Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 07:57 AM   #1  
Meg

Thumbs down LWL #124 -- Week of October 13-20

Good morning and happy new week! I got back from NYC last night — went along on one of DH’s business trips. He was tied up in meetings until Friday afternoon, so I was on my own to explore for the first few days and decided to walk everywhere. Not only is walking great exercise, but it’s the best way to experience a city! I just took off every morning and explored in different directions, from the designer boutiques to the Museum of Art to the Garment District to Macy’s (I thought of David Sedaris and the elves, if you’ve ever read his Christmas story )

Then Friday night we walked to the theater and saw The Lion King, which was unbelievable! The costumes and staging and acting were out of this world. On Saturday we had dinner at a lovely French restaurant and I dressed for the occasion in an ivory silk blouse, black pants, and black suede hiking boots ! By that time, I had done so much walking that I couldn’t get my feet into normal shoes, let alone high heels. So I wore my hiking boots and held my head high and no one said a word.

I did the best that I could on the food — talked about it a bit on the menu thread. It’s a relief to be back home where I can eat what I like and control how it’s prepared because I always assume that restaurants add gobs of fat to make things taste good. At least all of the walking cancelled out the food — my goal was to come back weighing what I did when I left and I do.

The hotel actually had a decent exercise room, so I was able to get up early and work out. They had about 10 cardio machines, 10 exercise machines, a rack of dumbbells up to 30# and two sets of Powerblocks, which I had never seen before but are really nifty. So between all of that I did shoulders, back, chest, and arms on the four days. I decided NOT to do legs since I was walking so much. So today is leg day!

I read Dr. Phil’s book and Tom Venuto’s Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle while I was gone. The two books dovetail together perfectly — Dr. Phil deals with the head stuff and Venuto addresses the nuts and bolts of weight loss. Together they would make an awesome program. I'm thinking about what to do next.

One last thing — I bought my first pair of size 2 pants while I was in NY. I’ve noticed for a while that my 4s are getting loose and when I was in Bloomingdale's I tried on some 4s that were gaping around the waist and hips. So for fun I grabbed 2s and they fit — I couldn’t believe it! (and it could be a total fluke but of course, I bought them ) I stood there in the dressing room, literally with tears in my eyes, looking in the mirror and thinking about where I came from — 257 pounds and size 22. I thought about the hours of cardio, pushing myself on weights past the point of pain, all the food I’ve said “no” to in the past 2 and a half years. I thought about all of you and how much support I get here. And I looked at myself in the mirror and said oh yes, it was all worth it, every bit of it, and there IS a pay-off and a reward for all that we do (and give up). So the point of this isn’t to be obnoxious about wearing a small size — it’s to say to anyone who is just starting a journey into weight loss and it seems so long and hard or to anyone who is bogged down in the middle — if I can do this, you can too. Even if you’re a middle-aged perimenopausal couch potato with thyroid problems (moi) — you can do this too. Believe me, there’s nothing special about me and I don’t know any weight loss secrets or gimmicks. One day at a time — every day — one foot in front of the other — and just never give up.

I’ll have to go back and read what I’ve missed later but for now it’s great to be back!

Meg
Old 10-13-2003, 08:20 AM   #2  

Quote:
I stood there in the dressing room, literally with tears in my eyes, looking in the mirror and thinking about where I came from — 257 pounds and size 22. I thought about the hours of cardio, pushing myself on weights past the point of pain, all the food I’ve said “no” to in the past 2 and a half years. I thought about all of you and how much support I get here. And I looked at myself in the mirror and said oh yes, it was all worth it, every bit of it, and there IS a pay-off and a reward for all that we do
Awww, Meg!! Way to go!!

I'm scolding myself right now for sleeping in past 8:00 - we're off for Columbus Day, but I had still wanted to get up at my usual time and hit my 6:00 spinning class... oh well... guess I'll improvise and make today a lifting day (I'm not sure I could egg myself on for any intense cardio, after all of these running days as of late) - but then again, I just woke up, so the thought of anything intense seems impossible at the moment!

Have a great Monday, ladies!
Old 10-13-2003, 08:24 AM   #3  

Dip (wasn't sure you'd check last week's thread, so I'm posting a reply here) - I had never run before up until about 2 months ago, so I know you can do it! It's the hardest thing I've ever done, cardio-wise, but that's the appeal at the moment. It it weren't for having this 5K looming over my head, I'm not sure that I would be progressing the way that I am. I figure, hey, even if I can only run 2 miles of it, that's still two more miles than I was running two months ago, right? I started walking 45 minutes 3 mornings a week, and each week, I'd include 1/4 mile of running. So, I definetely took it slow.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:59 AM   #4  

Great post Meg! I've been pretty busy lately, and eating and exercising both haven't been so hot. I'm so ill-disciplined... I will will will improve this week!
Old 10-13-2003, 11:29 AM   #5  
cookies are for browsers

AWESOME POST, MEG!! YOU ARE AMAZING!!!

