. Each senior guard girl got a trophy and every band member got a plaque and a tape that had performances from all four years of high school. They usually win the state championship every year, so they had highlights of all those competitions. It brought back so many memories. The majority of these kids have been together for seven years...since the sixth grade...and I know they are going to miss each other.

We also pre-registered Krysten for college last Monday. I felt like a teenager again. Krysten and Tim asked me to go with them (and most of the freshman had their parents with them), but her counselor gave me "the look" every time I tried to answer a question that he asked her. He wanted her to do her schedule herself and I understood that (after a few moments...you know I'm slow and it takes me a few mintues to catch on). It's going to be so hard to let go after all these years of trying to protect her and guide her. Maybe they will let me move into the dorm with her. Don't y'all think that she would just love that!

Rebecca, congrats on your loss. I'm sure you already know this, but May 5th is National Scrapbooking Day. Your camping trip sounded wonderful to me. Fishing is one of my favorite things. There is nothing like being out on the water fishing as the sun is setting. Everything is so peaceful then. I like my conveniences, but I love to camp...I mean really camp and rough it. Of course, I can't wait to have a nice hot shower when I get home, but I love being outside. I don't get to do much of that anymore, but maybe I will have to change that.

Okay...Jan, Texaslady, Carol, and anyone else who wants to go...I am going to hold y'all to this New Orleans trip. I've said many times that New Orleans is one of my favorite places, and I would love to spend the weekend with y'all there. Maybe our kids will be more at ease this time since hopefully we have convinced them now that none of us are serial killers or criminals. That still cracks me up how they were ALL so fearful for us on our Texas trip. What a role reversal.

Texaslady, I agree with the others...I'm glad that your DD and SIL changed the locks on THEIR new house. The old owner doesn't sound very responsible, and I wouldn't want her to have free reign over my house either. I hope that you will be able to post some pics...along with the engagement pics.

Jan, I'm glad that y'all had a good time on your trip. I'm sorry that you didn't get to fish, but it sounds like you found plenty to do. I would love to be walking along the beach right now!!

Carol, my sweet friend. Thank you for always worrying about me. Hopefully, I will be able to start posting on a regular basis again soon. I'm ready for things to slow down a bit.

Saara, how were your May Day parties?? Write when you can. JOYce, I hope you are doing good and that your mom liked her new "toy." Your girls are probably winding down with their school too. When do they get out? Krysten only has seven more class days. She is so ready. One of her teachers had a "melt down" yesterday. I told her that I would have a melt down too if I had to deal with some of those kids.

Hi to everyone else I missed. We are going to DD's boyfriend's last concert tonight, so I've got to hit the road and get my video camera ready. Everyone have a great OP night!

Janet (Kudzu)

Last edited by Kudzu; 05-03-2001 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-03-2001, 07:43 PM   #5  
Inchworm

Just a quick note before i go AWOL.
Mother loves her new cart, or so I'm told, i haven't caught her in her room yet, to have her answer the phone!
I am not feeling well at all, so have to sit back and let others do it... I am scheduled for a Day surgery on Tuesday, ( a female thing) Hopefully, I will feel lots better after that..
I'll be thinking of you, just not saying a lot.
Maybe after I get this stuff taken care of, I will be able to lose some weight. I'll check in when I know more.

