Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 04:33 PM   #1  

Default Fibromyalgia #112

Well... looks like we have lost several threads and will be moving everything to a new server in a few days. Wonder what THAT will do to the forum! Hope nobody gets lost!!!
Old 01-08-2004, 01:44 PM   #2  

Default Hey There

It looks like a mess..I lost this site for 3 days and had a difficult time getting back on..
Out all day shopping for food that I was out of. Got Tops tonight .Only a blessing from God will save me at the scale..
Meme- The low/no carb diets are good for diabetics. I still am not eating carbs ,esp. the white foods. I really don't miss them too much. I eat a fruit when I start craving. I say a program yesterday on the low carb diets. It was all good news. One of the people on it was saying how his health has improved and he didn't even have to take insulin anymore.
Cool here for a few days. I for one like this weather.
Keep well and I hope we find each other again in a few days when they get through working on this thing...Joanne
Old 01-09-2004, 12:36 AM   #3  

They're not sending out notices when a new message has been posted and I don't know if everyone has bookmarked the site so they can get back in.

Hubby mentioned tonight that several people he works with have lost weight on the Atkins Diet. I told him I'd support him on whatever he decides to do but I couldn't do a diet with him. I have decided NOT to diet anymore. Diets don't work for me.

My back went out last night and I couldn't even get myself to bed. Hubby had to go get my crutches and I barely made it with those. By 3 a.m. it was a lot better and by 7 it was almost back to normal. Now I'm just sore all over. I got my blood checked on Monday and it's low... I'm so tired. Between that and this cough I've just been doing nothing all week.

Hope everyone makes it back in!
Old 01-09-2004, 01:42 AM   #4  

Hi Joanne and Meme. Boy, they have sure been having a tough go here. Hope they can get it back up and running smooth. Lot's of stuff lost. Ours isn't so important, but some forums have recipes and stuff.

Meme - hope you are feeling better. My back has been giving me problems - AGAIN. I get so sick of this all the time. I would like it to go back to where it was a few months ago. At least it didn't hurt all the time. I guess it will be the way it is. I NEED to lose some weight here. I agree, diets just don't work for me either. I don't know what does. I will keep trying.

Joanne - Thank goodness we didn't lose you. Mima may have problems finding us. I am still using my usual desktop icon and it works ok, so maybe everything will be ok. Good luck at TOPS!

It was so cold out, I decided to start walking in this building. I am doing the stairs then the floors - making 4 flights down and 4 flights up , then walking each loooong hallway. The other day I jogged a little. No wonder my back hurts. Anyway, I walked the Malls the past couple of days.

Went and got my hair cut and colored and I feel a lot better. Got a darker color put in, so I don't feel so wishy-washy. Hate that blonde. I haven't been blonde since I was7 or 8. He did put highlights in, so the grey will blend with it. Anyway, I am pleased with it.

Hope you both have a good sleep.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:44 AM   #5  

I'm here.....not feeling so good today, have beern doing the treadmill and ran up and down the stairs putting some Christmas stuff away (left my snowmen out so more to put away later) and now my hips and back hurt! I want to be normal and do things without pain!

Happy, do the stairs not bother your hips at all? Yes Diets do not work for the long haul and the meds we take makes it even harder! I gotta get off my cookie eating and get these few extra punds off before nothing fits..then I will be depressed

Meme....hope your back to normal!

Joanne...I do not want to get ont he scale either, gonna wait a few weeks if I can.

DH had to run his mom to the hospital, seems she had a mild stoke, (TIA)her blood pressure was over 200 and they couldn't figure out why(her meds were working good). When he called me I asked if they new what caused the high BP and could it be the cough medicine she was on. They thought I was dumb for asking and when they questioned her again she told them she had taken an OTC drug (robitussion)and they said that would do it, that had raised her BP. She of course blammed the Pharmacist...She just asked him what was a good OTC to take and didn't have him check her meds to see if she could even take it) hey you gotta ask questions and look out for yourself and she knows better (is always reading medical stuff and telling everyone else what to do!) She is back to normal right now.....the old bat! ( can you tell I think she is a pushy know it all) but DH has to take off work to go check on her and then get her settled in at home when she is released. She is a hypochondriac too, plus she has Fibro, that is her main problem she thinks that Fibro could not cause all her pain and keeps running to doc after doc to find out if she is dying! Then she will not accept what they tell her. She is so stubborn....Makes me really mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2004, 09:40 AM   #6  

Default Hey There

Happy- I am not getting notices from 3FC either. I have to take the long route to get on. I bet walking the stairs is giving you the back ache. Try doing one set of stairs and elevating to the other halls till you get used to it. You are probably doing too much at once.
Meme- Don't think about DIETS. Call it just a eating plan. I just can't do it if I think of it as a diet.
Candice- I got on the scale at TOPS and I must have had a angel sitting on my shoulder. I was the same weight as before Christmas. Just 2 1/2 lbs to my new goal. It is so hard . I am not going to stress it though. Just watch and pray. My hips and knees hurt all the time esp. when I walk. I can't let it go though.
I go to webmd almost every day.They really have some good tips on there.
I hope Mima and the rest of our girls can find us again.
Hello everybody...Joanne
Old 01-09-2004, 02:25 PM   #7  

Glad to see everyone is making it back in OK. Now we just need to hear from Ally, Anagram, Mima and our new people ... I don't think I missed anyone but anything is possible today. School is out because of snow and I have Ross!

