Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 01:51 PM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Question Winter reading

It's the time of year when I like to curl up with a blanket, a hot cuppa and a good book

What is everyone reading these days or what are some of your favorite books you have recently read?

Right now I am reading:

Meditations for Women Who do too Much by Anne Wilson Schaef
Three Black Skirts - All you need to survive by Anna Johnson
(a funny guide to living life as a fabulous femme)
Death of a Ladies Man by Leonard Cohen
Old 02-01-2004, 02:20 PM   #2  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

I spent most of yesterday reading East of Eden. I am really enjoying it. Now I'm about half way though.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:20 PM   #3  
a new me, I soon will be

I've struggled through Three Weeks in Paris by Barbara Taylor Bradford for the past couple months. It just wasn't one of the books that I couldn't put down. Now, I've reading Cooking for Mr. Latte by Amanda Hesser. It's pretty cute and an easy read, plus since she's a food critic, she has added recipes in the book.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:57 PM   #4  

The last 3 books I read were:

Three Junes (which I finished last night) by Julia Glass

When the Emperor Was Divine by Julie Otsuka

The Life of Pi by Yann Martel

All 3 were GREAT reads!
Old 02-01-2004, 06:12 PM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

I'm reading Don't Stop the Carnival, by Herman Wouk.
And Growing up Stupid under the Union Jack, by Austin Clarke.
A History of God, by Karen Armstrong.
And re-reading Pilgrim, by Timothy Findley. (great book)
And I've got some cheesy Agatha Christie under my pillow... can't remember which one, but it puts me to sleep at night.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:32 AM   #6  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

just finished "This much I know" by Wally lamb last night.. very good.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:35 AM   #7  
Imagine...

Just started the DaVinci Code by Dan Brown, so far so good. Also I enjoyed his previous book Angles & Demons.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:39 AM   #8  

I've been reading books on the Modern Library list: you know the one, "top 100 books of the last century". I've always thought that my literary education was neglected because I'd read less than half of the books on the list.

It's funny, because I feel like I should like these books and see their depth and wonder as great pieces of literature and blah blah blah. But I don't like some of them. I hate James Joyce. Worse, I can't make myself like Hemingway no matter how hard I try.

I guess I will never be a proper literature snob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formia
The last 3 books I read were:

Three Junes (which I finished last night) by Julia Glass

When the Emperor Was Divine by Julie Otsuka

The Life of Pi by Yann Martel

All 3 were GREAT reads!
Speaking of books I am supposed to like but don't: I finally read Life of Pi. People have been telling me to read it for ages, and... well, it didn't work for me. But I want to know why other people enjoyed it so much. What did you like about it, Formia?
Old 02-02-2004, 12:59 PM   #9  
Waisting away

sflake - I heard that DaVinci's Code was really good. It's on my list.

snack - I'm an English major and I didn't and don't like a lot of those authors either. Don't worry about it. Be a snob and DON'T read them.

Well, I am currently devouring books by Janet Evanovich. Specifically her "Stephanie Plum" series, bounty hunter extraordinaire. They are so funny...they make me laugh out loud. My friend lent me the first three and as soon as I finished those I went to the library and got the next two, read them in less than a week and have just ordered the next two. I can hardly wait to get my hands on them. Then I pass them on to my mom and my sis who are also hooked.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:15 PM   #10  
a new me, I soon will be

Snack, I graduate with a degree in English and take it from someone who pretty much only took lit courses, if you don't like one then you pretty much don't like "none". All those "made to read" authors seem so dreary and depressing. I like in-depth stuff and looked for it in many of the works, but alas, I too, have not come close to completing that list because I cannot come close to finishing these books. I'm just the type of person who will quit reading a book if I find it confusing, depressing, or just plain dull.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:25 PM   #11  

Height: 5'-2"

Okay, I don't recommend Don't Stop the Carnival. I was hoping it would be as good as City Boy.

I just bought The Polished Hoe, by Austin Clarke. It's a wonderful book!
Old 02-03-2004, 02:07 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snack
Speaking of books I am supposed to like but don't: I finally read Life of Pi. People have been telling me to read it for ages, and... well, it didn't work for me. But I want to know why other people enjoyed it so much. What did you like about it, Formia?
Well, this isn't a very literary response or anything, but I really just loved the story/the adventure itself, not what it was supposed to mean (which I didn't quite "get") - kind of in the same way I enjoyed the movie "Castaway." (Does that make sense?)

sflake - DaVinci Code was so exciting! I haven't read Angels & Demons yet, it's on my "to read" list.

I started reading Orwell's 1984 because I'd heard so much about it... I loved it until about halfway through, then got bored and haven't picked it back up. Maybe later I will... I felt a little guilty because everyone seems to rave about it.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:14 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Okay...my most recent reads are:

"Grandmothers Secrets" by Rosina-Fawzia B. Al Rawi

"101 Nights of Grrreat Sex" by Laura Corn

The first one is about a little girl learning about belly dance and its rituals from her grandmother. It also has lots of information on the history of the dance, as well as technical aspects.

The second one is kinda fun...What it has is the book is divided into sections-50 for "His Eyes Only" and 50 for "Her Eyes Only." You and your partner are supposed to look in "your section" and each choose a "seduction/page" once a week to surprise each other with sometime that week. So...essentially with the project you will have 2 "surprises" each week-one from you to him, and one from him to you. Some of the things are pretty tame...just something a little different than everyday...and others are more on the wild side...or something you would do on a special occasion like an anniversary or holiday. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who offends easily...wait...this IS the Alternachicks section, isn't it?
Old 02-03-2004, 09:43 PM   #14  
Canadian, eh?

I recently read "Crow Lake" by Mary Lawson. Nice easy read about a young girl growing up on the Canadian Shield. Quite moving, actually.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:47 AM   #15  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

some of my all time favs :
Jonathon Livingston seagull.
"The search for signs of intelligent life in the universe " Jane wagner
"Mists of avalon" Marion Zimmerman bradley
and for some reason i love true crime books,
Closed Thread