Oh, Melissa got her drivers license on her first try today! she is so thrilled, and now she can run errands for me while I recupperate!
Bye!

~~~~

Joyce
Old 05-04-2001, 11:17 AM   #6  

Oh JOYce, I am sorry that you are not feeling well. I hope your surgery goes just fine and that you are fit and fiddle again real soon! From what you said about catching your Mom in her room, I would say she likes that new cart just fine! We will be thinking about you and you check in whenever you can to let us know how you are doing!

Janet! Glad to hear from you again. Hey, I mean what I say about the New Orleans trip. It would be a blast! I know how you are feeling about the high school days coming to a close - it is wonderful and awful at the same time. One of the worse days of my life was when I drove away from the Freshman dorm my dd's first year in college to drive the 250 miles back home. We are very close (bet you didn't know THAT!) and my phone bills over the next four years certainly attested to it. I believed I talked with her about every other day - and they weren't short calls, either! And there were many many trips back and forth to Fort Worth. But we both survived - and you will, too. We both grew from the experience, but we have to let them fly on their own someday. But it IS hard! Of course, we never truly let them go - just extend their leash!

Carol - Where are you today? I miss your early morning post. Seems I remember you are keeping that darling baby today - does that mean you will have to work some this week-end. I don't envy you the closet cleaning but I bet you will find some old clothes that will give you a big laugh because they fit nearly 100 pounds ago but certainly not now. Probably will find lots of other stuff you haven't seen in a while, too! When you're done, maybe you and your friend would like to tackle mine??????

Jan - Awww, that was so sweet of them to give you the roses! Isn't it amazing how something unexpected can just brighten our day? Congrats on the new swim suit too. Wow, a pool at your place would be great - what a fantastic sunset view you would have every night! Why don't you and dh get one of those big above ground pools - you certainly have the room for it. The TV news here is concentrating on that guy they think has been snatching little girls from San Antonio to Louisiana, Have to admit the police sketches sure make it look like he's the same guy. Hope they catch the creep.

I will be staying at dd's tonight so she can drag me out of bed extra early in the morning to go help at the new house! They are lucky because they do have a couple months to get the painting done, bookshelves in, and get drapes hung. Oh, and the security guy is coming tomorrow too. But in her true "driven" fashion, my dd would like to get it all accomplished in one week-end! Of course, as soon as that's done, she will wanting to move from the apartment! More work! The previous owner is supposed to come get her stuff tomorrow too. So it will be a full day, I guess. Probably too much for this "old lady" but I will keep up as best I can!

Hi to Patti, Rebecca, Saara - everyone have a great week-end! It's certainly summertime here already.

Last edited by texaslady; 05-04-2001 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-04-2001, 11:47 AM   #7  

JOYce, sorry to hear you are having day surgery; hope you have a speedy recovery. Great news about Melissa's license, and on the first try; terrific! I'm so glad your Mom likes her cart, too; how wonderful that she's out of her room gallivanting around the place!

Janet, what fun that must have been with the band; wow, state champions over and over! That takes commitment from the kids, parents, director, everyone involved; being around folks like that is so energizing! Glad to hear you're a "go" for a New Orleans trip some day; that'll be a blast!

Carol, sounds like you have a busy weekend planned, at least thru Saturday. I'm glad you have someone to help you, so you won't be lifting heavy stuff. Cleaning closets reminds me of what Dorothy Parker said about writing, that she hated the writing part, but loved having written. Enjoy admiring your organized closet on Sunday!

Texaslady, we were posting about the same time today, looks like! (Am taking my mid-morning "tea break" too.) Sounds like your weekend is also booked up; how nice of you to do all that painting for your dd! Re: an aboveground pool, I've been trying to talk dh and Dad into that for a couple of years; maybe this will be the summer they'll go for it! (I'd "just do it," but unless they agreed, I'd end up doing all the maintenance myself!)

Saara, were the May Day parties fun? Was that special guy at any of them? I'm curious: what all did you serve your guests at the party you hosted? Any news yet on the university placement for next year?

I went to a ww mtg in SA yesterday; stayed the same, but at least it wasn't a gain. The topic this week was stuff other than the scale that lets you know you're succeeding, fortunately for me. Tomorrow, will be super busy helping at the museum benefit, a Classic Car Cruise. I'll be hosting the children's games (there are usually a few who ride along with their grandparents in those beautiful cars) and a flea market.

So, everyone have a great weekend, and let's all plan ahead so we can stay OP in spite of all the work! Hi to Liz, Patti, and Rebecca; how are your weekend plans shaping up?

Regards,
Jan
Old 05-04-2001, 06:15 PM   #8  

Happy Friday Everyone!