Here is an article I found on 'dieting' that I thougt was interesting. I thought I would share it with you all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"People who want to lose weight are a very vulnerable group because they're very frustrated," Kathleen Zelman, MPH, RD/LD, director of nutrition for the WebMD Weight Loss Clinic, tells WebMD. "Weight loss is hard, and everybody is looking for a silver bullet."

How can you discern which weight loss claims are true or false? Here's some advice from Zelman and from the Federal Trade Commission:

Does the diet promote rapid weight loss?

That's a clear signal it's unrealistic, says Zelman. When you start a diet, water weight is the first to go, she explains. If you lose much more than two pounds a week, you're drawing from both fat and muscles. That's not good, because muscle is one big factor that controls your metabolism. If you lose muscle mass, your metabolism will slow down. That's how the yo-yo cycle begins -- and that's one reason why some diets don't work, she explains.

"That's why we advocate losing weight slowly and gradually, so you're losing one to two pounds per week," Zelman says. "You're eating more food than diets allow, but you're tapping into stored fat more efficiently."

Does the weight loss program involve eating just one food -- or eliminating whole food groups?

"That's crazy," says Zelman. "No one can stay on those diets very long."

Sure, you can do it in the short term -- with some success, she says. "If you're eating all the cabbage or meat you want, you go into a state of ketosis. This causes your appetite to go away, so ultimately you don't eat as much -- probably you're down to a 1,000-calorie diet. Anyone on a 1,000-calorie diet will lose weight.

"Even the strangest diets will pull weight off you, because the basic formula to weight loss is burning more calories than you eat."

Does the program help you change long-term eating habits?

If not, you'll just get caught up in a never-ending lose-gain cycle -- better known as "yo-yo" dieting.

Most diets are short-term fixes for a long-term problem, says Zelman. "People who get slim and stay that way have changed their eating habits and attitudes toward food."

Does it involve exercise?

If it doesn't, you will gain the weight back. "Research shows that individuals who exercise on a regular basis have much greater success at losing weight and keeping it off ... Exercise is critical to weight loss success," Cedric Bryant, PhD, chief exercise physiologist for the American Council on Exercise, tells WebMD.

You need an hour of aerobic exercise -- at least five times per week -- if you seriously want to lose weight, says Bryant. "That doesn't need to be in one concentrated dose, because calorie-burning effects accumulate over time."

Also, you need strength training two times a week to build muscle. Lifting weights or working with rubber tubes helps maintain and can also increase the level of lean body mass -- which helps your metabolism burn calories.

"Two-thirds of the calories a person burns over the course of a day are from resting metabolism," says Bryant. "If you're on a restricted diet (decreasing calories and nutrients) and not doing resistance training (to build muscle), it's not uncommon to see resting metabolism decrease -- so you won't lose weight."

Are supplements, creams, or patches involved?

If so, forget it. "It's the old saying, 'if it sounds too good to be true, it is.' Why would we have an obesity epidemic if it was as easy as popping a pill?" says Zelman.

"By and large, products are not capable of helping you lose weight. Ephedra has been banned from the market, and it was the major ingredient of weight-loss supplements." That should send a big message: These things are either not healthy or do not work, she says.

Products that block absorption of fat, such as Xenical or Orlistat, may have only minor weight-loss potential -- and they're expensive, says Zelman.

The problem: "These are all Band-Aid approaches to the problem. Even though it's not sexy, and not any fun, people know what they need to do. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that eating sweets, eating constantly, drinking alcohol, eating fast food are all the things that add extra calories."

Is there sound research behind the weight-loss program?

"Not all studies are created equal, and there are plenty sponsored by companies to get the answers they want. So a fair amount of skepticism is in order," says Zelman.

If the study involves small numbers of people the the results are less meaningful. Use caution when making any decisions based on the finding. Also, if claims only involve anecdotes and testimonials, beware.

Is the weight-loss program compatible with your lifestyle?

"If it's asking you to eat every three hours, to buy special foods and prepare them specially, it might be more trouble than it's worth and you won't do it," says Zelman.

Does it sound easy?

Diets or supplements that tout "no dieting or exercise needed" or "permanent weight loss, even if you stop using the product," are bogus, says the FTC. If you rely on supplements or too-strict diets you're wasting your time, Zelman explains.

Likewise, don't put much weight in the negative-calorie food diet. The theory there is that when you eat lettuce, celery, and other near-zero calorie foods, your body burns more calories simply digesting them. Give me a break, says Zelman. "You may burn a few calories, but so what?"

