PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-29-2004, 09:04 PM   #1  

Question Hi :)

Hello everyone,

I've been reading the forums for a while now but just recently registered because people are so friendly and helpful here.

I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 in 2001, and then PCOS in 2002. My doctor tried putting me on norethindrone acetate for my periods which didn't seem to help and finally put me on megace (megestrol acetate). Is anyone taking this too? The side-effects are increased appetite and water retention, 2 things I really don't need for losing weight.

I've also had many problems with doctors btw, military doctors especially (my father was military). I currently have a great primary care and ob/gyn doctor, they are very supportive of me.

My primary care doctor just put me on glyburide for my diabetes (3x a day) and I wonder if glucophage would be better? I see him on the 11th of May and I wanted to get a lot of input from everyone here.
Celeskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 09:37 AM   #2  
Rattie Lover

Welcome, Celeskitty!!

Glad you're here with us!!

I did a little research on your Glyburide that you are taking. Here's what I found:

GLUCOVANCE™ (Glyburide and Metformin HCl Tablets) contains two oral antihyperglycemic drugs used in the management of type 2 diabetes, glyburide and metformin hydrochloride.

Glyburide is an oral antihyperglycemic drug of the sulfonylurea class. The chemical name for glyburide is 1-[[ p -[2-(5-chloro- o -anisamido)ethyl]phenyl]sulfonyl]-3-cyclohexylurea. Glyburide is a white to off-white crystalline compound with a molecular formula of C 23 H 28 ClN 3 O 5 S and a molecular weight of 494.01. The glyburide used in GLUCOVANCE has a particle size distribution of 25% undersize value not more than 6 µm, 50% undersize value not more than 7-10 µm, and 75% undersize value not more than 21 µm.

Metformin hydrochloride is an oral antihyperglycemic drug used in the management of type 2 diabetes. Metformin hydrochloride ( N,N -dimethylimidodicarbonimidic diamide monohydrochloride) is not chemically or pharmacologically related to sulfonylureas, thiazolidinediones, or (alpha)-glucosidase inhibitors. It is a white to off-white crystalline compound with a molecular formula of C 4 H 12 ClN 5 (monohydrochloride) and a molecular weight of 165.63. Metformin hydrochloride is freely soluble in water and is practically insoluble in acetone, ether, and chloroform. The pKa of metformin is 12.4. The pH of a 1% aqueous solution of metformin hydrochloride is 6.68.

It sounds like that the glyburide you are taking already has some Glucophage in it. (Metformin is the generic name for Glucophage.) How are you feeling on this?? I wouldn't recommend switching to just glucophage until you see how the Glyburide works for you. Sometimes it takes 6-8 weeks for certain drugs to get into your body and do their thing, so give it a chance. I had to do this with Celebrex for my arthritis. I was so mad! I wanted it to work right away...not in 2 months, but I am glad I stuck with it and let it kick in. Now I can't imagine life without it.

Feel free to pop in our Monthly gab area!! And thanks for posting!!
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 02:43 PM   #3  

Thanks for the info

Right now I don't feel any different, when I started taking it months ago just one a day I didn't feel any different either. My blood glucose has gone down quite a bit since taking it 3x a day but I've also cut a lot more sugar out of foods and such so that might contribute to that. I guess I have to wait a little longer.

I looked up Megace on WebMD and it doesn't say anything about using it for PCOS and I haven't heard anyone talk about taking it for PCOS here. Am I the only one?
Old 04-30-2004, 04:53 PM   #4  

Hello Celeskitty I just wanted to say hello. I dont have any advice to give since I am new to pcos. I am sure you will get some good advice here.
dowsx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 07:26 PM   #5  
Rattie Lover

Hmm..I have never heard of Megace being used for PCOS. It is more used as appetite stimulant for anorexics/HIV patients. It is also used for breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body.

Here are some links I found on it...

http://www.aegis.com/pubs/gmhc/1991/GM050910.html

http://www.hivdent.org/drugs/MEGESTEROL.htm

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic2/megestr.htm

Apparently there is a BIG RISK of an abortion/miscarriage if you take it while pregnant. Sounds like a powerful yet risky drug. Sounds too risky for me, but that's just my own personal opinion.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:14 PM   #6  

The only thing I could think of my doctor giving me this is the progesterone in it. I've been taking it for 2 years now and I really believe it is hindering me from losing weight. How am I supposed to lose weight when this stuff makes me hungry constantly? ;p
Old 04-30-2004, 08:46 PM   #7  
Rattie Lover

Exactly!! It's giving you the munchies!! How are ya suppose to lose weight when you take a pill that tells your body to eat..eat..and eat more??
I had the same problem with Predisone. Man...talk about munchie heaven. I was constantly eating...crunching...chomping... I gained 30 pounds in a month!! I wont ever take that again unless I reallllly need too.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:08 PM   #8  

Here's a bit of an update:

My ob/gyn doctor switched me to northindrone acetate, which it turns out I was taking this before I went on megace. I'm not sure if she remembers putting me on this before.

My regular doctor put me on glucophage finally, he didn't know why I wasn't on it before.

Thank you for the links for megace, it really helped me when I talked to my doctors