Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 09:48 AM   #1  

Default Beans and Popcorn

Hi there,

A few questions for you all.

Beans, they are full of carbs but I guess it is a good carb. I know we aren't supposed to count carbs so I am probably stuck in an old mentality here but it seems like they would slow weight loss? I love beans, very filling and good but am afraid to eat too many. Are they a good carb, is that why they are okay?

Also about popcorn, on Phase II it is okay to have, right? Daily? I love it.
Any recommendations on which brand to have.

Thanks
Tracy
Old 02-20-2004, 10:20 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

You will gain weight if you eat too much of anything but beans are a GOOD carb. They contain lots of fiber which makes them low on the GI scale. A serving is a half cup.
Popcorn is OK in moderation - skip the butter and have only two cups per day. I can't recommend a brand as I buy mine at the bulk food store and use an air popper.
Hope this helps a bit.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:21 AM   #3  
Reeling Reverend

Beans are great, but like everything, in moderation. It really depends on how your body reacts to them, as well. It also depends on the type of bean. If you can keep losing while having multiple servings, go nuts! ( Not really, of course)

I don't think popcorn everyday is a good idea. While it is a lower GI food, it's still chock full o' carbs, and comes from corn, which is a VERY starchy vegetable. If you MUST! I would recommend a real serving size, and a natural brand, probably with some butter to aid in digestion.

What does everyone else think? Good question!
Old 02-20-2004, 01:39 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

Butter! I'm shocked! Dr. A's hit squad will go after you, Caity!

I really feel that snack foods like popcorn, legal or not, are what got us in trouble in the first place so try to avoid them.... which is why I weigh 105 pounds!
Old 02-20-2004, 01:49 PM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

Oh, Ruth
Old 02-20-2004, 03:20 PM   #6  
Reeling Reverend

Well... he DOES say that you should have some fat when you're eating carbs... olive oil would be MUCH better, of course, but I don't think it would taste that great on popcorn

Yes, I too, weigh only 105 and by no means did I just enjoy the fake chocolate chip cookie from the low carb store.... teehee.

Life's too short not have popcorn once in a while.... imho....
Old 02-20-2004, 03:45 PM   #7  
Come on Spring!

Absolutely right and butter makes it even better. (I used to buy the light popcorn and pour melted butter over it - How dumb is that? Of course that's back when I was a yuppy.)
Old 02-20-2004, 04:22 PM   #8  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

Ruth, you kill me!
Old 02-20-2004, 04:57 PM   #9  
A Lily from my yard!

Angry

You can always use the spray butter. But he does recommend no butter on your popcorn. I posted a thread I think it's on page two that came from SBD. You might want to have a looksy at it as well. There I've put in my 2 cents as well!
Old 02-21-2004, 11:20 AM   #10  

Default Thanks much

Thanks Baimegurl (did I spell that wrong), I like the quote Very Nice!!

Thanks everyone else for replying so quickly, you help me very much, I appreciate it.

I found some mini bags of popcorn that are 94% fat free, learning to eat the occasional treat is where it's at. Life is too short to give it all up completely. But I agree with you Ruth, overindulging in all that snacky, sugary stuff got me where I am today, 105 pounds, he, he, he. I have to really watch it and remember I'm not a victim, poor me, I can't have that, it's a choice that I make.

Talk to you all later
Tracy
Closed Thread