Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-05-2004, 01:24 PM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Fear of the flat bench

I know this may sound like a funny thing, but I fear laying down on a flat bench because I won't be able to get up without either falling off or doing something else goofy. I know my big belly, big body, lack of balance and lack of abdominal strength are factors in my fear. So all the exercises that I tend to do on the bench tend to be inclined or sitting straight up. Does anyone have any tips on trying not to make a fool of myself and using a flat bench?

I was thinking of using a ball as my "bench" for a few exercises because I can roll myself up on a ball.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 02:00 PM   #2  
Mel

LOL! Sorry, but I am the PERFECT person to answer this one. I have no abs. None! I had a tummy tuck with extensive muscle repair 12 weeks ago, and altho I've been back in the gym since week 3, I still can't get off a flat bench. Since I'm a trainer, this can be really embarrassing. So here's what I do for my own workouts: I drag a second flat bench over to where I'm working and set it against the bench I'll be lying on, at a slight angle so I have room for my legs to be off the bench. I use the second bench to push off with my hand or elbow, and sit up. I discovered this after the first time I did a chest workout post-surgery. Had no problems doing the exercise, but the I realized there was no way in the world I could get up again. I just lay there laughing (painful) until the gym manager came over to find out what was so funny. LOL! ME!
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 02:13 PM   #3  
Meg

Nelie -- good suggestions from Jack and Mel. I just want to add that I'm so impressed with what you're doing! I know exactly how you feel about working out when you're big -- when I first started in a gym there were machines I didn't fit on and exercises that I couldn't do because of my size and lack of balance. But as you've discovered, all those issues can be worked around instead of being used as excuses not to exercise.

One of the coolest things about the process of losing the weight was discovering all the new things that my body COULD do as the pounds came off -- simple things but ones I had never been able to do: first, reaching behind me for my leg in a quadriceps stretch, then doing one crunch, getting off a decline bench, doing a squat or a lunge, then a real pushup (mens) and finally a pullup.

You've got a great attitude, Nelie, and I just know you're going to succeed with your weight loss!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 02:44 PM   #4  
Just Me

Thank you guys for your suggestions and support. Jack, I'm not talking about bench presses, or if I am, they are dumbbell presses so I don't have a spotter. Actually what initiated this was trying to do a tricep exercise. In general, I don't worry too much about making a slight fool of myself but I think people would notice the big girl rolling off the bench and plopping onto the floor. I could perhaps make it look like I meant to do it but don't know how well I could pull that off Though I think i'll go with Mel's tip of pulling another bench or something else stable near me so I can use that to get up.

I have noticed that I am able to get up better when I'm doing exercises on machines that are flat (but they have things I can push off of so I can get myself up). The only thing that I wish I could do is the leg curl machines but my big belly tends to get in the way and the machines where you lay down are just way too uncomfortable. In order to compensate, I've just tried to get creative with exercising my hamstrings.

Thanks again guys.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:56 PM   #5  
solitas...lacuna

Hey Nelie! We're really close in weight to each other. I understand totally what you are talking about and I have a secret to it. Before I lay down I wrap my legs in the legs of the bench and ease myself down. When I want to get up I roll a little to the side using my legs (wrapped around the legs of the bench) to stabilize me. I don't try going straight up, it's more of a roll. Anyway, with my legs wrapped in a death grip as they are I can't fall off so if I get in an awkward position, I just fall back and try again. If what I am saying makes no sense I'll suck it up and take a picture. Let me know!
The Lumpy Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 03:00 PM   #6  
solitas...lacuna

Now, if you can tell me how to keep my shorts from riding up my thighs when I am on the treadmill or elliptical we'll be best friends.
The Lumpy Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 03:23 PM   #7  

Hi Nelie!

You rock sista! Your in there doin' it and that's all that matters
I don't have any advice about the bench situation but don't worry about the people in the gym. Their all too busy lookin' at themselves to worry about you sweetie

Blessings
XOXO
L2L
luv2lift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 03:23 PM   #8  
Just Me

Well since I'm always looking for friends, my secret is pants There are also those "close fitting" shorts (I have bought them in the past from Champion) that are almost at the knee, those don't tend to ride up.

Actually, recently, I made a vow to myself that I would never wear shorts on the elliptical because I was doing my normal weight training on a machine that had good visibility of the elliptical machines. There was a girl, probably weighed 130 or so, she was skinny but not very tone. Anyway, as she really got going, I noticed that the back of her thighs seemed to move from one side to another kind of like a wave of fat and it scared me. The thought crossed my mind of me up there with my fat waving to everyone in sight.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:28 PM   #9  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie
Actually, recently, I made a vow to myself that I would never wear shorts on the elliptical because I was doing my normal weight training on a machine that had good visibility of the elliptical machines. There was a girl, probably weighed 130 or so, she was skinny but not very tone. Anyway, as she really got going, I noticed that the back of her thighs seemed to move from one side to another kind of like a wave of fat and it scared me. The thought crossed my mind of me up there with my fat waving to everyone in sight.

At least it's waving GOOD-BYE!!!

PS -- I used to wear stretchy Lycra capris.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:43 PM   #10  

i always wear sweatpants to the gym. the shorts ride up, uncomfortable and funny looking. and when i'm stretching my legs i don't have to be careful to be facing the wall .

don't worry about looking foolish at the gym just do your thing.

i was on the crosstrainer the other day and it occurred to me that what i was doing was very strange and silly. i had to stop thinking about it because it was just too surreal. then i thought "this is just like sex, if you think about what the **** you are doing it all starts to seem very silly." then you're prone to stop. which is not good in either case.

so keep moving no matter what it is
gen
gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 03:46 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Nelie,

I totally agree with Jack. Nobody will be watching or caring about how you look. They are typically too busy trying to hide their own goofs like when I put down the dumbbells and one rolled across the floor and tripped another person or like either of the times when I was running around the track, fell and slid like I was stealing home base, or like the time when I walked straight into the bar on an incline press machine and almost busted my temple open. Yep, us gymrats can be pretty goofy but we get there and that's what counts.

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 03:55 PM   #12  
Meg

OMG, Tiki -- I walked into the end of an Olympic bar too and had a perfectly round circle bruise smack dab in the middle of my forehead for a week! But I do believe that Mel is the of gym mishaps.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:24 PM   #13  
Mel

Thanks Meg I wear my scars proudly as I limp, stumbling and tripping through life.

ps- I also spend more time there during which to fall over, drop, or walk into immovable objects.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 09:45 PM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

Oh, that damn bar stickin' out from the inclie press is an accident just waiting to happen... It hasn't happen to me YET, but I can see it coming...

Nel, hang in there, no one is looking...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote