Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-04-2016, 09:01 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat July 4 - July 10

Seem to have trouble remembering that a Monday holiday is still a Monday, LOL.

I'm celebrating that I finished replacing an outside frost-free faucet - an easy job that only took HOURS longer than I expected. Not counting the multiple trips to Home Depot to buy the very-last part that I need.

But, I didn't eat over it. And navigating Home Depot is a bit of exercise.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:08 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Well hi there, Bill!

There is nothing like plumbing repair. I can't tell you how many hours I have spent with "simple" repairs that took all day and three trips. It doesn't help when it's a weekend...

Have a healthy snack and relax!
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning and happy 4th to all!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I'm back online after a nerve-wracking 24+hours. Land line was out too. Had to check my email by taking my laptop to a client's house - nice of them to allow that. But everything's back up now -

A belated Happy 4th of July to the Americans!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Dh left today for China. I won't see him till I get to Japan on July 21! Lots to do before then.
Dd goes back to Arizona tomorrow and I'm very ready for a couple weeks of focusing on losing 5 pounds if possible....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:28 AM   #6  

I'll join you on those 5 pounds, Michele.

I'm feeling like I'm in a rut. I don't know why, except my daily life is pretty much the same, over and over and over. I do have a couple vacations to look forward to, but there is this weird funk that's gotten into me. I think some of it has to do with this weight that doesn't want to go away, but I don't know for sure.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:43 PM   #7  
Workin' It

I'm in a little bit of a funk, myself. Lots of crazy around me the last few weeks. Not sure how to resolve most of it.

DH hasn't been feeling well for a few weeks. He's going to the doctor tomorrow. I suspect acid reflux, but we need to know. He's been stressed out, and as a result I'm stressed out and not sleeping well. The night before last I was awake from 3:15-5am, then last night I woke up at 2:30 and never made it back to sleep. My fitbit says I slept 1:52. And boy I can feel it.

I found out that my recovered alcoholic and drug addict uncle has fallen back into his addiction, this time with prescription medications rather than the illegal substances of his early youth. He'd been sober for 25 years. I'm a little heart broken. It is ripping the family apart around it.

And I am TIRED.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Shannon re your uncle. Some people win the battle and spend the remainder of their life sober, some not. It may be a situational thing and he may recover again.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:39 AM   #9  

What's today? Thursday? Weight about where I was last week. So the weekend blip came off, but nothing more. My DD and SIL are coming for dinner tonight to pick up her animals. I'll be good.

S-not good. Woken twice by alarm company because of a faulty detector at our office
E-probably nothing
B-berries
L-1/2 pb&j sandwich, potato salad
D-shish kebabs over rice, salad
Old 07-07-2016, 01:52 PM   #10  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Getting back into the posting thing. Been at the new job almost 4 months and finally getting to where I might be able to drop in during lunchtime on a much more regular basis. Good to see familiar faces! I even subscribed to the threads again!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:58 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

I'm doing my weekly fly-by. I'm a week past chemo #2 of 4, and feeling okay so far. My stomach did not feel as cranky this time through. My weight dropped again, although not as much. I am packing for my first car camping/day hiking trip since chemo started. My hair is gone but it is lovely in this very hot weather we've been having

Michele, I hope your old kitty improves! A long time ago I had a cat with chronic organ disease (trying to remember if it was kidney or liver). She was on a low-protein diet. If she ate something she wasn't allowed, immediate dehydration would result. The vet gave me bags of lactated ringer's solution to keep at home, and I'd give her a subcutaneous dose of fluids when that happened. She lived to a fairly old age, but finally nothing helped.

With seven cats, it's a wonder I don't have a trip to the vet story every week, but thankfully they are usually healthy. This past week. poor little Patrick disappeared for a couple of days. Finally he emerged from under the house with a very mangled face. His lower lip had a large split in it, and the upper lip had several swollen oozing areas. And of course this was the afternoon of July 2, with the vet closed on Sunday the third and Monday the fourth. Fortunately I had some leftover cat antibiotic to give him. Since he seemed to be drinking a bit and would eat some canned food, I chose to wait until Tuesday to take him in instead of spending a small fortune at the emergency clinic. I figured if he needed stitching or plastic surgery or whatever, the wound wasn't fresh by this point anyway. My best guess is that he tangled with a ground squirrel that was too big for him. He's caught some big ones in the past, but my, are they fierce, and if he couldn't keep his grip he'd be in trouble! Anyway, the vet doesn't think he needs stitching. He says the split lip will scar over once the swelling goes down. Poor little guy is getting some extra TLC in his cat condo right now as well as a daily dose of Orbax.

Shannon, so sorry to hear about your uncle. Addiction problems are always so sad for the family. Usually the addicted party seems oblivious. It's another one of those uncontrollable things.

I hope everyone will have a good weekend. California people, the prediction is for cooler weather! Hooray!
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:27 AM   #12  

Oh, poor Patrick! That's gotta hurt. Speaking of cats, my oldest (6 years old) cat's littermate (he's one of six boys) has cancer. It makes me worry about mine. Does having a littermate with a problem make the others more susceptible?

My DD and SIL came for dinner last night to collect her animals. We babysat her cat and MIL and FIL babysat their cats. I stopped at the grocery store and bought some premade shish kebabs and served them over rice. MIL brought salad. DH grilled the kebabs. OMG, were they delicious! Glad we have leftovers (although I suspect DS will eat them for lunch one day). In any case, these will be purchased again as they were so good.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:05 AM   #13  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Allison, is he purebred? There is very little information on heritability of cancers in non-purebred cats, which most pet cats in the US are (DSH = "domestic short hair" etc). A few breeds have known predilections for certain diseases, but whether a cat in general is more likely to have cancer if a littermate does, is just not known. We so rarely have info on littermates except when a breeder is involved, and in that case they're often not eager to report the occurrence of diseases in their line.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:19 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeeJay View Post
Allison, is he purebred? There is very little information on heritability of cancers in non-purebred cats, which most pet cats in the US are (DSH = "domestic short hair" etc). A few breeds have known predilections for certain diseases, but whether a cat in general is more likely to have cancer if a littermate does, is just not known. We so rarely have info on littermates except when a breeder is involved, and in that case they're often not eager to report the occurrence of diseases in their line.
Nope, he is (as are all my cats) a DSH. His mom may have been Siamese (she had the colors in any case) and his dad was most likely a large, black alley cat. The litter was an "oops, I let my unaltered female cat out for five minutes and she got pregnant" litter. Mom was just under a year old.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:28 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Shannon,
I'm terribly sorry about your uncle.

Alice,
Glad you're feeling pretty well. Poor Patrick though!
Charlotte seems happy so I'm cautiously hopeful the medicine she's on will help. I certainly don't want to worry about her when I go to Tokyo.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote