Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 07:03 AM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 year olds #10

Time for a new thread. Thanks Lily-I did it. I was looking in the wrong place for the new thread button.

Welcome back Slavika.

Glenda it's good to hear about your bp and getting off the meds. Good weigh loss too.

Maria you are losing too. Happy for both of you.

I'll be back later. Have to get ready for a fasting blood test this morning - just routine. I am so hungry and thirsty-can't wait for that first cup of coffee afterward.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/136/128

Default Hey, it's Wednesday already!

Hi all

Glenda and Maria Congratulations on the weight loss. You should be very proud.

Trudy and Karen I think I'll look into the Lubriderm. Can you use it on your face? That's where my skin is the dryest. I did get the Olay Serum and the L'O'real cream and use them. Maybe I just haven't done it long enough. I know I do not have the excema though, and that must be painful.

Karen next time you come down let me know and I can at least give you my phone number and we can chat. Hope you are getting some relief.

Ann I bet it's lonely with your friends gone. But you sound like you keep pretty busy, anyway.

Slavika I have fabric "in the wings" waiting for me to start a quilt: Martha Washington Star. I have an eye appointment next Tuesday - and I'm sure I'm getting bifocals, so I think I'll wait until the new prescription is ready. How about you, are you working on anything? Tea with Trudy, for sure!

Lily I think I told you I was reading Dr. Phil's book. It really makes sense for me. My eating involves more than gaining weight and trying to lose it again! I'm pretty much an emotional eater and I'm doing all the "homework" in the book to get to the bottom of it. 2 weeks ago at WW, I told the weigher I wasn't doing too well. She said: "If Food didn't cause it, Food won't fix it." I typed it up and put it on my refrigerator. I think it's helping. Thanks for your continued encouragement.

Peggy Nice going starting the thread! Maybe I can even try it at some point.

So all the news right now is Gay Marriages, Martha Stewart, McDonald's "downsizing" and March Madness. Of course, St. Patrick's Day, too. Being full blooded Irish I plan to celebrate with a jig or two. I'm sending cards to my family with a Chicken Wild Rice recipe on it. I'll try to duplicate it here.

Chicken Wild Rice Soup

2 cups heavy cream
2 cups cooked diced chicken
2 cups wild rice cooked
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1 cup onions
1/2 oz butter
1/2 oz flour
Toasted almond flakes (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

In a heavy bottom saucepan sauté the vegetables in a little oil on a low to medium heat for 3-5 minutes until it starts to soften. Be careful not to brown the vegetables.

Next add the chicken stock and simmer until the vegetables are just cooked. In another saucepan melt the butter and add the flour to make a roux. Add the remainder of ingredients to the stock vegetable mix, adding the cream last.

Bring to a boil add the roux slowly, whisking. If you like your soup thicker you may need to add more roux mixture. Bring mixture to a rolling boil, stirring all the time.

The soup is ready to serve or allow to cool a little before storing in the refrigerator.

Chef Howard at the Pool & Yacht Club, Lilydale.

PS: Only for a special occasion, of course!

I'll see ya later -

Marnie
Old 03-10-2004, 02:55 PM   #3  
Life Time 2001

Maria: If the seller had good feed back then Im sure you will get it. I also think Ebay has a complaint deptpartment to if you dont. Your doing great with you new eating plan! 7# is awesome!

Trudy: I havent given up all meetings. Just the Sat ones. I still do 2 meetings a week. And Im gonna stick to that. I use Lubriderm to. Its very good.

Peggy: Hate when you have to fast, and cant have any coffee. I dont drink that much but I need that first cup Glad you figured out how to start the new Thread!

Marnie: Glad Dr Phils book is helping you. The Weigher was right, If Food didn't cause it, Food won't fix it. Im making Corn Beef this weekend for St Pats day. Love it! Have to do a small bit of Cabbage cuz Hubby wont eat it Your recipe looks good!