Me, I have not been very hard on program these first two weeks of challenge 2. I have been trying to juggle workouts and it's not easy, plus PMS then horrifying pain. How do you work out through severe pain? It's a mystery, but I haven't been slacking 100% and my eating has been about 80% on. This week is going to be better. I have rescheduled my workouts so I can actually keep on schedule and I went grocery shopping so I can be in control and eating well.

Haven't posted much lately, been crazybizzy, but hi to all and thanks again Meg for your great post.

PS to Dip - great job on the mile!! I'm so proud of you! I wish I'd been at the gym to be your cheerleader. In short, I know the feeling and here's to you!!!
Old 10-13-2003, 12:48 PM   #6  
Searching

Meg-YOUR AWESOME! I hope in 2 years I can look back and say I came so far.

I jog so anyone can jog. When I do my HIIT I jog in 1 min intervals, I am so proud of myself when I am doing the 12 mile/min. Though its probably the most obscene Baywatch scene you have ever seen, despite wearing 2-3 bras! LOL!

I did a 2.0 mile charity walk yesterday. I walked with a young man from the Sudan that had true "runners" legs. He kept my heart going and it felt wonderful. I do something for me and charity!

I pigged out this weekend. But I am not going to mourn over it. It was my 13th wedding anniversary and my hubby's birthday. Those carmel apples are going to continue to taunt me through the whole month of October, especially when they have nits, chocolate, and marshmallow on them.

HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DAY LADIES!
Miss Chris
Old 10-13-2003, 01:52 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Hi girls

I have been sooo OFF track of late don't know what has gotten into me... Today I started on a positive mental note... Then as I wasputting away the left-over pies in a container so that I wouldn't see them on the counter I had 2 pieces of pumpkin pie...Like I needed that after yesterday's food fest... But I guess I am only 2 hours away from a clean meal which BTW is only in an hour... I am thinking if I am like this on ThanksGiving, which is really no big deal around here, except an extra day off for most... I can only imagine the Christmas season!! I will have to start psyching myself now!..

Sorry if this post is only about me... but I will be back later...

Meg, my buddy, I'm so happy you had a great time in NYC, and a size 2!! WOW I'm so proud of you!!...

Later all...
Old 10-13-2003, 05:17 PM   #8  
Central Coast Chick

Hi Ladies

I just thought I should tell you that JC may not be around this week. Her father died late on Sunday night so she drove down to Melbourne yesterday (about 10 hours drive south from Sydney) to be with her family. She believes the funeral will be on Thursday so she will probably be back in Sydney on Friday night or Saturday morning.

As some of you would know, he'd been pretty sick for a while so while his passing is sad, it's also a blessing for he's no longer in pain.

Love ya JC

Jayne
Old 10-13-2003, 05:28 PM   #9  
Meg

Default Ilene!

Ilene — my buddy — pumpkin pie happens, you know? It’s over and done with and I know you won’t do it again since you sound so miserable now. Not worth it, right? I keep having to learn that lesson over and over again myself but it’s never as good as we imagine and the last bites don’t taste any different than the first few (so why keep going?)

Here’s the deal — you and I are going to make it through all these holidays together, one day at a time. Before we go to bed, let’s plan what we’ll have for breakfast (but no pie). After breakfast, we’ll get on the computer and plan the day — and then we’ll do it (don’t know about you but I’m much less likely to screw up if I tell others what I’ll do). Then we can come back and post about our success.

Don’t worry about next week or next month. All we care about is tomorrow — Tuesday, October 14. And you can make it through ONE day clean, right?

For me, it’s all about accountability and partnership. So how about if we be partners in this and be accountable to each other? You’re one tough chickie — I KNOW what you do in the gym. So I’m sure you can be tough in the kitchen too. How about it, Eagle Eye?

Meg
Old 10-13-2003, 05:37 PM   #10  

Meg, I'm sitting here blubbering like a baby, after reading your post. I'll be back later - can't see right now for the tears.

dip
Old 10-13-2003, 06:09 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

Oh Meg!!! You are such a friend in deed!! I wish we lived closer so we could workout and eat (heathy foods of course) together... The rest of my day was ok, not good, not even perfect... I had turkey and turnip with macaroni salad (not good)... but I did drink alot of water and like you said Meg tomorrow is a new day... I'll go for a walk later too...

Thanks for that beautiful post Meg, and I'm right there with you in the puddle of tears Dip...

Later....
Old 10-13-2003, 06:43 PM   #12  

This sounds like a perfect moment to pass along a gem from Mariam Nelson (author of Strong Women Stay Young -- a great book about the value of weight training, for those of you who haven't ready it) and Dr. Pamela Peek, both of whom are quoted in the November Oprah in a cover story on recovering from a stumble.

The article focuses on getting back on tract, and in a section subtitled, Shifting Gears, the two of them note that any number of things can throw you off track -- illness, job shift, tough work deadline. On those days, they suggest that you shift from Plan A (that's what you use when all systems are go) to Plan B, when everything feels like it's in a shambles.

Listen to this: "When something goes wrong, the tendency is to cling desperately to your normal routine, then to berate yourself or feel paralyzed by unmet expectations."

Does that sound familiar, anyone?

Says Peeke: Give up on Plan A. Let me repeat: GIVE UP ON PLAN A. The sooner you do so, you sooner you'll be free to take care of yourself.

So, what might Plan B be? Nelson has examples: If you normally run on the treadmill, then Plan B might be a 10-minute walk at lunchtime 3 times a week. If you usually lift weights for 30 minutes, then just do your biceps curls and overhead presses.

This to me is a lightbulb moment. It is better to do what we *can* do than throw in the towel and berate ourselves for what we can't do. Our obstacles are real; we don't make up sick kids, bosses from **** and injuries. And sometimes, we're just too tired to toot. We have to do what we can.

Last week, I was unable to exercise according to plan. I was feeling decidedly grumpy about it, and I was giving myself a pretty good going over. After reading this advice, I thought OK -- if I can't do a full workout, I CAN do a set of curls. And if I only exercise one body part a day, then that's what I can do. It surely is better than doing nothing.

Likewise, I ran out of BFL-type food at the end of the week, so I had to make some choices. I chose good food, but it wasn't totally clean. However, I didn't gain weight and I didn't sabatoge myself. I just ate a few more carbs than I might have. But I was so determined to stick to my BFL Plan A eating, that I was almost distraught with myself.

So, like Meg says, let's do this together. We eat clean. We exercise. And we make allowances for life because life happens. And when it does, we pick ourselves up, turn to each other for support, and carry on.

Gee, when did this soapbox get so high? I think I can get off now without breaking my neck.

Hang in there.

Airegrrl (aka Indiana Robin)
Old 10-13-2003, 07:33 PM   #13  

This sounds like a perfect moment to pass along a gem from Mariam Nelson (author of Strong Women Stay Young -- a great book about the value of weight training, for those of you who haven't ready it) and Dr. Pamela Peek, both of whom are quoted in the November Oprah in a cover story on recovering from a stumble.

The article focuses on getting back on tract, and in a section subtitled, Shifting Gears, the two of them note that any number of things can throw you off track -- illness, job shift, tough work deadline. On those days, they suggest that you shift from Plan A (that's what you use when all systems are go) to Plan B, when everything feels like it's in a shambles.

Listen to this: "When something goes wrong, the tendency is to cling desperately to your normal routine, then to berate yourself or feel paralyzed by unmet expectations."

Does that sound familiar, anyone?

Says Peeke: Give up on Plan A. Let me repeat: GIVE UP ON PLAN A. The sooner you do so, you sooner you'll be free to take care of yourself.

So, what might Plan B be? Nelson has examples: If you normally run on the treadmill, then Plan B might be a 10-minute walk at lunchtime 3 times a week. If you usually lift weights for 30 minutes, then just do your biceps curls and overhead presses.

This to me is a lightbulb moment. It is better to do what we *can* do than throw in the towel and berate ourselves for what we can't do. Our obstacles are real; we don't make up sick kids, bosses from **** and injuries. And sometimes, we're just too tired to toot. We have to do what we can.

Last week, I was unable to exercise according to plan. I was feeling decidedly grumpy about it, and I was giving myself a pretty good going over. After reading this advice, I thought OK -- if I can't do a full workout, I CAN do a set of curls. And if I only exercise one body part a day, then that's what I can do. It surely is better than doing nothing.

Likewise, I ran out of BFL-type food at the end of the week, so I had to make some choices. I chose good food, but it wasn't totally clean. However, I didn't gain weight and I didn't sabatoge myself. I just ate a few more carbs than I might have. But I was so determined to stick to my BFL Plan A eating, that I was almost distraught with myself.

So, like Meg says, let's do this together. We eat clean. We exercise. And we make allowances for life because life happens. And when it does, we pick ourselves up, turn to each other for support, and carry on.

Gee, when did this soapbox get so high? I think I can get off now without breaking my neck.

Hang in there.

Airegrrl (aka Indiana Robin)
Old 10-13-2003, 08:49 PM   #14  
Peace with body and soul

((JC))

I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss..prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:10 PM   #15  
Ilene the Bean

Airegrrl and Meg, thank you for your insight, now the start of this week seems so much brighter... I should have spoken sooner and asked for help, but I'm not used to that... I will from now on and will think of a Plan B next time, what a great idea Robin!! Yep I just got a light bulb moment also...Life is great once again!

Hubby and I went for a walk too and that was very refreshing also...

Later all...
Closed Thread