I just heard that the suspected serial kidnapper of the Louisiana girl (Lisa) and of the other two girls just shot himself. I didn't hear all the details, but he was stopped by police and the last kidnapped girl was with him but was able to escape. The police then surrounded his car. He got out, pointed a gun at his head and pulled the trigger. On top of having to cope with whatever abuse he had already inflicted on her, that innocent little girl had to witness his death. I think I heard them say that the kidnapper had taken all of his victims back home after keeping them for a few days. Is that what happened with Lisa? Did he just take her back to wherever he had kidnapped her from? I'm just glad that all the victims are now safe and sound at home.

JOYce, I'm so sorry that you aren't feeling like your usual chipper self. I hope that your surgery helps with whatever is ailing you. Just take care of yourself and let others take care of you for a change. That is great about Melissa getting her license on her first try and I know that she will be a huge help now that she can run errands for you. I remember "begging" to go fill up the car with gas...or run to the grocery store...I volunteered for everything that needed to be done just so I could drive, so I'm sure that Melissa will be more than happy to help. I chuckled when I read about your mom never being in her room when you call. I can just picture her scooting all over the place now!

Jan, those pool plans sound wonderful. I have toyed with the idea for the last couple of years, but I'm like you...I want to be sure that I will have plenty of help with the maintenance before I take the plunge...so to speak! I loved what Dorothy Parker said about writing...I feel that way about so many things. We will have to definitely plan that New Orleans trip next year. Think of all the great shopping we could do! I fill poorer just thinking about it! It sounds like y'all have a wonderful, fun-filled weekend ahead of you. Enjoy!

Texaslady, I'm holding you to the trip too. After spending time with you in Texas, I know that we would all have a great time in the Big Easy. I'm getting excited just thinking about all the places we could go and things we could do. You and Carol are inspiring me with all the projects you have going for the weekend. Your DD is so lucky to have you there to help her. I appreciate your words of wisdom about my DD graduating. It helps so much to hear from someone who has been through it. I especially loved what you said about how we never truly let them go...just extend their leash! I loved it!! Enjoy spending time with the kids.

Carol oh Carol, are you babysitting this afternoon?? I agree with Texaslady...I miss your daily posts! Have fun tomorrow cleaning out that closet...and spending time with your friend. We are going to have to fuss at that SIL of yours. I believe that is not the first project that he has offered to help you with where you have ended up having to get help elsewhere...seems I recall something about carpets. Just don't overdo this weekend. We don't want you flat on your back next week. I heard on the weather channel that it was hot up your way...even a little hotter than it has been here. Has it been that hot or did I dream that? It has been very pleasant here for the last week. Not too hot with bright blue skies. It is getting harder and harder to sit here, especially now that I have a window in my new office. I want to be OUTSIDE!!

Saara, how are you?? I know it's hard to find a computer, but TRY! We miss you!!!!

Hi to Patti and Rebecca...and to Kendra, Nancy and Nancy. Let us hear from you if you are still lurking out there somewhere. Did I forget anyone? Forgive me if I did.

I better get ready to leave. Have a great OP weekend!!

Janet (Kudzu)

Last edited by Kudzu; 05-04-2001 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-04-2001, 07:53 PM   #9  

Hi ladies! TGIF! Is everyone looking forward to the weekend? We've had such hot weather this week- up in the low 90's, which is not fun for early May, and the pollen count is about a billion and three! Not real pleasant for outdoor activities for those of us with asthma and/or allergies!
I worked 1/2 day today, and then picked up my little sweetie at the babysitters. I had him till about 6:30- lots of fun, but not back friendly!! He's so darned cute now, and just the happiest litttle guy you'd ever want to see. My dd and her dh took him to the photographer yesterday. She showed me the proof sheet- they really are cute! Can't wait till the finished photos come in!
Janet, I hadn't heard that the serial kidnapper shot himself- thank God that's over with, but I agree- that poor child who was with him at the time!! You'll really miss the band concerts when dd graduates- that was the hardest thing for me. My dd was in the marching, concert, symphony and jazz bands, and we went to all the concerts- and she had such a nice group of friends in them too. The jazz band was especially fun- she was the pianist, and the only girl in it, and all of them were so close because it was a real small group. It was like she had 6 or 7 or whatever it was big brothers. They were all so protective of her, and they critiqued her clothes and her hair, etc. And heaven help the guy who might make a pass or hurt her feelings! She and her now husband were dating then, and her jazz band "brothers" kept him in line! They are happy memories.
Joyce, I'm so sorry you have to have that surgery after all!! Hopefully it will make you feel so much better that you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner! Please take care- let others do for you for a change!! I'm glad your mom likes her cart- your comment about never being able to find her in now reminded me of a commercial they had a few years back for a cart called the Rascal! Congrats to Melissa on getting her license!