I think Spring is finally coming here! Yeah. We have had wonderful weather lately. And its feels like its time to put the sweaters away. Course now that I said it, it will rain
Old 03-10-2004, 06:32 PM   #4  

G'day all,

Lovely cool day here today.

MArnie what good advice "If Food didn't cause it, Food won't fix it." Very true, I am sure. It is amazing how much there is still to learn about ourselves

Peggy Hope the results of your fasting blood test were OK.

Lily I hope you are right about the Ebay thing. We have bought a few things and I have also bought a few books through Amazon and all have been OK but we still feel a little nervous until it has arrived. The exchange rate for our dollar to the American dollar is so favourable now that it really is worth while buying over the net.
When we go 4x4 wheel driving, we have maps on my laptop which is connected to our GPS (Global Positioning System), it is fantastic how it all works but annoying to have the laptop on your lap. Two weeks ago dh bought an 8" touch screen from Ebay which he will mount on the dashboard and we no longer will have to travel with laptop on our laps!
We received the screen within 4 days from a supplier in Hong Kong. It works a treat though we have not tried it out in our car yet. The small screen is very clear and being a touch screen (it reminds me of using a palm) it is so simple. We (dh ) now has to work out how we are going to connect it all up in the car
As you can tell, we do like our gadgets!!

HAve a great day all,
Cheers
Maria
Old 03-11-2004, 09:49 AM   #5  
Fun Blonde

All, I have been having a problem with my skin too. I have two fingers right now in a bandaid because of tiny little splits. I have been using that "anti-aging" stuff at Bath and Body which costs an arm and a leg and I am still getting old, and worse yet, have splits in my fingers. Think I will go back to Aveeno. I was just thinking about how vain I am and how I am always hoping something miraculous will make this skin quit wrinkling. Yeah, right!

Peggy, those fasting tests are sort of hard. I have such a ritual in the morning. I am off all caffeine, but my 2 cups of coffee in the morning. I get up early, the coffee has already made and I have 2 eggs, 2 light bread toasts and my coffee. It is a wonderful quiet time and I play with my dogs. If I had to give that up one morning, my whole day would be skewered, you know?
Glenda
Old 03-11-2004, 10:04 PM   #6  

G'day all,

Glenda that sounds and I am sure it is, soooooo painful. Your breakfast routine sounds quite idyllic.
Just watched another one of Dr.Phil's weight challenge shows.....his common sense is so refreshing. I am sure he would recommend a peaceful breakfast like yours to everyone!

Canada was on our news service for all the wrong reasons, we heard and saw the thug that broke the neck of the player of the opposing side in an ice hockey game. It was just horrendous. How can a thug, who had been suspended before for his violent behaviour, be allowed to play the game again
The bomb blast on trains in Madrid was yet another senseless act.
It is difficult to comprehend the mentality of the perpetrators.

I am reading a book at the moment by Bill Bryson called 'made in America'. It is really a bit of a history of how all the names, sayings, customs etc. came about. It is very interesting and written in quite a witty style.

Have a collage to do for a 50th wedding anniversary, so must be off.

Cheers
Maria
Old 03-12-2004, 08:01 AM   #7  

Good Morning,

Maria I am going to have to look up that book. Soundsl like something I would like to read.You remind me of my bil with all your toys and gadgets. This newest one sounds awesome. You travel in style.

Glenda this is the time of the year for those finger cracks in your cuticles. They are very painful. I use a lot of lotion on my hands but I still get them. Your morning routine is so nice and peaceful. Makes a nice start to the day. Have to go to the bath and body store this morning so I will look for those products. I like the shea butter stuff they have for your feet.

Marnie my great grandmother came from Ireland. Do you do the corned beef and cabbage thing? That soup sounds really good-I would probably substitute something less fattening for the cream. Love that quote and it is oh so true.

I am off and running this morning. Have some shopping to do and might do a little mall walking before the stores open. Haven't been there in a while and there are some new ones to window shop in.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:19 PM   #8  

G'day all,

Another glorious autumn day, I just love autumn and spring. We are putting the clock back at the end of the month, it is very dark in the morning and we seem to be sleeping in like we have never done before! Once daylight saving stops we really know summer is over.