Sure, some diets work and they're healthy, Zelman says. "The Atkins and South Beach diets both have merit," she says.

Also, "protein and calcium are showing great promise as weight loss enhancers," she tells WebMD. "But they're not miracle foods; you still have to eat a low-calorie diet, and you still have to exercise."

Published Jan. 7, 2004.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:48 PM   #8  

Good info Meme.

I am starting off my day with a cleanse. I mixed up cranberry Juice from concentrate (no sugar), orange juice, lemon juice, lots of water, nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger. You boil it all together and sip it during the day, along with water. Supposed to cleanse the liver so that the liver can better handle fat processing. Also supposed to give you lots of energy. It is a 24 hr. thing. Ann Louise Gittleman, top nutritionist in the USA, advises doing this only 1 day every 30 days or more. Supposed to be good for the old body! Day to relax in. Nothing strenuous.

Tomorrow I will start on a sensible eating plan and this time I intend to get rid of the pounds.

Another book I was reading, said to gather up some books, put them on a scale until they measure the amount of weight you want to lose. Then, put them in a packsack (mine would never fit) and lug them around for awhile. When you take them off you will notice how much lighter you feel. That is the feeling you will always have when you get rid of the pounds. I know I will feel better when it is gone, but I have had such a problem getting it to MOVE!!!!
Old 01-11-2004, 05:17 AM   #9  

Meme..I already knew all that stuff but liked reading it again. seems I can never get enough information on the subject or health subjects in general.

Happy..do not eat anything the whole day when you drink the juice? I would be so hungry and have such a headache! Hope you made it through the day ok!

Joanne...way to go! That was really good news huh.....

The board is gonna be down again Sunday......
Old 01-11-2004, 11:33 AM   #10  

Default Hey There

Is anybody getting e-mail notices from 3FC??
Candice -I am one of those who can weigh one thing and then get on the scale and be 5 lbs up in just a day or two. I retain fluid and trying to lose is a real hassle. Went to a shower and ate deviled eggs and some cheese. That is all it takes..
It can take me weeks to lose a lb sometimes.
Cold here today.. 40's are cold for us down here. It warms up pretty fast though..
Hello everybody...Joanne
Old 01-11-2004, 02:33 PM   #11  

I'm the same way, Joanne. I ate some Ritz chips last night... yum. Have any of you tried those yet? I love Ritz crackers but the chips are divine. I bought some sour cream and onion ones and I couldn't stop eating them... well, needless to say, the salt pushed me up 4 1/2 whopping pounds this morning. I swell at nothing but salty snacks push me over the top!

As for the article, there's just no way I'm going to be able to exercise for an hour five times a week. Just forget it!

I could do the cleansing thing... but I hate cranberry juice... nasty stuff! Guess my liver will just have to stay dirty.

3fc is not sending out email notices until they get on their new server... it'll be another week or so.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:50 AM   #12  

Default Hey There

I for one will be so glad when they get back on tract at 3FC!!!!!!!!!
Busy day for me so I will just say Hi. I have been all over the place in order to get back here. I was even in 2000 at one point!!!!!!!!!! See you later when I get caught up
Joanne
Old 01-12-2004, 03:43 PM   #13  

Joanne, you should be able to get in just by going to http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ Our thread is listed on that page.

I was up a pound today. Swelling from all the salt I've been eating no doubt!

Gotta do better this week.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:23 PM   #14  

Default Finally

hi guys-been here almost 2 weeks but I have no computer access-at son's right now. Getting the phone on Friday.Very busy setting up!!!And always at Suoer Walmart where we get the Blue Bunny ice cream with Splenda. It's been cool-went to Goodwill to buy some warmer clothes. Went to a dance last night-it was over at 10. weight staying same !!I WILL go home that way. I'm not going through that again. At Mike's for dinner. Yum yum. Bye for now-talk Friday. Mima
Old 01-12-2004, 07:06 PM   #15  

Hi Mima, glad you were able to find us. Nice to hear from you. I guess it all takes a while to get settled. You seem to have good determination - that is great. Ice Cream made with Splenda would be a lifesaver for most of us. I love the Yogurt made with Splenda. Mix it with plain and it still tastes great.

Joanne, put it on your desk top. When you come here next time, just right click and click 'Set as desk top item'. Then you will always have it handy right on your desktop.

Well Joanne, we were almost as warm as you - for one day, and that WAS the high. Nevertheless, it was a beautiful day for us, except for the freezing rain that came along with it.

Yes, Candice, climbing the stairs hurts my hips and my back a lot. Have had to quit for a little while, but will get back to it - only slower.

Meme - like you, I cannot exercise for 5 hours a week!!!! I can't even imagine trying to do that. Hope you lose your pound again. Salt is bad for water retention all right. Just drink lots of water and flush it out.

Everyone have a nice evening.
Closed Thread