Texaslady, I know I haven't been posting as much lately- it's hard to explain. I do "lurk" though. My "closet 101" thing tomorrow isn't a clothes closet- been there, did those. It's a big storage closet with shelves full of heavy boxes and junk and old photos and heaven knows what else. There's something particular I need to find, and it's going to require moving everything- so I figure while I'm in there I'll clean stuff out and toss the ridiculous things I've saved for sentimental reasons. For example- every card my dh and dd ever sent to me(or me to them). And speaking of backs, be VERY careful of yours while you are helping dd and her dh to be with the move!!
Jan, it sounds like you're going to have a wonderful weekend- very hectic, but an enjoyable hectic. It would be nice if you could talk your dh and dad into the pool- it would be lovely for you. But am I remembering correctly that your dh doesn't like to swim? If so, he may be a hard sell!!!
Hi to Saara,Rebecca, Stamps, Liz and Patti. And Kendra, Nancy and Nancy, we miss you! Hope I didn't forget anyone!
Have a good weekend, everyone!
Carol
Old 05-05-2001, 06:53 AM   #10  

Hey, everybody!

I finally had a minute to myself and wanted to let everyone know I haven't disappeared from the face of the earth. My days have taken a life of their own and have not had a chance to even sign on to lurk.
The good news is that I lost 6lbs this week (still losing some of the weight that I put on duiring the last motivationally challenging period). The bad news is that I really missed reading all the posts and had to catch up this morning.

I saw that that little girl was found. Thank God. I agree, there are so many sicko's out there. I can't understand what motivates people to do the things they do.

Trip to New Orleans next year? Sign me up. I would love to meet each and everyone of you. Speaking of the south, I have to tell you about the customer from Mississippi that was in my class this week (I was training the customers again this week, not only have I decided that I love when I rotate through training, but I brought my own food so as to avoid the catered meals and stayed op all week!)
This wonderful gentleman had an accent so thick to this old northern gal's ears that at times I thought that I would need a translator. Turns out, he noticed my problem and decided that he would lay it on thick everynow and then just to tease me. And apparently he did the same thing at the resteraunt in New York when they were taken out on entertainment, when he was inquiring about whether "crawfish" was on the menu. Never knew crawfish had more than two syllables!

Hi to everyone, and everyone have a great weekend!
Old 05-05-2001, 09:51 PM   #11  

Liz, it is great to hear from you. We have really missed you...but what do you mean crawfish isn't more than two syllables?? I thought EVERY word was more than two...at least they are down here in Dixie!! Congratulations on your 6 pound loss. That is fantastic!!

I LOVED your story of the Mississippi gentleman. Where in Mississippi was he from? It's funny, but people in different parts of our state definitely have different accents...some much more pronounced than others. Of course, the first time I spoke to Carol on the phone, the first thing she mentioned was something about my suthn' drawl. I don't think I have an accent, but apparently I am VERY mistaken! We used to visit friends in New York when I was younger, and they delighted in asking me to pronounce different words for them. My last boyfriend was originally from New York, and he got a real kick out of that too. It also reminds me of a story about my daddy. He was on a business trip to New York once, and he and my mother were out that night at a very nice restaurant with some of their business associates. You would just have had to know my daddy, but he was very much a people person and never met a stranger. The waiter came to take their order and he mentioned tomatoes...that is tomatoe with an "ahhhhh" sound...as in tomahhhhhhtoe. Well, of course my daddy had to make a comment about them being called tomatoes...with a "long a" down here in Mississippi. The waiter started cracking up...it turns out that he was from some little dinky town here in Mississippi. He let his true accent come out then, and they ended up having a blast with him. I think the story lost something in my story telling, but I always loved that story when my daddy would tell it. He always made people laugh everywhere we went. He was such a joy and I have really been missing him lately. He was very wise, and I have really missed having his advice on things lately too. I started crying in the middle of a store the other night when I saw a girl with her father. It just hits me sometimes, even after five years. Speaking of tomatoes...do they have an "e" on the end. Where is "Dan" when you need him??

Carol, I hope you are okay after your day of work. My DD and I had so many errands to run today, and we ended up not doing any of them. It was just one of those "lazy" days...but that's okay because we both needed it. I haven't even eaten today yet. Just haven't felt like it. Weird huh? I think I will go grill some chicken.

Everyone have a great rest of the weekend. Tomorrow is our big building fund weekend at our church and then DD has a senior tea that we have to attend tomorrow. It's also her little brother's fifth birthday, but I didn't get invited to that!

Janet (Kudzu)