It must be your climate that cause the painful cuticle cracks etc. that Peggy and Glenda speak of, I have very dry heels that need HEAPS of moisteriser but that is about all.

Loved Marnie's email today, very cute!

The collage I am putting together was requested by a 69 year old lady whose son plays cricket with mine. She came yesterday with all the photos.
The collage is for a couple in England who celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary in June. She started corresponding with the lady in England after the war. Food parcels were send from Australia to England, with each parcel the name of the family/person who put it together was send as well and that is how the lady in England as a 12 year old started writing to the lady here in Australia. I thought it was a lovely story and the collage is coming along nicely. The photos I am using are the photos that she send over the years to Australia. Love all this sort of stuff, the photos are in amazingly good condition, faded a little but are coming up well with a few 'tweeks'.

I am going to a 50th birthday tomorrow. A 'girl' I used to work with and have not seen for some time. She is dismayed and cannot believe she is turning 50, I told her it could be worse I am turning 59 in a couple of weeks time . What is age as long as you keep healthy.

Hope you all have a great weekend.......

Cheers
Maria
Old 03-12-2004, 05:25 PM   #9  

G'day again!

I noticed Karen posted on our previous post so I am 'cutting & pasting' her last post here, I will email her and let her know what I have done....

Maria great job on losing 7 pounds I say any weight that gets a minus sign in front of it is a good loss. My printer is still working strange isn't it?

Trudy I will buy the lotion you talked about. I'n using Neutrogena this wek and is is giving some releif. What is the nae of the cortisone cream that u are using? My hands always seem better in the morning after a night of heavy cream and wearing gloves but as soon as I wash face in the morning they get all scaly again.YUK I do try to stay out of water for that reason. But a very hard trick since i'm always in the bathroom!

I'm glad this week is over And i can go back to my regular days. And now I've given up one more meeting to the new leader so I"m down to 5 instead of 6 meeting in those 2 day's. This lady is going to be the one who takes over the brainerd area for me when I leave. Now I am still looking for some one to take over the other 2. Have one possiablty but she is kind of iffy, We'll see how it goes.

Well enough for now I'll talk to you guys later.

Karen

Cheers
Maria
Old 03-12-2004, 05:43 PM   #10  
Net browser

Hi Everybody

Marnie I tried your soup recipe yesterday but substituted the heavy cream to make it a little more "weight watcher" friendly. We enjoyed very much for dinner last night with some fresh buns.
When I was away in Maui my skin and hair felt so nice, I even managed to grow my finger nails to a decent length. I think I was home two days and my skin was dry, my finger nails were breaking off........LOL LOL and my tan was running down the shower drain.
The news is just terrible the last few days. Almost 200 people killed in Spain, hundreds more have been injured. What is wrong with people?? Maria that hockey player who beat the other fellow while playing hockey should not be allowed to play again. That's not playing a game. There are a lot of young children who watch hockey and who go to the games and this is certainly not sending a very postive message to them. It's sad, very sad!
We still of lots of snow but it is dirty looking and I can hardly wait for it to be gone. There's Maria going into fall and we are hoping that soon there will be signs of spring. I got sort of caught up on all my house work today, so I feel good about that. There's always more to do, but I will not go looking for it. My big thing now is that I have to do something about getting those new curtains for the living room and dining room. It was lovely seeing the gals at Tea Time and then on Wednesday I went out with my friend for shopping and lunch and that was great too. Hope you all have a nice weekend, and I'll talk to you soon. Bye for now.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:12 AM   #11  

Maria thanks for moving my post. Boy I have been out of the loop for a while. It was good to catch up with all of you again. Coffee in the morning is at the top of my list. The best part of my morning is my one cup of coffee and i really enjoy it.

