Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 03:29 PM   #1  
Rattie Lover

Exclamation 10 Foods You Should NEVER Eat...

I got this today from a friend of mine...WOW. Who would of thought 1 doughnut had 10 grams of fat?!

Read all 10 by clicking the link below...

http://www.cspinet.org/nah/10foods_bad.html
Old 06-16-2004, 03:34 PM   #2  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Thanks for sharing Noodles!

Phew! Thank goodness I don't like any of that stuff anyway!
Old 06-16-2004, 05:22 PM   #3  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

I'm not too good with numbers, but I seem to remember that you can eat 12 WHOLE angel food cakes and still not get the fat in one doughnut! Why do they have to taste so darn good???
Old 06-16-2004, 06:27 PM   #4  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

thank god i don't eat any of those . but i used to love bugles and never realized just how bad they were.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:28 AM   #5  

This is where reading the labels comes in handy. But eating out is another matter. You really have to ask a lot of questions. Actually, 2 soft-boiled eggs plus 2 pieces of toast plus Canadian bacon or low-fat chicken sausage wouldn't be too bad.

But the way they make bacon today is nasty. You know, they are allowed to feed pigs shredded newspaper soaked with corn syrup. When my grandmother kept pigs, they ran around the farm all day and were fed corn. Result: much leaner, better-tasting bacon. Factory farming is a disaster, IMO.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:18 AM   #6  

seek, and that is one of the many reasons that i think vegetarian is better. it just burns my consciounsce <sp? too early a.m. for me, lol) everytime i eat meat knowing how animals are treated for profit. grrrrrrrr
Old 06-17-2004, 09:13 AM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

NO BUGELS OR DONUTS........... sasssafrass !!!!

Those WOW chips are N-A-S-T-Y, wouldn't go near them w/a ten foot pole. When they first came out they warned people about it going thru your system like a race car and robbing your body of vitamins. Not worth it for sure. But I see them on the store shelves and lot too.

Give me the good old fashion deep fried............... just kidding
Old 06-17-2004, 09:19 AM   #8  

A list of yucky "food."

Well, to me, at least, it all looks very unappetizing. And that last thing, the Dennys Grand Slam? How could anyone eat all that at one sitting? Without also downing some Tums or Pepcid or something?

Old 06-17-2004, 11:11 AM   #9  

That is disgusting Seek!

I try to buy organic or free range when I can - I am trying to incorporate more of a veggie lifestyle into my plan and I am slowly working on this.

In buying organic and/or local produce you are also helping local farmers out

There are also strict regulations in place ( in Canada - I don't know about the U.S.) as to what can be certified organic.

We all need to support the farmers in both our countries - Hooray for farmers!!!
Old 06-17-2004, 11:24 AM   #10  

Yep, go organic. And Noodles has a new post on the PCOS sub-forum about pesticides and PCOS. I tell you, I am sold on organic. And there are standards here for "certified organic" although they have been under attack lately. Time to start a garden.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:35 AM   #11  

That is great Seek - I wasn't sure what the regulations were in the U.S. good to know that they do have standards there too.

My dad told me that he read in an article that if you buy nothing else organic then at least buy the peppers - apparently there is more pesticide residue on regular peppers than any other vegetable

If consumers start taking an interest in these things and start demanding them then the market for them will grow and there will be a wider range of products more readily available for everyone. And we can help to decrease the use of harmful chemicals in our foods and the marketing of "Frankenfoods".

BTW- what is up with that orange cauliflower that they are bringing out?
Does it taste like cheese or something?
Old 06-17-2004, 04:00 PM   #12  
Rattie Lover

Now I'm glad I buy most of my fruits and veggies at the swap meet from the local growers. What I don't buy from them I get at Safeway and I still wash everything that needs to be washed with mild soap and water.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:47 PM   #13  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hey, that orange cauliflower is actually really good for you! It was around over 30 years ago and because we like everything to be white...the white variety became more popular. The orange kind has more beta carotenes and is therefore actually healthier than the "regular" variety. I love heirloom veggies...so cool!

I totally agree about buying organic and getting produce from local growers you can trust. I especially feel that way about meat...has anyone see the forwarded cartoon "The Meatrix"? It is awesome...all about factory farming and the problems with it! I actually drink organic milk because of my fear of developing Crohn's from the regular milk. There is a huge article on it at the PETA website.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:24 PM   #14  

Oh- it is an heirloom vegetable...I didn't know that! I just saw a blurb about them on the front of the newspaper the other day - thought they were like the broccoflower thing
Old 06-20-2004, 12:35 PM   #15  

Laurie my teacher posted a link for the Meatrix in my nutrition class sure makes you think.
Closed Thread