Last edited by Kudzu; 05-05-2001 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-07-2001, 07:11 AM   #12  

Morning everyone!

Janet,I loved that story about your father. He sounds like a wonderful person, someone who could make everyone feel at home no matter where he was!
I don't remember where he was from in Mississippi, except that it was a small town. And as for everyword having two syllables, I always thought that it was more proper to cut off the end of every word (e.g. "m goin t'stor or "how ya doin'"

I hope everyone else had a great weekend. It was a wonderful for yard work around here. After my last bout with poisen ivy I had this idea that I would slather on ivy block, cover myself from head to toe, and when I came inside for a break I would remove my clothes and immediately take a shower. I would change clothes completely and put the "poisen" ones in a garbage bag to bring to the laundromat.

I am happy to report I ended the weekend with not a single welt of poisen ivy and probably the cleanest person in New Jersey!

Have a great day everyone.
Old 05-07-2001, 09:40 AM   #13  

Happy Monday, everyone. Boy, this week-end flew by. It does sound like most of us had a nice week-end planned. The previous owner of dd's house came and finally got her stuff out on Friday night and Sat. a.m. and the alarm guy came Sat am and installed the alarm system. DD & fiance & friend of fiance's painted all week-end. I lined shelves, did the gopher runs back & forth to Home Depot for forgotten or extra paint and supplies & generally tried to make myself useful. I did a little trim painting but that's about it. The bad news is that it is taking 2 coats of paint on every wall - the good news is that it looks terrific so far (after a second coat). Apparently, home builders use very cheap clay-based paint when they put up a new home. So the clay in that paint absorbs whatever new paint follows and that's why the first coat is so streaky. So its taking twice as much labor in every room. I told them this won't be the first "homeowner" lesson hard-learned!

Well, Carol, did you get your project done? No post from you this morning so I hope you are at least "vertical" and didn't overdo with grandson and/or closet! Before I forget, I want to tell how much I enjoy the "funnies" you send me via e-mail - and JOYce sends me some too! Thanks. Sometimes they perfect for the moment.

Liz - Wow, congrats on the big loss! That's wonderful. We would LOVE to have you join another 3FC get-togehter in New Orleans! Wouldn't that be fun? And let me tell you that Janet most certainly DOES have a wonderful Southern accent - but, of course, I DON'T!
Glad you found a way to escape the poison ivy - sounds like it really worked. Now be sure to put your gloves back on before you pick up the clothes to put them in the washer!

About our serial kidnapper/child molester. The little girl he had with him was a local child. Our news here said she did not see the guy shoot himself. She had escaped and was quickly put into another officer's squad car and he told her to lie down on the floor of the car. He heard the shot as he drove away. So I believe she was spared that horror though she certainly has others to deal with.

Joyce - How are you doing? Check in when you can. We are all concerned about you. I just KNOW you aren't going to have any trouble getting help with the "car" errands now that Melissa has her license!

Jan - I think you really need to convince those guys in your life that a pool would be a wonderful addition to your property! How was your week-end? Sounds like such a fun time. You are involved in so many things - don't know where you find the time! Does your Dad accompany you? I bet he would love the Classic Cars. Reminds me of my Mom - I always tell her she has a "classic car" (1976 chevy!) in her garage which she drives every day! Of course, I know that's not the kind you are talking about -

Better get myself busy around here. Wish the week would pass as fast as the week-end! No such luck, though.
Old 05-07-2001, 10:31 AM   #14  

Hi everyone,

So you all know about the kidnapper, huh? It seems he had done this with several girls. When he returned Lisa he just bought her a bus ticket and sent her home. As soon as she stepped off of the bus in New Orleans everyone in the terminal recognized her. I know the guy took the easy way out, but at least the girls are spared the trauma of having to face him again in a courtroom.

Rebecca- I'm a little late, but congrats on your loss. Keep up the great work.

Janet - I just went on my last band trip. It was the State Symphonic Band competition. We didn't get sweepstakes. We got 2's onstage and we did manage to get a "1" for sight reading. That sight reading is amazing. This was my first time ever going into the room with them for this. It was awesome how talented these kids are. The march that they chose to do onstage kind of held them down. The other two selections - Crystals (this was amazing, they used alot of water for this one) and I think the other was "Images of Japan (this one was 14 minutes long and was the best I've ever heard them do) were really worth 1's. But DS absolutely had a ball. I was kind of sad watching all of the other seniors and knowing that I probably won't be seeing most of them anymore. One boy especially is going into the Army and I just kept watching him and wondering how his Mom must feel. My DS is just going to the University of New Orleans and will still be home, but I know she is going to miss her only child when he leaves. DS did take the video camera from me and got some great candid stuff that will be great memories for him. The only problem with the trip was that I had to eat fast food twice in one day and I NEVER eat fast food. I'll survive though.