Was at the eye doctor today for a exam and I knew one of the plugs in my tear ducts was gone and was right about that,so he put in another. My eyes have change some so I'm getting new glasses. The rimless kind and smaller than I've ever had. I'm excited because they really blend in with my face almost not there at all. Really a change for me. But boy are glasses spendy

Well just wanted to check in . I need to go to bed still haven't caught up on my sleep after this week of working.

I'll check in again over the weekend.
Karen
Old 03-13-2004, 11:12 AM   #12  

Default Hello All:

It's Saturday and we're getting sleet mixed with rain, but it's suppose to get to 47, so everything should melt quickly.

Trudy I'm glad the recipe worked. I thought "heavy" cream needs to be substituted, too.

Karen I'm going to the eye doctor again on Tuesday. Last time he used the words "cataract" and "glacoma" and said it is an "age" thing. I'm hoping there is no pressure behind my eyes on Tuesday. Hope your skin is healing. Like Trudy said, all we'd have to do is move to Hawaii and everything would be cured!

Maria You'll know more about the US than I do. I think it's amazing that you are planning such an inclusive trip.

Peggy Both sets of grandparents came from Ireland. We will celebrate on Wednesday with Irish stew rather than corned beef. I'm not a fan of corned beef.

We're heading off to do errands.

See ya later - Marnie
Old 03-14-2004, 11:30 PM   #13  

G'day all,

Yet the start of another week and we are halfway through March , unbelievable!

Went to the podiatrist this morning and had my orthotics adjusted. He convinced me to buy a new pair of sneakers. I was a bit reluctant to buy yet another pair of sneakers and then find I cannot wear them but alas I thought I had better do as I am told. I got 'Mizuno's', I had never heard of them but they are very comfortable (so far) of course they cost an arm and a leg but the chap in the shop told me to wear them around the house and if they give me blisters I can return them.
Here is hoping all will be well.

Karen your glasses sound nice, we will have to update the collage with your new glasses!

Marnie I wouldn't say I will know more about the US then you all do but I am very interested and when one of your cities , ie Minnesota, Ohio etc. is mentioned, I prick up my ears and find out what it is about.
We hear a bit about your elections but that is something I cannot comprehend, so much money spend on the campaigns and what do you get in return, is it worth the money?

Now that I am taking more of an interest, the one thing I really notice how affluent the supposed 'average' family is. When I watch Dr. Phil for instance and he has a video of the person with the problem filmed in their own environment, I am amazed at the size of the homes, I don't think I have ever seen anything much less then quite opulent. Perhaps it is those sort of people who have the problems

DH is in Sydney for the week, nice quite week for me!

Cheers
Maria
Old 03-16-2004, 08:10 AM   #14  

Morning,

Maria guess I will never make on Dr. Phil. Our house is very little. I always wonder when we drive through some subdivisions how they do it. Always young families with little kids. The Homerama this year is having 2 million dollar houses. I might have to go and see what you get for that kind of money. Found a site for you. http://www.roadsideamerica.com/ Has wacky things you just might not want to miss. lol

Woke up this morning to a blizzard. Yesterday I was working outside without a jacket. It was beautiful and now this mess. It has finally stopped so I hope my morning exercise class is still on.

Karen love the look of your new glasses. You will have to let us know how the rimless hold up. I need to go and get my eyes checked but I hate the cost of the glasses. How are you enjoying that morning coffee?

Slavika see that you are in your routine again. How is it going with the curtains?

Marnie have fun tomorrow wearing the green. I have to dig something green up. We had a big parade downtown on Sunday.

We went to the Home and Garden show over the weekend. It is always interesting to see the displays. I love the garden ones and wish I could pack them up and bring them home. The Junior League always has a good shopping and wishing area too.

Doing laundry-got to go get it out of the dryer.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:13 PM   #15  

Default Slainte!

I think that's an Irish Toast!

Peggy Yes, I have my green outfit all ready. I have a shamrock-covered tutle neck and a shirt that says "Ireland" on it.

I go to the eye doctor today and hope it is all good.

I'll check back later.

PS: Maria Our house is small, too. You must be looking at all the "rich" people's homes.

Marnie
Closed Thread