Jan, Janet, TexasLady and Carol - Whenever you come to New Orleans - just let me know. I'd love to meet all of you. I really love playing tourist myself over here. It's so much fun in this city!

My son had his last day of school on 5/4. He is still in awe of the fact that he doesn't have to get up and go to school. I had already packed up all of his uniforms to get rid of them, but he caught me and said I have to keep one for him to wear to rehearsal on 5/17. The administrators seem to think they pay more attention when they are in uniform!! We went and picked out his tux this weekend - boy I haven't rented a tux in awhile - $119 and that doesn't include shoes!! It is a really nice one though, the 4 button style. All the while this is all going on I am working on scrapbooking and I'm doing pages of him when he was 3 & 4 and it is making me cry!!!

Joyce - good luck on your surgery! My prayers are with you.

Carol - My DS was in all of the same bands as your DS. It was alot of fun. I loved the football games and the Mardi Gras parades the most. I have lots of pictures and videos to preserve my memories. DS is going to try to get into the Pep Band and a wind ensemble(playing percussion of course) at UNO. They even give them a stipend for this. He didn't know to schedule it for the first semester though, so he'll have to wait until second semester.

And I'm sure all of you southern girls have your "GRITS"
T-shirts, right? You know, Girls Raised in the South. I love them!!!! Oh by the way, I didn't make it to Jazz Fest, but they say Saturday was a record - 80,000 + in attendance. DS was there, but was disappointed because he went to see the Dave Matthews Band and wasn't able to get anywhere near the stage. He did get a CD autographed for me of one of my favorite bands - Cowboy Mouth. They are local and are great!

Well, better go. I'll be back tomorrow with the weigh-in verdict. Keeping my fingers crossed after that darned fast food.

Take care,
Patti

Last edited by NawlinsLady; 05-07-2001 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-07-2001, 05:48 PM   #15  

Janet, I know just what you mean about accents; the Canadians we met last summer in Nova Scotia were far too polite to outright laugh, but they got a real kick out of our Texas accents. (So much so, that like Liz's acquaintance, DH started laying it on a bit thick!) Like you, I didn't think I had an accent at all (having grown up in Mass.) but I guess I do after all. Loved your story about your Dad and the waiter; can just picture that! I know you must treasure these wonderful memories.

Carol, you're right, DH doesn't like swimming if it's over his head (since he nearly drowned in a rice field canal when a child) but he does enjoy splashing around in a pool. Will just have to keep bringing it up until the guys think it was their idea all along! Did you find what you were looking for in that storage closet? Hope your back is still ok!

Liz, WOW, 6 pounds!! That's just wonderful! All the planning ahead you did to avoid the catered food really paid off, didn't it? Glad to hear you're "in" for the New Orleans idea; we just have to make that happen!

Texaslady, that painting and running errands sounds like a lot of work, but I'll bet it earned you lots of exercise points, too! Re: the car cruise, it went really well, even though it did rain like crazy towards the very end of the event. Everyone was good-humored about that, though, and we just moved them all inside the various museum buildings to finish their bbq. They brought more kids with them this year, so we had lots of fun at the kid's corner making Indian headbands, beaded bracelets, and playing a game. Dad came out for a while and had some bbq, and visited with old friends. And of course the cars were fantastic; everything from Model T's to classic Corvettes.

Patti, the band trip sounds great; what a talented group! How wonderful that your ds is attending college nearby. And don't worry about the fast food; I'm sure you made good choices, and that your wi will go well. And yes, we definitely must arrange to meet all together when the New Orleans shopping trip comes together!

Had one of my teacher teams over for lunch today, 8 people. Made a lowfat chicken enchilada casserole, squash, brown rice & pepper dish, and pintos. Fat free brownies for dessert. It all turned out well, if I do say so, but it was interesting to see the amounts people ate. They knew it was lowfat (since absolutely everyone there says he/she is trying to lose weight, I had mentioned that) yet everyone except my friend who joined WW and I went back for seconds. (I always cook about twice as much as I think I'll need when I have people over, thank goodness.) A fairly large serving of everything, including a brownie, was 10 points for the whole lunch, but I'd say most averaged 20-25. Do you think people eat more if they know it's lowfat? I seem to remember reading something about that. Anyway, I thought it was interesting, and it reminded me that portion sizes are incredibly important.

DH is grilling shark tonight; we have to call it "mahi mahi" in front of Dad, who isn't into what he thinks are exotic foods. But I think he's catching on to us on this one! We're grilling a few oysters for Dad too, though; the mesquite wood really does a good job with oysters.

Hi to Saara, JOYce, and Stamps; hope you had a good weekend! Hope all goes smoothly for you tomorrow, JOYce; I'm sure it will!
Regards,
Jan
Closed Thread